• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help me pick a GPS/plotter - 2017 AR210

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Top of the morning. We recently purchased a 2017 AR210 and fell in LOVE! This site is a wealth of knowledge btw and helped me seal my deal.

My wife surprised me on Friday with a Garmin 741xs and GT21-Tm transducer. To cut to the chase, I think that equipment is too much for how we plan on using our boat. I plan on returning it today to West Marine.

We bought the AR210 for water sports and leisure. We boat in the inter-coastal, the Great Bay, Tuckerton Bay, Mullica River and down to Atlantic City. Some fishing may be done, but on the rare occasion.

I would like a reliable GPS/plotter that ideally would fit into my dash space. I know there isn't much room to cut one in so it may have to mounted. Touch screen would be nice. I have an existing depth finder and water temp from the factory(Connext with Touchscreen), i'm wondering if that info can be also displayed on a new GPS? I wish I could relocate the Connext screen and mount a GPS there...

I'm looking for ideas/opinions from everyone. Thanks in advance!

(I attached a stock picture of what my dash looks like)

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should add that I've been using the Navionics app and I like their app. Is there a unit that utilizes Navionics?

edit* Since my Connext has depth and water temp, is there a wire that I can hook from the Connext to a new GPS unit that retrieves and displays that info?

Last edited:

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well after a much research and googling... I went with a Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro. I like that it runs Navionics. That was the biggest factor in my decision.

I'm prob going to run out of time this week to install it, but I hope to get it installed by mid next week.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jeff_s I have been waffling between the DF 5 Pro and the Simrad Go 5 XSE. I just need to pull the trigger and get something to be honest but I like you lean toward anything that uses the Navionics maps. Have them on my phone and tablet and like they way they work.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jeff_s I have been waffling between the DF 5 Pro and the Simrad Go 5 XSE. I just need to pull the trigger and get something to be honest but I like you lean toward anything that uses the Navionics maps. Have them on my phone and tablet and like they way they work.
A good friend of mine and experienced boater first told me about Navionics. I downloaded the app on my phone and have been using it so far. It's done me well so far.
I can't wait to see how it works on the dragonfly.

The size of the dragonfly seems to be ideal for my mounting location. I hope to have it installed to use it this weekend. I can report back to let you know!

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would appreciate that. I'm looking to make my purchase soon. Was supposed to have done it before this weekend and have it installed but I procrastinated so I will be going without it.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I got the plotter installed all while losing the war against the gnats (noseeums).

I removed the cigarette lighter and ran the wires thru there.
I just need a grommet to fill the hole. I may drill a hole behind the gps and route the wires that way. But I need to buy a grommet for there before I do that.

I was unable to export my routes from my Navionics app to the Dragonfly

Next time I'll make room in the garage and work like a human.

Attachments

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Haddens2004 I haven't had the boat off the trailer since i installed. I was hoping to get out for a few hours after work today, but might not happen. so far in the driveway, the interface is very much like the Navionics app.
Weather dependent, we plan on going out tomorrow. If we do, I can post on here my thoughts.

For now, I removed the cigarette lighter outlet and ran the wires thru there. Im not sure how i want to get the wires thru the dash yet. I also want to make sure I buy some sort sort of cable gland or grommet that i can run the cables thru.

Ive been searching on here to see what others have done to route the GPS wires thru the dash

Attachments

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Haddens2004
So far I like the unit. Unlike the Navionics app, the Dragonfly will not plot you a route.

That's the best part about the app. I select the area I'm going to go and hit "Boat to" and the app plots a line to follow.

What I did this weekend was use both the app and the GPS. Plot my course in the app and use the track feature on the gps.

I just need to find a good way to route the cables thru the dash.

I picked up this cable gland. Don't know if it will work the way I want it too. I want to minimize exposure from water getting behind my console.

Attachments