• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help with retrieving boat in crosswind!

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the ramp we use has a pretty decent cross current and cross wind. My wife can’t back a trailer to save her life so she is always the one loading the boat ( 2019 AR240). She struggles getting the boat lined up on the trailer with the current and wind. Cobra jet fins will be here tomorrow and installed. But looking for something else to assist. Busy ramp and usually crowded. So anything to help speed up the loading time and ensure proper loading would be great. We had the PVC guides on the last trailer with our last boat but they flexed a lot. Anything solid out there that won’t flex out of the way? I know guides are more for visual reference, but she always get so nervous loading so hoping to find something to help center the boat.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I increased the rigidity of my guide-ons by fitting a 2x2 the length of the pvc down into the bracket before sliding the pvc on.

Also do a quick Google search for loading a boat in wind/current. There's a couple of good videos out there that will give good instruction on angling the bow into the wind/current, then turning onto the trailer.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the ramp we use has a pretty decent cross current and cross wind. My wife can’t back a trailer to save her life so she is always the one loading the boat ( 2019 AR240). She struggles getting the boat lined up on the trailer with the current and wind. Cobra jet fins will be here tomorrow and installed. But looking for something else to assist. Busy ramp and usually crowded. So anything to help speed up the loading time and ensure proper loading would be great. We had the PVC guides on the last trailer with our last boat but they flexed a lot. Anything solid out there that won’t flex out of the way? I know guides are more for visual reference, but she always get so nervous loading so hoping to find something to help center the boat.
I am thinking about getting a set of these guides. Bolivas put a set on his boat that he found at cabelas. He posted about them in this thread.
Go to page 115

1587913361674.png

Attachments

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I increased the rigidity of my guide-ons by fitting a 2x2 the length of the pvc down into the bracket before sliding the pvc on.

Also do a quick Google search for loading a boat in wind/current. There's a couple of good videos out there that will give good instruction on angling the bow into the wind/current, then turning onto the trailer.
Yeah, I have tried showing her those and have explained several times how to angle into the wind/current, but typical woman doesn’t listen 😂

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am thinking about getting a set of these guides. Bolivas put a set on his boat that he found at cabelas. He posted about them in this thread.
Go to page 115

View attachment 116946
Yeah I keep seeing those, was just concerned with them making contact with the side of the hull with those boats being so thin in that area. But still leaning towards maybe those or someone makes a solid metal upright that would make contact up on the rub rails.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I keep seeing those, was just concerned with them making contact with the side of the hull with those boats being so thin in that area. But still leaning towards maybe those or someone makes a solid metal upright that would make contact up on the rub rails.

My wife had same problem. I just decided to tie boat up at dock and then I go get truck and back into ramp. Then I get the boat and put it on the trailer and she drives it out. Pain for me but a lot less stress for her.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I gave my wife the task of backing the trailer. Whether it took her 1 try or 10, it was her job to get the trailer in the water. Now she says it is actually a lot easier than she originally expected it to be.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Loading is a challenge almost anytime, you add wind and current it becomes down right stressful, especially in front of an audience! My wife loads our boat and does a great job in all conditions but we committed to taking time during the week when the ramps aren't as busy to go out just to practice launch and retrieval procedures to get us BOTH comfortable with our responsibilities. It took about 4 or 5 outings at about 30 to 45 minutes each letting her make approaches to get pretty darn smooth and really comfortable. Also we would go down to the ramps during the busy times without the boat just to watch folks retrieving their boats just to let her see that almost everyone struggles when the wind and current are working against you. Gave her the boost of confidence she needed.
As most will agree the boat looks different from the trailer than when you are onboard trying to manuever. So I use hand signals to let her know what I am seeing the boat do and she interprets what she is feeling on the boat. I've had to convince her that if the current and wind is strong its going to take more inputs and speed to get the boat to react, reverse is her friend and that's why we have guide posts! Also I let her know that if she doesn't feel good about an approach she can always reverse her way back out and try again..if folks at the ramp are mad so be it..
Also make sure your bimini is closed or stowed, no need for a sail out!

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Second on stowing the bimini that thing will drag you away in a hurry when wind is blowing. The tall 60”+ guide posts are so helpful at getting the nose aligned on the trailer then just power on. I have ce Smith and they flex a little. According to others the vevo are more rigid.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife holds the boat, I back the trailer in, jump in and drive on. My brother in law can load the boat and is pretty good at it. The issue in crosswind and current you have to drive the boat on, which means thrust adjustment, thrust adjustment...you can't coast or you are screwed. The other issue is proper depth of the trailer to self straighten and hold, but not too shallow. I see guys bending their guides all the time. Near as I can tell they are just for visibility of the trailer when you can't back using the mirror.

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife holds the boat, I back the trailer in, jump in and drive on. My brother in law can load the boat and is pretty good at it. The issue in crosswind and current you have to drive the boat on, which means thrust adjustment, thrust adjustment...you can't coast or you are screwed. The other issue is proper depth of the trailer to self straighten and hold, but not too shallow. I see guys bending their guides all the time. Near as I can tell they are just for visibility of the trailer when you can't back using the mirror.
Yeah I have zero issues with the trailer. I learned how to use the mirrors at a young age. Have a camera on the truck and can’t remember ever using it. Just don’t want to spend the money on guides it they would only “benefit” me with the trailer and not her on the boat.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I have zero issues with the trailer. I learned how to use the mirrors at a young age. Have a camera on the truck and can’t remember ever using it. Just don’t want to spend the money on guides it they would only “benefit” me with the trailer and not her on the boat.
If you off on the front boat bunks the guides will be no help and they won't guide the boat to the center of the bunks. And if the boat isn't in line and it makes contact with bunk it's not going to put you back in line.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My daughter. Yeah but she and I have both bent a few Ve Ve guides coming in too hot with strong winds. I consider them as sacrificial items to protect the boat.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My daughter. Yeah but she and I have both bent a few Ve Ve guides coming in too hot with strong winds. I consider them as sacrificial items to protect the boat.
That’s how I treat it. I used to try and perfectly nail the direction and speed and it was so stressful. Now I just gently ease up to the trailer, make contact with the bunks if my alignment is perfect or one of the guides if I’m off a little. Then steer accordingly and power to the front bunks. If your depth is right you can correct your alignment before getting stuck on the bunks. Sometimes the guide bends a little and I just push it straight.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My wife had same problem. I just decided to tie boat up at dock and then I go get truck and back into ramp. Then I get the boat and put it on the trailer and she drives it out. Pain for me but a lot less stress for her.
I do the same, everyone keeps much calmer this way.... ;)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just read this post , I have been slammed so I have not had a lot of time to peruse this site. so forgive me for asking since I do not see your state or info I do not know what system you ordered, and my web site is still not up to date however I usually send people info about the new deluxe steering system I have until it gets on the web page , knock on wood , long story . however just in case I did not make you aware of the deluxe package I have for your boat it fits in with the description of your issues. Fortunately the deluxe version is also an easy upgrade for anyone with the magnum AK-19 system or the Super magnum AK -19 system
Original Super Magnum AK-19 system 1587922585679.png and the Super Magnum AK -19 Deluxe system 1587922655553.png

Here is info that is supposed to be on my site.

Super Magnum AK-19 Deluxe Features

We now offer a DELUXE version of the Super Magnum AK-19 steering system. We are also offering both the Super Magnum ak-19 package or the newest Deluxe package , along with a very affordable upgrade package for all previous Magnum Ak-19 and Super Magnum AK-19 steering systems.

Our upgrade package adds the Inside top fins and the planing surfaces to the existing Magnum AK-19 and Super Magnum Ak-19 system.

The top fins are positioned so that they do not come into play until the boat is off plane and operating at slow speed.

The position of the hull ,when off plane places these extra fins in the water and automatically out of the water once on plane again.

This automatic increase in the fin influence follows suit with the Super Fins as both are designed to add more steering influence when needed and automatically change that influence when the boat is on plane .

The combination of the side fins and the top fins when driving slowly in forward and reverse, driving in minimum or no wake zones, in heavy traffic, in wind , waves and strong currents, docking or picking up water sport participants from the water , the additional steering influence will make performing those activities much more accurate , predictable and responsive.

Also the planing surfaces created by the enlarged side force stabilizer brackets is reported to provide a very fast hole shot and a smoother ride in choppy conditions as well as a cleaner wake behind the boat at planing speed.

So if you did not know about the deluxe version and you wish to upgrade the system just let me know send me an email I have a lot more items and similar upgrades for the Magnum AK systems and other systems that I am trying to get put on the site as well.
F Y I , I always post updates on the cobra jet steering Vendor section here, and people usually call me or email me with their questions, https://jetboaters.net/threads/basic-information-about-the-various-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/

last pictures are the stand alone upgrade kit for existing setups and a picture of a members boat with the upgrade completed they can choose to chime in if they wish.

Attachments

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just read this post , I have been slammed so I have not had a lot of time to peruse this site. so forgive me for asking since I do not see your state or info I do not know what system you ordered, and my web site is still not up to date however I usually send people info about the new deluxe steering system I have until it gets on the web page , knock on wood , long story . however just in case I did not make you aware of the deluxe package I have for your boat it fits in with the description of your issues. Fortunately the deluxe version is also an easy upgrade for anyone with the magnum AK-19 system or the Super magnum AK -19 system
Original Super Magnum AK-19 system View attachment 116957 and the Super Magnum AK -19 Deluxe system View attachment 116958

We now offer a DELUXE version of the Super Magnum AK-19 steering system. We are also offering both the Super Magnum ak-19 package or the newest Deluxe package , along with a very affordable upgrade package for all previous Magnum Ak-19 and Super Magnum AK-19 steering systems.

Our upgrade package adds the Inside top fins and the planing surfaces to the existing Magnum AK-19 and Super Magnum Ak-19 system.

The top fins are positioned so that they do not come into play until the boat is off plane and operating at slow speed.

The position of the hull ,when off plane places these extra fins in the water and automatically out of the water once on plane again.

This automatic increase in the fin influence follows suit with the Super Fins as both are designed to add more steering influence when needed and automatically change that influence when the boat is on plane .

The combination of the side fins and the top fins when driving slowly in forward and reverse, driving in minimum or no wake zones, in heavy traffic, in wind , waves and strong currents, docking or picking up water sport participants from the water , the additional steering influence will make performing those activities much more accurate , predictable and responsive.

Also the planing surfaces created by the enlarged side force stabilizer brackets is reported to provide a very fast hole shot and a smoother ride in choppy conditions as well as a cleaner wake behind the boat at planing speed.

So if you did not know about the deluxe version and you wish to upgrade the system just let me know send me an email I have a lot more items and similar upgrades for the Magnum AK systems and other systems that I am trying to get put on the site as well.
F Y I , I always post updates on the cobra jet steering Vendor section here, and people usually call me or email me with their questions, https://jetboaters.net/threads/basic-information-about-the-various-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/
I just ordered these on Thursday evening and tracking shows them to be arriving tomorrow!!!
I ordered the Super Magnum AK’s with the fangs. Can’t want to get them installed!!! And big time props to you sir on your extremely fast processing time!!!

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Original Super Magnum AK-19 system View attachment 116957 and the Super Magnum AK -19 Deluxe system View attachment 116958

last pictures are the stand alone upgrade kit for existing setups and a picture of a members boat with the upgrade completed they can choose to chime in if they wish.
Just sent you an email as well.