• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help with a few repairs; depth, speed, fiberglass damage...

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've done a bit of searching but wasn't able to conclusively answer my questions so posting up in hopes that you all have some quick answers. I have a number of items needing attention after our last outing or two.

We had a rubber covering on the lift bunk come loose last time we were out and got sucked into the port intake. We were fortunate enough to be able to remove without further issue, but my depth finder and speedometer have been giving me trouble since. I suspect they were knocked out of position by the heavy rubber piece. Here is how they looked when I pulled it out of the water.

1. Speedometer Not Working
    After searching, it appears that my speed sensor may have gotten jammed in an up position which is not allowing it to get an accurate reading. I'm hoping I can re-position so that the pickup is facing down as I believe it should be. It otherwise does not appear to be damaged. Anyone disagree? Any reason I should try to buy a replacement part just in case?

2. Depth Finder Not Working at Speed
    This seemed to get knocked out of alignment, but I moved it back into position and tightened the screws. Hoping this solves the problem. I apparently didn't take a picture of it once I re-positioned. Anything else I need to look out for?

3. Bilge Hose Break
    I had to replace the bilge pump either last season or the season before. The bilge line had cracked when removing the old pump. I made it work with what we had but it was stretched pretty tight. I since forgot about it, but when we pulled the boat out of the water after this weekend, I heard it running but no water coming overboard. Inspection found that the line had cracked again where it was flexed against some other lines. I plan to order this line and just merge with the existing line that runs to the through hull fitting. Hoping that the male end sections of this can be cut and fit into the existing line. Has anyone done this? Any error in my thinking?
    3/4" Bilge Hose

4. Fiberglass Repair
    We had a pretty scary situation on Friday evening with a lift failure at the house we were renting. Luckily all kids were out of the boat and had carried stuff up to the house and it was just my wife and I finishing up cleaning things up and stowing any loose ends before fully raising the lift. As we flipped the pumps on to fully raise the lift, one of the pivot arms failed and the boat tipped forward into the dock. Luckily, I had it tied off and the dock line kept the bow mostly out of the dock. We could not get the pontoons to release any air in the position they were in, so had several people stand on the back. It very suddenly then tipped from a forward angle, to a stern-down angle, again only being held on by a dock line I had on the bow just in case the lift were to fail with us not around. I got in the boat and we had to cut the dock line. The boat stayed in the water the rest of the weekend after feeling underneath to make sure there were no holes in the hull. I'm including pictures of the damage below, but looking to see if anyone in the St. Louis, MO area has any experience with local shops that could give a quote on good quality repair. My best guess is that when the boat slid forward, the force was enough against the poly bunks that it chipped the chines off in these spots.

5. Thanks in advance for the help!

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright you’ve got a lot going on here.. Reposition the speed sensor and see if it works, if it doesn’t you can buy new but not really a major issue.. Depth finder not working at speed is odd but at least it’s working somewhat, coming from a guy like me that doesn’t have a working depth finder.. You could probably fix that gel coat yourself, especially the stuff that’s below the water line and it’s white, there are plenty of threads on here about repairing gel coat, just make sure if you do it get on spectrum to get the right color! I wouldn’t even worry about the blemishes on the bow but if you have the means for someone else to fix it you might as well! I’d almost get a new bilge pump hose to go the whole length but who knows your fix would probably work

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd agree with your assessment of the speed sensor (pitot) and transducer. Reposition them, and see if they work. The gelcoat repairs take time, effort, patience, and a well versed vocabulary of four letter words. I repaired a lot of little nicks and scratches that were put there by the PO, and man, it's a legitimate chore. People who do it for a living have my respect. Regarding the bilge pump, I'd strongly recommend replacing the whole hose. It's cheap, the main difficulty will be reaching the through hull fitting to attach it.

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great, thanks for the input. I've adjusted the transducer and will attempt to adjust the speed sensor back to the down position when we are back at the boat. The bilge hose I got is long enough to replace so I will take a look at running it all the way to the fitting.

I'm still going to attempt to get some professional bids on the gel coat repair. I'm not sure I want to attempt a first time DIY with it not being on a flat surface. Think it's okay to be in the water for our last boating weekend of the season as is?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well…. Since some of them are down to fiberglass, you technically shouldn’t put it in the water. They’re not egregiously deep, and I’m not an expert on this, but my gut feeling is that I’d dab a little bit of 5200 into the gouges that reach fiberglass just to prevent it from getting waterlogged. Maybe someone with better knowledge on gelcoat and fiberglass will chime in with either confirmation or a better educated suggestion.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would use a marine epoxy, JB Water Weld from Walmart will work, to cover the exposed fiberglass up to the level of the original gelcoat. Marine epoxy is easy to use. It comes in a tube. Cut off a piece, smash it until it is mixed together then work it into the gouges. It will have the consistency of playdough but sticky. It will dry white.

Then if you want it to look better either grind it out and replace with gelcoat over the winter or have someone do that for you.

As for the depth gauge and pitot speed indicator both are junk anyway. I suggest removing the pitot and tube then installing a GPS Speedometer. Faria makes an all in one GPS speed that sells for around $120. Then consider if you want to install a chart plotter to replace that depth gauge that rarely works correctly.

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the input! I'll take a look at some of those options and see about getting the spots covered at least temporarily until a more aesthetically pleasing and complete repair can be made during the off-season.

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Gel coat is an easy repair if the boat is on dry land. Spectrum makes great gel Cote repair kits/colors that are easy to use.

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just to update folks that have contributed here... I spoke with the gentleman that handles fiberglass repair St. Charles Boat and Motor. He indicated that I would probably be okay to use the boat for our last weekend of the season, but any more than that could be a problem. We'll plan to use it over Labor Day Weekend and then I'll drop it there for an estimate on our way back into town since I'll already be towing it back for winter storage.

EverettGuzman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey there! Sorry to hear about the troubles with your depth finder and speedometer. It's possible they got knocked out of position by that loose rubber piece. While I don't have a quick answer, I recommend checking out scrooz.com.au. They have many resources and tools that might help you fix those issues. Best of luck getting your instruments back in working order. Smooth sailing ahead! ⛵🌊

Last edited: