• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help with hydrolocked 2019 AR190

DeezKnots

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey folks,

I pulled the boat out of storage yesterday and went about de-winterizing it with an oil change and new plugs. When I put it away last winter I added Stabil to the half a tank of gas that was in it, put the battery on a battery tender, but I didn't fog the motor or anything (dumb new owner).

Anyway, went to start it to warm up the motor, and after a bit of chugging is started up. Running a little rough for a few seconds so I goosed the throttle a little bit and it abruptly stopped with a loud metallic ping. That's when I started craping bricks... the starter couldn't even turn the motor after that (even with a jump on the battery).

So, assuming there might have been some water condensation in the gas tank that got into the fuel line I pulled all four plugs, and there was water on the 3 and 4 plugs. Even with the plugs off and the injectors disconnected the starter just made a high pitch whining sound (I was trying the "let the starter motor blow it out" method). With the motor not cranking I used my (clean) oil extractor pump and just pumped out each cylinder. Tons of water/gas dilution came out of three and four, and a little came out of one and two.

So:
1. How screwed do you think I am?
2. It could be that the motor will turn now, but I might need to check the fuses for the starter / replace the starter.
3. What else should I be doing to figure this out?
4. How much does a brand new engine cost?

Thanks!

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That does not sound good at all. Where do you live, it almost sounds like freeze damage of some sort.
There should never be a bunch of gas/water in the cylinders, each time an injector fires it will only pump a slight mist so that leads me to believe you have water entering through another means, like a crack in the head or engine block somewhere from potential freeze damage

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How far North do you live? Was water left in the cooling system to freeze?

Most do not put antifreeze as the yamaha engines nearly fully drain. I'm one of those guys, and I live in the coldest of winters here in MN.

But in your particular case, it sounds like it may not have been dry fired the last time it was put away, and cooling water around the engine may have frozen and expanded. It's one of the few ways water could have gotten into the engine. Condensation may not be that quantity.

I'm totally spitballing, but a scope down a cylinder may tell the tale.

Good luck,

DeezKnots

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live near Seattle, which is pretty temperate, but it does freeze. When I put away I did run it for a bit with the hose connected in the driveway.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Flushing it out with the hose is a good idea but if you didn't shut the water off and let the water blow out (running dry) for a few seconds water may have remained in the engine, froze, and broke a water passage allowing water to enter the cylinders.
Just from the sounds of it you are in for a very expensive repair :(

DeezKnots

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is how much water/fuel I pumped out of the cylinders. I ordered a bore scope on Amazon to see if I can see a crack in the head or block.

Attachments

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Pretty obvious, but when you flush you start the engine first, then water on. When done, water off then engine off. Assuming you knew this, but that’s a lot of water and no way it came through the fuel injectors. (With engine running)

DeezKnots

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty obvious, but when you flush you start the engine first, then water on. When done, water off then engine off. Assuming you knew this, but that’s a lot of water and no way it came through the fuel injectors. (With engine running)
I remember running it to blow out the water, but maybe I didn’t do it enough. I’m a very sad dude right now.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
On startup though, you start the engine first, then turn on water once it’s running correct? If you start the hose before starting the engine you WILL hydro lock your engine

DeezKnots

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On startup though, you start the engine first, then turn on water once it’s running correct? If you start the hose before starting the engine you WILL hydro lock your engine
I definitely did that wrong. How does water get into the cylinder in that case, though? Shouldn’t the coolant channels be sealed off?

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Through the exhaust, where cooling water is mixed with exhaust gasses, but it can flow back through the manifold when there is no pressure to force the water out the exhaust.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah, doesn’t sound good man. Usually hydrolock means bent connecting rods, broken ring lands, any number of things. None of them is fixed without complete rebuild/replacement. Your delivery should have included those explicit flushing instructions, if they didn’t it was a major oversight.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might consider a jet ski shop to fix it, they might help you better than a boat dealer

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Luckily with a 190 you might be able to find a 1.8 out of a ski for cheap.

DeezKnots

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, doesn’t sound good man. Usually hydrolock means bent connecting rods, broken ring lands, any number of things. None of them is fixed without complete rebuild/replacement. Your delivery should have included those explicit flushing instructions, if they didn’t it was a major oversight.
They kind of just gave us the boat, no run-through.

So to make sure I have this right (because I've heard different things), it's:

Engine on
Water on
Water off
Engine off (after water drains)

That right? It wasn't revving very high when it stopped, so hopefully the internals are "ok" and I don't need a rebuild.

BTW, I really appreciate all your guys help and advice.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That and when it comes out of the water, start the engine and runnit to 4000rpm a few times. It's all in the owner's manual unfortunately.

DeezKnots

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Roger that, we do that when we pull it out of the water, I just go my dry-land sequence disastrously wrong. I’ll let you guys know what the damage is!

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Roger that, we do that when we pull it out of the water, I just go my dry-land sequence disastrously wrong. I’ll let you guys know what the damage is!
Yeah, keep us posted. I am sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you get her running!