• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help! Port Engine won't start.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Starboard engine starts and runs well. Port engine turns over, but won't fire up. I have been experiencing cavitation in the port jet lately and a few weeks back, it misteriously stopped after a 15 mile run. Got to the lake yesterday and the port engine wouldn't fire up. Need to check fuses today and make sure it is getting fuel. What else should I be doing?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is easy to compare height safety switches under the cleanout cover. If the port is lower, place a folded paper towel or something on top of it to see if that helps close the circuit. Then try starting it.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is easy to compare height safety switches under the cleanout cover. If the port is lower, place a folded paper towel or something on top of it to see if that helps close the circuit. Then try starting it.
The engine cranks. If the safety isn't depressed enough, it won't even crank.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for misguidance. Starting fluid?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It started up on the first try on Sunday. I have no idea what is going on. I did find that mud wasps were building a nest in one of the pissers, but that has happened before and never causes a starting issue.

Update...It worked for a while and then gave me a hiccup. We were headed out to our normal float spot after a short break at the dock when for no reason the port engine stopped. I could get it to crank, but not fire up. We were in sight of the dock, so I tried to limp home on one engine. After about two minutes, I tried the port engine and it fired right up. WTF???? Is it a loose wire somewhere?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Cranking but not firing is typical symptom of the lanyard switch with a bad contact. Exercise the switch to its limits several times to see if that helps.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to revive this thread, but it happened again. I fueled the boat this morning and started the boat, both engines running and as I was starting to come on plane, the port engine died. It started and then immediately died again twice and never started again. I was close enough to my boat lift to limp back on one engine at less than 3000 rpms. I played with the emergency kill switch and it still won't start. It is also 95+ degrees today like it was the last time it happened. What should I be looking for or try to get it running?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's cranking fine, just not firing?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think the easiest thing is going to be check for spark, if you spark then its fuel

Do you have a yds?

I wonder if you debris in the tank stuck on your fuel pick up filter/screen

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It cranks fine and I have spark. I let it sit for 2 hours and it started and ran fine. I am starting to think it is fuel issues too, but no problems with the Starboard engine at all.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats why i think there might be debris blocking the pickup
If you had a yds you could disconnect at fuel rail and pump some out,

Have you ever pulled the floor up before?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No YDS. Never pulled up the floor. I added a bottle of Seafoam to the tank when I put 15 gallons in. Could that be the problem? Maybe it did not mix well and the port motor sucked too much of that?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No,
I think either you have water or some physical debris blocking the pick up,

How did you confirm you have spark?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am starting to think that it has something to do with the heat.

I confirmed the spark by pulling the first spark plug and cranking.

I put 5 gallons in this morning and it ran like a top for nearly an hour. We took a break from noon until 2 PM. We then went about 20 minutes west on the lake to get to cooler water. We floated for 20 minutes until we couldn't stand the heat. Fired up both engines and tried to get on plane. At 6000 rpms the port engine died. I was able to restart, but every time I tried to go above idle speed, the port engine died. After five minutes of this it died for good and I limped home on one engine again. I will try to start it later today when it cools off.

This is getting frustrating.

Looper7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It really sounds like a fuel pickup problem like @scottiwas talking about

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you getting check engine lights when it fails? I agree with @Scottintexas too that Seafoam only helps and you may be fighting debris in that pickup. I typically pull my floor at the end of each season to inspect the tank, probes and fuel lines. It is a pain the first time; but I consider it a necessary routine inspection to avoid such problems. It could possibly be an intermittent electrical issue too. Have you disconnected, cleaned, checked and reconnected the electrical connectors to the coils, injectors and ECM? Also security of the power cables?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would the heat be effecting the fuel pick up? If is a fuel problem, why just the port engine? Could it be something that is stuck in the port fuel line that is under the floor? The last time this happened, I did a complete electrical inspection of the port engine and it was fine. Why is it happening when it is hot?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, one thing temp-related with fuel is vapor lock. That would only be if you had a kinked fuel line or perhaps a blockage as we have mentioned and it isn’t common. Temp may be related; but not sure you have enough events to make it a proven factor yet.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, no check engine lights. Two hours on the lift and after it cooled It started right up and ran fine.

Last edited:

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gents, Thanks for all the help over the weekend. Now that I am back in civilization with a good internet connection, I have been doing research and it certainly is starting to look like vapor lock is the problem. Two questions, will YDS be able to help me confirm that diagnosis and if it is confirmed, how would you remedy the vapor lock?