• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help me please

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got on vacation and one motor won't turn over. Cranked fine before we leafy the house 3 hrs earlier. When I turn the key the warning lights come on for a split sec and the tac moves a tiny bit, that's it. Please help Me

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Marvin willis
Check to make sure both throttles are in neutral.
Pull lanyard and reinstall.
If that does not work, let us know asap.

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check your clean out hatch, make sure it is latched. If it is have someone stand on the hatch and try starting the engines. The clean out hatch switches will prevent the engines from turning over.

If it is the clean out switches, a quick fix is to tape a quarter directly above each switch.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
A quarter may not fit, you can try a dime or two directly over the buttons if it is the hatch. Sounds like a short from the description however. Need more info on it.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think safety switches are good. I left the ignition on all day on the motor that doesn't fire. I would think battery but I tried jumping the battery and nothing

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So it doesn't crank? if not,
1) check the cleanout plug safety switch and have someone press on it while you try to start the engine
2) check the engine ground and clean up all connections to the battery
3) Is this a single battery boat?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If the right shuts down and restarts, not the battery, the same battery starts both engines. Unless it is weak to start the port. The port is actually the closest to the battery, so should be easier than the starboard.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And yes, double check connections as @4x15mph suggests too. Please expound on the "warning lights come on for a split sec and the tac moves a tiny bit, that's it", this sounds like a bad connection to me, probably at the switch since that is what your messing with when it seems to try and then fails.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Let's get this going, your on vacation!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
hmm. ok, describe more about what happened. Did the engine try to turn over, or you just got lights and tach and then nothing?

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doesn't turn over at all. Only blinks when u go from off to start it flashes. Nothing from on to start

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you read the thread that @ScarabMike put up, @SuperJetDan put up a compiled list of checks to troubleshoot and codes. Those are very helpful in understanding what is going on. But at the bottom of the thread, another member posts his issues and discovered he had corrosion in the kill switch lanyard, with shuts down the ignition to each engine independently. But it won't stop the starter, which the clean out switches will, along with the ignition. Stopping ignition however will probably kill the gauges too, so that could be a player, and it isn't a simple swap, although I would recommend it to see. You can remove the two screws on the throttle housing and pull that and then the 4 screws that hold the throttle quadrant on the mount. Then you can pull them and probably reach the 4 connections on the bottom of the lanyard switch. Swap them correctly, I don't have the schematic in front of me, or know the wiring, but you have two for each engine that will be identical. If you move one pair to the other and visa versa, you should see the problem either mysteriously fix itself or swap sides, if it is one of the switches. Many guys have found just a little more separation in the lanyard forks will move the switch. The lanyards do wear out!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And you can start/stop/start with good rotation, the starboard engine?