• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help with 2018 210 stereo upgrade

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stock radio is an infinity PRV350 and the speakers are <garbage>. I want to keep the head unit, add an amp, and upgrade the speakers all for ~$500. I also want to be able to add a subwoofer later so I want a setup that would support that.

I have a 2018 AR210 and the battery is under the port, rear seat. It looks like there might be a piece of wood under the dash console intended for attaching an amp?? See picture.

Questions:101791

- Would this be a decent amp option: Amazon.com: Kenwood KAC-M3004 Compact 4 Channel Digital Amplifier: Electronics
- For speakers, should I look at the Polk MM versus the DB's. Here are the MM's: Amazon.com: 4 x Polk Audio MM 6.5 inch 2-Way Car Marine Audio Boat Motorcycle Coaxial Speakers 6-1/2": Electronics

Also:
1) Does anyone have a recommendation on this year boat on the best location of the amp considering the wiring
2) Where do I route the wires on this boat? I read about routing across the fuel tank and does this involve taking off the floor/cover?
3) Will I have to cut wires and harnesses to set this up or are there some standard harness that plugs into my current head unit or speaker harnesses.
4) Any recommendations on speakers and amps that fit the bill?

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went ahead and ordered Polk mm652's and MB Quartz MA1-440 amplifier (4 channel, 440watts) amplifier. I called Crutchfield and they put everything in a shopping cart including wiring kit, splitters, and rca jacks so all I had to do was hit "buy". Now I just need to install

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Order arrived the next day from Crutchfield. Every time I buy from them I say, how could I ever go anywhere else.

I didn't receive the speakers from Amazon yet but had to install the amp to see the difference. It was a couple of hours and worked out great. The system now sounds excellent; Night and day and I don't even have the polks in yet.

Some notes on the 18 AR/SX210 for any other installers
- 6.5 speakers for OEM
- Infinity PRV350 head unit with 2 pre-amp outputs (front/rear) -
- Stock head unit also has a subwoofer output
- 17 to 18 feet of wire to reach from the helm console back to the engine compartment and then over to the battery connections

So I could have gone with a 5 channel but I will use the 4 channel and add a single/mono channel when I put in a sub.

killercalf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am planning to upgrade my speakers and add amp after this summer. Did you install secondary AMP?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am planning to upgrade my speakers and add amp after this summer. Did you install secondary AMP?
I installed a single, 4 channel amp to drive the 4 speakers. If/when I add a sub, I will add a secondary amp and it will be a single channel.

killercalf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed a single, 4 channel amp to drive the 4 speakers. If/when I add a sub, I will add a secondary amp and it will be a single channel.
Sorry, I meant to say secondary battery and not amp.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, I meant to say secondary battery and not amp.
I haven't installed a second battery but we really will not use the stereo much when we are stopped. We use a waterproof bluetooth speaker on the back of the boat. I will probably add a second battery for backup next season which will be our first full season. I already know it will be a bluetop Optima battery. I had one in my LS2000 and it was 6 years old without ever an issue.

Trivers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad it turned out well. I have a 2019 AR210 and plan on upgrading the speakers, adding an amp and adding tower speakers as well. When you wired the amp did you go directly to the battery with power and ground? Pics of where you mounted the amp would be great. Thanks.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did wire power and ground directly to the amp with 8 gauge wire. I installed the amp in the console behind the dash. You will see a wooden block there that is “made” for an amp. If I do towers and a sub I will get a second amp and connect that to this first amp using a new fuse block.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I did wire power and ground directly to the amp with 8 gauge wire. I installed the amp in the console behind the dash. You will see a wooden block there that is “made” for an amp. If I do towers and a sub I will get a second amp and connect that to this first amp using a new fuse block.
How long is your wire run? 8 gauge seems a little small... a 440 watt amp will be drawing over 500 watts.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long is your wire run? 8 gauge seems a little small... a 440 watt amp will be drawing over 500 watts.
17 feet. Do I need to call back crutchfield? This was part of a kit that they recommended

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s actually 75 watts per channel at 4 ohms. That probably makes the difference. Thank you @the MfM

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It’s actually 75 watts per channel at 4 ohms. That probably makes the difference. Thank you @the MfM
It’s 17’ round trip or one way?

(Not trying to give you a hard time... just making sure the rep realized it’s a boat and you can’t ground to the chassis)

Trivers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With car stereo setups there is usually a remote wire that connects to the amp that goes back to the ignition switch. Is there such a thing on the marine amp? If not won't the amp be powered on at all times?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
With car stereo setups there is usually a remote wire that connects to the amp that goes back to the ignition switch. Is there such a thing on the marine amp? If not won't the amp be powered on at all times?
Most marine amps have a remote wire. But some also have auto sensing that turns the amp on when it receives a source signal.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Trivers, the OEM head unit has a remote wire (blue) that you cut and wire to the amp remote wire. This controls turning it on automatically when the head unit is turned on.

@the MfM , this is 17' total length from the amp to the battery. Per the chart on Crutchfield the recommended wire is 8 gauge. They did know this was a marine amp and that is why they suggested that I don't wire ground to anything other than the battery since a good ground is difficult on a fiberglass boat. I think I am good, right? I will watch the heat and the amp has a 50 amp (2 x25) fuse inline to the battery

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@the MfM , this is 17' total length from the amp to the battery. Per the chart on Crutchfield the recommended wire is 8 gauge. They did know this was a marine amp and that is why they suggested that I don't wire ground to anything other than the battery since a good ground is difficult on a fiberglass boat. I think I am good, right? I will watch the heat and the amp has a 50 amp (2 x25) fuse inline to the battery
I'm not an expert by any means but for a single small amp (75W x4 (RMS) at 4ohms) 8 gauge should be plenty if good quality OFC. With some CCA car kits it could be problematic, but I'm sure Crutchfield knows better! I wouldn't worry, assuming these are quality wires.
I don;t know what Yamaha uses for their factory amp installs but I'm sure they go cheap-er than what you have now as far as the wiring!

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Needless to say you want the main fuse for the amp power wire to be very close to the battery, if doing a long run.

--

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just an update that the stereo upgrade checked out well. First day with the new sounds on the water yesterday and you can hear the music underway. The sound, including bass with out a subwoofer, is just what I was hoping for.