• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help please! 212X vs AR210

LakeTravisBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just sold our 2007 X45 and looking at the next one. Down to a 2016 212x and a 2017 AR210. Both same price 38-40k, like the built in ballast and bigger engines in the 212x, like the forward tower and articulating keel and touch screen on the AR210. Needs some help deciding which one to go with and any insite would be appreciated.

Does to 2016 212x have the articulating keel? If not will the Cobras or TV be enough to get me the performance of the 210AR articulating keel?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can you help us understand why you sold the X45? None of the Yamahas are in the same league for throwing a wake.

LakeTravisBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maintence issues mainly with 8.1 engine, wanting something newer and with a warranty still, it also sucked gas with that huge motor. We are recreational wakeboarders and bought the X45 mainly for the interior room, realized we spend most of our time either tubing or anchored in cove with the Lilly pad rolled out for the kids so thenYamaha rear swim deck seemed like a nice option. Went to boat show this year and liked the AR210 considering we wanted to be in the 40k price range. This will be my 5th boat had a 21ft wellcraft, 21VLX Malibu, 27ft crownline, X80 and the X45 so going jet will be new but I have been lurking on this site for awhile and everyone seems to like the Yamaha’s.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and good luck with your search. I don’t have any firsthand experience with either of the two year/model boats that you’re looking at. It seems that your previous boats were designed for water sports. Yamaha’s are an all around good boat, but not specifically designed for any single purpose. All I would suggest is that you test ride whatever you buy before purchase. That way you know what your getting.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@LakeTravisBear Test ride a yammie or two - for sure! Before you commit. They have a lot to offer, but are more like a "Swiss army knife" type of a boat. They are quite loud and rev up high. Definitely not for everyone, but hard to find a more universal boating platform.
Of the two - I would opt for the 212 with 1.8l engines. They also seem to hold their value the best (in the entire Yamaha jet boat lineup).

--

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Id go 212x. Way more power.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You may look around for a used or leftover '17 212X with the new deck layout and the 1.8 liter engines. Also, the '17+ models will run more quietly due to all the sound deadening materials.

We love ours, but I completely agree with the Swiss Army knife comment where it's a jack of all trades boat. For lake lounging at anchor, it doesn't get much better. I will say, however that the wake surfing advertisement is pretty much false advertising as it's very difficult to get a decent wake behind a stock boat. Other than that, it does everything else very well.

Last edited:

LakeTravisBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. We are looking for the versatility so it seems like we made a good choice. The 2017 212x are out of the budget and I like the bench seat in the 2016 better, guess we will look in that direction.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We were in the same boat deciding between the 212x and AR210... everyone I talked to said they would rather have the power and not need it then not have it an need it... my family does everything tubing, skiing, wakeboarding and surfing.. have not ever had an issue with the 212x weather it’s a full load of passengers or not.... I know I can’t compare it to the AR210 but the 212x has been a great boat for us. At first the bench seat turned us away and I even priced getting another chair the like 212ss and glad I didn’t it really opens up the cockpit good luck with your choice!