• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help seaweed issues

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I need some advice.just bought boat third time out.got seaweed all stuck up about a mile away had to crawl home.I tried. The reverse trick and put it in neutral and turned off motor and put it in forward.the grass gets stuck in the grate .it pulls right out when they lift the boat out.that don't help when you are out in the gulf.any advice.I am just about to give up on this jetboat.it is ashame.the boat is beautiful.got steering going pretty good.bought the fins.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am assuming that your boat does not have clean out ports?

Can you reach under with the engines off and pull them out?

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I don't know if it has a clean out.I don't know anything yet just starting out.I think I bought the wrong kind of boat.I will tri a couple more Times.I have real bad arthritis.I can't move like I used to.thank you for your reply

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you avoid the seaweed area?

Yamahas have clean out plugs that you can remove then reach down and clean out the jets. They only require the ability to kneel and reach down a foot or so lower.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No matter what boat/motor type you have the potential for weed issues always exists. During the first group Bimini crossing (2011) we ran across a big patch of seaweed and the only boat to have issues was a center console with an outboard. The seaweed wrapped around his water intake and started to overheat his engine. He had to stop raise the motor remove the seaweed and he was off again luckily with no damage. The 8 out or so Yamaha jet boats made it through the seaweed without trouble. Sometimes it better to be luck than good.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Yamahas have clean out plugs that you can remove then reach down and clean out the jets. They only require the ability to kneel and reach down a foot or so lower.
Bruce, I read something the other day that made me shake my head. Want to shake yours too?

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?SubID=2714&ID=3223

It's a lovely boat if you ask me. Expensive too, but it still doesn't have clean-outs. That belongs to Yamaha. HOWEVER, if you read the article - under the heading "The Rotax Difference" there is a part in there...

"Does the impeller get fouled? Sure, same as the competition, but no builder in its right mind would allow access to the impeller. That gets cleared with a boost of power to send any weeds on their way. A grate over the intakes prevents larger objects from entering the flow to the thrust ducts. If those get clogged, typically all it takes is shutting down and letting gravity do its thing."

So, now we all know that the Yamaha engineers are outta their minds!! :eek:

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Thanks for your reply Bruce I have a sugar sand I have not looked for a clean out but I will Monday.I am going to try again.I am bringing a mini rake.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wonder if the BRP motors use the plastic wear rings like SeaDoo does? My sons ski has been through 4 rings in 4 months of use. Sure the idea is great to have a sacrificial part outside of the impeller but those of us who have hit small wood debris and had them lodges we can get them out and keep motoring on, those same scraps on my sons ski render it almost inoperable from the gouge they create, the lost thrust etc. and each time we have had to disassemble the pump to free them and get a new ring. On my Yamaha, it was pull the plug, wiggle them out, reinstall the plug and party on...

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Bruce, I read something the other day that made me shake my head. Want to shake yours too?

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?SubID=2714&ID=3223

It's a lovely boat if you ask me. Expensive too, but it still doesn't have clean-outs. That belongs to Yamaha. HOWEVER, if you read the article - under the heading "The Rotax Difference" there is a part in there...

"Does the impeller get fouled? Sure, same as the competition, but no builder in its right mind would allow access to the impeller. That gets cleared with a boost of power to send any weeds on their way. A grate over the intakes prevents larger objects from entering the flow to the thrust ducts. If those get clogged, typically all it takes is shutting down and letting gravity do its thing."

So, now we all know that the Yamaha engineers are outta their minds!! :eek:
Thank you for your input I will try again thanks.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Welcome to Florida the sea grass state.
The best time to remove the weeds is when you start to feel vibration, if you get them out before they get packed in heavy the reverse trick usually works. Remember you have to turn off the engine while going in reverse and then put the controls into forward quickly so the water can wash through backward and push the weeds out the intake.
I build top load intake grates for my skies this helps snag the weeds before they lodge in the pump. REMEMBER THE WEEDS CAN OVERHEAT YOUR RNGINE!!! Overheating a 2 stroke is really bad so don't run with heavy weeds in the pump . I keep looking for them and drive around them as much as possible , passengers know when I yell WEEDS they better be holding on because we are making some quick course adjustments.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
HOLY CRAP GLASSMAN, DADADADADADADADA MORON! I can't believe they actually said that crap!

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
HOLY CRAP GLASSMAN, DADADADADADADADA MORON! I can't believe they actually said that crap!
Welcome to Florida the sea grass state.
The best time to remove the weeds is when you start to feel vibration, if you get them out before they get packed in heavy the reverse trick usually works. Remember you have to turn off the engine while going in reverse and then put the controls into forward quickly so the water can wash through backward and push the weeds out the intake.
I build top load intake grates for my skies this helps snag the weeds before they lodge in the pump. REMEMBER THE WEEDS CAN OVERHEAT YOUR RNGINE!!! Overheating a 2 stroke is really bad so don't run with heavy weeds in the pump . I keep looking for them and drive around them as much as possible , passengers know when I yell WEEDS they better be holding on because we are making some quick course adjustments.
Thanks Jeff this is Gary the guy from spring hill you did my fins.it steers better I have to get use to it.now I have seaweed problems.thanks for reply