• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

@help starboard engine not reaching max rpms

jcsmith77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HELP maiden voyage today and the starboard engine won't get over 6500 rpm while the port gets over 8000. Anyone?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
when was the last time you were able to get full rpm's ?
any unusual sounds or vibrations that could be cavitation?

I would start with plugs, it usually solves about 90% of peoples problems.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Plugs if not changed. Is plug clean out in properly?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check to be sure all connections complete / each plug. This happened to me on first launch this year.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
when you said maiden voyage I was thinking first one this year, is this the first time ever out in your new boat?

if so, did you take it for a test ride before buying?

jcsmith77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time this year, it ran fine last fall. I fogged and blew out but didn't do a plug change. I checked and reseated the clean out plug and checked for debris. No change.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Change plugs....most likely the problem. Change just in engine with issue aND see...but go ahead and change plugs in both. Fogging causes more issues imo ....I have never fogged.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm betting on fouled plugs.

jcsmith77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are the plugs for these readily available or a special order type item?

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Dealers have them, amazon has them, Adance auto can get then next day if they don't have them in store. I order mine amazon 2 days.

jcsmith77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know offhand the part number or link on amazon. Hard to research from my phone. Much appreciated.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know offhand the part number or link on amazon. Hard to research from my phone. Much appreciated.
NGK CR9EB (6955) available at O'Reilys and most auto parts stores.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't forget to use anti-seize on the threads and do not over tighten. Over tightening can snap it off in the head. I can't remember the exact torque specs, buts it's in the "inch pounds" not "foot pounds". It's common practice to just spin the plug by hand until the gasket touches, then tighten 1/4 turn.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They got you covered on the spark plugs. And low RPM is a spark, fuel, or air related issue, inside the engine, so spark plugs are the cheapest and quickest way to start that. Low RPM can also be a saturated air filter, but generally you will be rough running or won't even start easily. Cavitation or any introduction of air into the pump won't decrease RPM, unless the pump is jammed, and that will have other symptoms with it, like noise and bad vibration. Also, not only will cavitation not decrease RPM, but the engine will rev to high RPM unrestricted, without load on the engine...just like it will when your running on the hose or not on the hose out of the water. If the impeller has air in it, then it isn't pulling water in and pushing water out...and the pump is turning without "load". So the RPM will race upward with the slightest throttle increase, all the way to top RPM if you push the throttle that far. So when you see reduced RPM, it is generally a fuel burn related issue, where the engine isn't producing horsepower to get it that high. And that means one of the three things required for combustion is reduced. And as history shows, spark plugs are the most common culprit on these engines. That said, the 1.8L is much less sensitive to our historic spark plug issues we had on the MR-1 engine, both from a fouling standpoint, and from a seizing standpoint. But I would recommend fogging any one of these engines routinely, according to Yamaha tech bulletins, as well as using anti-seize on the threads of the spark plugs. I would also not use a torque wrench on the spark plugs for the average home mechanic. Because anti-seize changes torque, torque wrenches are not calibrated correctly, not being familiar with them, and there isn't a need. The best way to tighten (and know you can remove) spark plugs on any of these engines, is to tighten to the gasket without wrench, just turning the plug with the socket and extension by hand as far as you can, then only 1/4 turn more. That will be less than the torque wrench recommendation, but more than is needed to seat the plug securely.

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will be getting 4 more to bring back with me for the other engine next weekend.
It's not a bad idea to keep a spare set onboard too for the ..... Dare I say it ...... Next time. It's pretty common for the plugs to "foul/go bad" on our vintage of yamahas.

Ps. Glad you got it fixed ;)