• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help me decide: Scarab or Yamaha 195

H20Thrust

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm really torn.

I've been looking at any video or article I can find to help guide me on this boat pruchase. I've definitely gotten it narrowed down to 2 boats. One is a 2017 Scarab 195 with the wake package and the other is a 2022 Yamaha 195S.

I love the graphics and look of the Scarab, butit seems like the Yamaha has more usable room onboard, and particularly better storage. Is this true? Anyone used both and can compare? I like the back patio of the Scarab better. Do the J seats make that big of a difference in seating on the Scarab? Do Scarab owners find they don't have enough room for things.

Are the lack of pullout plugs that big of a deal?

I want to be able to wake surf but I can always add ballast and a wake shaper later. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys could offer.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I can't comment on the comparison. But I can tell you that the plugs, it all depends on the waters you're on. What type of debris? Weeds/seaweed, density, etc. Some keep finding ropes/garbage, etc. on their water ways and that can cause issues on Scarabs because of the lack of access. On the other hand, "normal" sized weeds aren't really an issue. It just chops it up. I have over 160h on my little Scarab. Out of all those years, I had a single incident, a piece of wood. AND I fully knew what I was doing when I sucked it up. I was in 1ft of water and idling slowly. That's asking for trouble. lol I was able to go under the boat and pull it out. Not everyone is that lucky.

For myself, I'm quite happy with my Scarab choice. The plugs are a non issue on the waters I'm on.

With that being said, I bought my Scarab because there was no other small jet boat (I have the 165). Pros/cons to all brands. Choose the one that makes most sense to you based on your boating.

JetBoat195G

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
This is a very subjective decision, but I thought that the thread below might be useful to you.

I've had my 2019 Scarab 195G for four seasons and have really enjoyed it. I've had a few inconvenient problems: O2 sensor, relay, toggle switch, etc., but I really like the styling. I've never had an issue with storage, but we don't surf. This Scarab forum has many threads to give you insight into what others like and haven't liked about the Scarabs.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I also have a 2019 Scarab 195. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but I think that the Yamaha does have more internal storage. I think that scarab's want to "finish" all the under seat storage the resulted in smaller spaces. I'm not convinced that the Yamaha has more cabin space, however. Maybe if you get a version without dual captain chairs.

The versa-lounge, is a fantastic feature. Gives you the best of three worlds. Trust me, your SO will love it!

Can't comment on the wake package as I dont have it. Scarab and Yamaha kind of do what they can, but if that's really important to you, then a larger and heavier boat would probably be better.

I have never had any issue with weeds, or anything for that matter, getting sucked in and being an issue. The few times it's happened, a quick reverse manuever cleared it up so I don't see not having the ports as a liability. That being said, if I have to jump into the freezing water sometime and clean 'em out, I may change my tune.

From what I've heard/read the Scarabs/BRPs are much more manueverable at slow speeds. To the point that it's almost like having bow thrusters. Yamaha has improved low-speed maneuvering from the factory, and there are multiple 3rd-party offerings but I think that Scarabs are still better stock. Also, and I dont know if Yamaha does this, but BRP's iST gives you a true neutral (with caveat) that also allows you to rotate the boat when not moving.

Of course the biggest deterrant from the Scarab might be cost. Yamaha produce so many boats that they can offer them at significantly lower prices. Also, Yamaha seems to have many more interior configurations available. And since they make more boats, also have a larger dealer/repair center network. Finally, more boats generally mean more after-market accessory availablity as well.

Take all this with a grain of salt: I've never owned a Yamaha and have only ridden in one a handful of times. I just know that I'm happy with mine and don't regret my purchase. In fact, I'm scheduled to pick up a new 215 this spring.

One thing for sure: No matter which one you finally decide on, your gonna have a blast! :D

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
With that being said, I bought my Scarab because there was no other small jet boat (I have the 165).
Funny, I was just thinking on how there's still no other offering in that size. I would have thought it to be realy popular with the younger crowd (i.e. no kids) that want the fun and maneuverability of a jetski without actually being on a jetski. I'd like to try one one day. It seems like the 165 gives you almost the same thrills while staying inside the vessel. Plus you can chill-out off the back when you want to relax. It's almost the best of both worlds. Surprising that no other manufacturers decided to challenge that market.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@Nexus I agree with everything you said if that means anything to others. lol

And yeah, it's a little surprising there's not more options in that size. I suspect it's lower profits or something of the sort. Too bad, since it does fill a nice segment.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
As a 195s owner I’m bias. I will say this, if you are always trailering the boat getting a supercharged model is okay. If you’re leaving it in the water for any length of time, getting gas is a pain. If I go somewhere for a week and rent a lake house, there are no docks that have 91 octane gas. I also like to go fast, but rarely do we cruise in the 40’s. May say some bucks and headaches to go with a AR190. If I was going to do it again that is what I would do.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think the scarabs are bad ass boats! But, the thing that sold me on the Yamaha was the clean out ports.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Definitely came to the best place to ask the question, but....... this is the same thing as a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. I suggest get what you like the most. I believe that a 2017 Rotax supercharger still needs a rebuilt every 200 hours or so. If that is still true, that would be one negative from me. Other than that, beautiful boats and either one would be a great choice.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think The Yamaha SC’s needs to have their clutch replaced at 200 hrs … I’d have to look at a manual. Adding the pop off valves keeps them in much better shape.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I think The Yamaha SC’s needs to have their clutch replaced at 200 hrs … I’d have to look at a manual. Adding the pop off valves keeps them in much better shape.
I'm looking for that since this is the first I've ever heard about that. I was pretty sure its "maintenance free". Please let me know what you find.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@jdkaeser Just to make sure, you're aware your boat CAN take lower octane right? Having the higher octane helps with performance but your engine can take as low as 87 octane in North America. It will work just fine, just won't necessarily give you full performance.

@Michal Yes, older models need a rebuild of the supercharger. Switchover happened around that time. I think it was 2018... so 2017 and previous would need them. There's a way to tell based on a specific nut on the supercharger.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3199DC88-D854-4434-8C61-C6DC82CEC23E.gif
Go bigger than a 19 footer if you can!

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I don't know why anyone would even consider a Scarab with all of the problems those Rotax engines have had. The 1.8L SVHO engine is bullet proof.

@jdkaeser Just to make sure, you're aware your boat CAN take lower octane right? Having the higher octane helps with performance but your engine can take as low as 87 octane in North America. It will work just fine, just won't necessarily give you full performance.
No, you'll need to run 91 in the SHO/SVHO and AFAIK the Rotax as well. All marine sources I see are 91 and you can't find any non-ethanol in sub-91 even on land around here anyway.

@Michal Yes, older models need a rebuild of the supercharger. Switchover happened around that time. I think it was 2018... so 2017 and previous would need them. There's a way to tell based on a specific nut on the supercharger.
The Yam SC clutch is a wear item though the newest iteration is designed to last. In the unlikely event that it goes out, it is a very simple replacement and there is very very little chance of any adverse effect on the engine itself. There is however NO scheduled rebuild of the SHO/SVHO clutch required. The Rotax uses a different clutch style that if it fails can wreck your engine, they definitely are NOT maintenance-free.

Last edited:

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I don't know why anyone would even consider a Scarab with all of the problems those Rotax engines have had. The 1.8L SVHO engine is bullet proof.
I've had 3 Rotax engines. No issues so far.

No, you'll need to run 91 in the SHO/SVHO and AFAIK the Rotax as well. All marine sources I see are 91 and you can't find any non-ethanol in sub-91 even on land around here anyway.
According to the 2017 BRP rotax manual. All engines can run on 87 Octane. 91 is for "optimum performance".

The Yam SC clutch is a wear item though the newest iteration is designed to last. In the unlikely event that it goes out, it is a very simple replacement and there is very very little chance of any adverse effect on the engine itself. There is however NO scheduled rebuild of the SHO/SVHO clutch required. The Rotax uses a different clutch style that if it fails can wreck your engine, they definitely are NOT maintenance-free.
To the best of my knowledge, there is NO scheduled rebuild of the newer Rotax SC.

Edit: 2017 only went up to 250 hp. 2018 introduced the 300 hp and it also can run 87 according to the manual.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Biased owner here. I have docked next to a Scarab 195 in the past and found the layout to be significantly smaller than the SX195 I have by just looking in from the dock. When I purchased mine, I was also looking for local service and part availability in the event something was to happen or needing replaced. I found locally, more times than not, dealers are "Yamaha" certified, but Scarab dealers are a bit harder to come by. Just my opinion, I think you will find either boat suitable for your needs.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@JC As stated by @Nexus , Rotax is specifically stated to support 87 octane in ALL engines. You are incorrect. See the manual screenshot.

1680638854636.png

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Imho, clean out ports are most important on a single engine jet boat. If you have twin engines at least you can get back to dock one one jet so not as important.

RodSibley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm really torn.

I've been looking at any video or article I can find to help guide me on this boat pruchase. I've definitely gotten it narrowed down to 2 boats. One is a 2017 Scarab 195 with the wake package and the other is a 2022 Yamaha 195S.

I love the graphics and look of the Scarab, butit seems like the Yamaha has more usable room onboard, and particularly better storage. Is this true? Anyone used both and can compare? I like the back patio of the Scarab better. Do the J seats make that big of a difference in seating on the Scarab? Do Scarab owners find they don't have enough room for things.

Are the lack of pullout plugs that big of a deal?

I want to be able to wake surf but I can always add ballast and a wake shaper later. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys could offer.
Dear Torn,
Big decision on buying a boat. Scarab makes a really nice boat, I like the layout and the looks of Scarab. It has the Rotax engine, I have owned several crafts with Rotax engines. Stay away from Rotax superchargers, Rotax engines with out the superchargers are good reliable engines. I believe the Scarab your looking at has no S.C. ?? If it does have a S.C. stay away. The Yamaha Boat, the engine in that boat has been the most reliable engine I have ever owned. The new Yamaha boats are Beautiful, lots of storage, lots of features, and yes, more room. As far as the clean out ports go, until you suck up a walmart bag on the water, and the boat wont move, you walk to the back, open the port, pull out the bag, close it, and you are on your way, then, you will appreciate the clean out port. Good Luck.

H20Thrust

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dear Torn,
Big decision on buying a boat. Scarab makes a really nice boat, I like the layout and the looks of Scarab. It has the Rotax engine, I have owned several crafts with Rotax engines. Stay away from Rotax superchargers, Rotax engines with out the superchargers are good reliable engines. I believe the Scarab your looking at has no S.C. ?? If it does have a S.C. stay away. The Yamaha Boat, the engine in that boat has been the most reliable engine I have ever owned. The new Yamaha boats are Beautiful, lots of storage, lots of features, and yes, more room. As far as the clean out ports go, until you suck up a walmart bag on the water, and the boat wont move, you walk to the back, open the port, pull out the bag, close it, and you are on your way, then, you will appreciate the clean out port. Good Luck.
Thank you! Lots of good info here.

I went and looked at the 2017 Scarab today. It was listed as “meticulously kept” but after driving 8 hours round trip, it looked like it had been dragged against a brick wall for all 6 years of its existence. So much dock rash. Engine hours are very low for this year, but it’s still concerning, the cosmetic damage.

For the same price, I can get a nearly pristine Yamaha. Such a tough decision.

I really like the Scarab, especially with the added Wake package because it allows me to do something the Yamahas can’t, at least not stock. But is that worth a boat that’s been neglected cosmetically?

Guess I need to keep shopping. Or just buy a clean Yamaha and make it what I want.