• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help water filled up in Engine bay

Jswav

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Hey, I’m new to boating...I took my Seadoo jet boat out for the first time. When I was on the lake driving the boat started running bad, stalled out, I opened the Engine bay and it was 3/4 filled with water I turn the pump on and luckily all the water drained out. After that I tried starting it a few times and it finally started but was miss firing .Drain plugs were in tight please help I don’t know why so much water got in or how?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably from a lose/missing clamp in exhaust cooling (raw water?)
You may have ingested some water, would need to act fast if the case. Sorry I don't know enough about BRP engines. Hopefully some of the experts here @veedubtek @ScarabMike @JetTech72 might help.

--

Jswav

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Thanks that’s might be it, I came home and hooked the hose up to her and made the boat run for about ten mins....she’s running good. So I will look into that. Thanks again
James

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Your profile lists it as a 1996 speedster, is this correct? If it filled while running I'd say check the exhaust hoses, and the belows on the driveshafts. This include the supply line from the jet pump. Running on the hose there may not be enough water to easily identify the issue. Did you notice if water was coming out the "pee" hole before the compartment filled?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The exhaust weld holes are also a potential water every point on the rotax 2 cycle engines.

You need to run it in the water for a little while to figure out where the water is coming from. Because the pump was able to clear the water, it's likely something small. If it had been a big hole the oem pump would not have kept up.

A bilge alarm and float is cheap insurance that can save you from this in the future. If the first sign of trouble is the water shutting off the motor... It's late in the game at that point. If you find out earlier that there is a problem you have a better chance of finding it early and overcoming it with the least possible damage and pain.

Also, if you can today, run the motor more on the water to clear all the water that may be inside it. Run it like you stole, is the water clearing instruction, once the water entry point is fixed. the sooner its done, the less likely that rust will form inside the engine.

Best of luck.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The SeaDoo's used to have bilge pumps with float switches built in, and a dash switch for manual on. You may want to check the pump and add a float switch if needed. I check mine yearly to ensure the "auto" works.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree pump on is super important, but not enough for when sh¡t hits the fan.

If the problem is bigger than the pump can handle, you are back to the same... Unaware until much later, having lost valuable time. An alarm or indicator light triggered by a float is what will buy you real time to figure out what's going on.

Engine shut down is a crappy crappy way to find out you have a leak on the boat :(