• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help with codes

BrentP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Last year (November-ish) I had a starting issue after the battery went dead. I finally found the relay switch information on this forum (thank you very much!!!) and bought some and now the boat starts perfectly. I put in both relays a couple of months ago (February-ish) and the boat started perfectly but it was only in the yard and I hadn't put it in the water yet. I went out of state for work and just got back and wanted to put the boat in the water. We went out this morning and when we put the boat in, it went into limp mode and popped several codes and overheated. Through some work on here and on the interwebs, we figured out that one of the relays might be in upside down (only one of them can go in upside down). I flipped the relay and sure enough the overheating and several codes went away but I am still getting the below codes. I have checked numerous sensors and all of the fuses and cannot find anything wrong. I have tried resetting the codes (couldn't get the mode + set to work) and have unplugged the battery for about twenty to thirty minutes. I just bought the boat last August with about 45 hours on it (older couple who bought it to use with their grandkids but didn't use it much and it was always kept in dry storage at a marina) and I have not had any problems with it other than the relay...until now. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start? I have the 2014 Scarab 195 HO Impulse with about 55 hours on it. I will keep looking on here and other locations but am getting frustrated. LOL. I am pretty sure it must be something electrical but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for any and all input!!!

P0300, misfire on random cylinders
P0301, misfire on cylinder 1
P0303, misfire on cylinder 3
P0523, oil pressure sensor fault

gRobi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
The faultcodes will stay even if the error isn't present anymore until they will be deleted I guess.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The codes will stay until the dealer or if you have the software (CanDoo Pro) or similar to clear them. I had similar codes and I changed spark plug and make sure they are tightened to spec. Problem solved. I did not have oil pressure code, but I would check connector and add some dielectric grease to it.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Last year (November-ish) I had a starting issue after the battery went dead. I finally found the relay switch information on this forum (thank you very much!!!) and bought some and now the boat starts perfectly. I put in both relays a couple of months ago (February-ish) and the boat started perfectly but it was only in the yard and I hadn't put it in the water yet. I went out of state for work and just got back and wanted to put the boat in the water. We went out this morning and when we put the boat in, it went into limp mode and popped several codes and overheated. Through some work on here and on the interwebs, we figured out that one of the relays might be in upside down (only one of them can go in upside down). I flipped the relay and sure enough the overheating and several codes went away but I am still getting the below codes. I have checked numerous sensors and all of the fuses and cannot find anything wrong. I have tried resetting the codes (couldn't get the mode + set to work) and have unplugged the battery for about twenty to thirty minutes. I just bought the boat last August with about 45 hours on it (older couple who bought it to use with their grandkids but didn't use it much and it was always kept in dry storage at a marina) and I have not had any problems with it other than the relay...until now. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start? I have the 2014 Scarab 195 HO Impulse with about 55 hours on it. I will keep looking on here and other locations but am getting frustrated. LOL. I am pretty sure it must be something electrical but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for any and all input!!!

P0300, misfire on random cylinders
P0301, misfire on cylinder 1
P0303, misfire on cylinder 3
P0523, oil pressure sensor fault
I have the same code still. Like you said, all started with the batteries. I have cleared them several times but one still keeps coming back. Kind of a bummer but, the boat runs great so I've learned to ignore it. So important with these engines/boats to maintain batteries to full levels. Please keep us posted on your progress.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ignoring check engine light or codes is normally not a good thing. Could and possibly will cause worst problems down the road. If codes keep coming back, there is a problem.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Candoo pro, read and clear. If they pop up again, you may have a loose/faulty coil pack.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Candoo pro, read and clear. If they pop up again, you may have a loose/faulty coil pack.
Thanks @ScarabMike! I'll swap the 3 with the other engine and see if anything changes. Below is the code I'm getting. Would a coil pack trip this code?

BrentP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Soooo, here's the update. I took it to the local dealer and they said there was water in the oil. They replaced the O2 sensors and flushed the oil but the catalytic converter is bad and allowing water to back up into the engine (not sure how that can happen). The dealer found a recall or service code on it and contacted Scarab in hopes of getting them to pay for it or hopefully have a cheaper solution than replacing the $3,000 cat. Scarab says the cat problem is from the motor overheating and not related to the recall. So I now have to pay almost $4,500 dollars for the cat replacement and annual service. All of this apparently because I let the battery wear down too far, which caused the relays to go bad and I replaced one upside down, which caused the overheating, which caused the catalytic converter to go bad. Holy Crap!!! Not sure anyone has any other advice for me but my advice to every Scarab owner with only one batter on their boat add a second battery!! I don't know of any other boat, or vehicle, that has such a problem from a simple battery issue and, if it so important for a relay to be put in only one way, why allow it to be put in any other way. When looking at the fuse panel by the battery, the top left relay can only go in one way but the relay more in the center can go in either way. Make sure when you put it in that the writing is upside down.

BrentP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
From another post (https://jetboaters.net/threads/another-disappointment-with-the-scarab-jet-boat-and-rec-boat-holdings.10550/page-8) it appears my O2 sensors should be under warranty and the corrosion on the original cat should be a concern. The dealer (who has been a Scarab dealer/service shop for only about a year) said the Scarab recall on the cats is only to retorque the bolts and there isn't anything about any corrosion. Scarab also apparently said the recall would not allow "that much water" into the engine so replacing the cat is my responsibility. The dealer didn't say how much water was in the oil, only that there was oil in the water. I am going to MarineMax in Pensacola tomorrow (Monday) to talk with them as I see on these posts that they have had some dealings with these cats. Anyone have any additional info on the possible recall that I can share with them? Thanks again for the help guys!!!