• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

help with wakeboard sizing

All Seas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I rarely purchase things in person with researching the heck out of it first, but I walked into a sun and ski shop "just to look" and really liked a hyperlite state board they had. I talked to the salesperson, tried it on and away I went with my first board.

I am 5'10 about 195lbs size 9 shoe.

The setup they recommended (all pre setup) was a 135 with 7-10 bindings.
After I got home, I looked up the size chart and it states I should be a 140. I called and unfortunately they only offer the packages in a pre set configuration and would need the 10-14 bindings to get the 140 board.

So as a new wakeboarder, will the 5 cm really make a difference? What am I gaining/losing?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
For a beginner I would definitely have recommended you go with a longer board size for that weight which would be more forgiving of slower boat speeds that beginners tend to be comfortable at. Having said that the HL State is a great beginner board that is built to be really light and fast and will perform better for beginners on the shorter side than other board styles. Another up side it is also a great “boat board” if you have a range of beginners (kids to adults) and the 136-ish size is typically a good size board to shoot for if you are trying to accommodate a range of rider weights. I guess I’d recommend you look at a longer board if you are the only one that is going to use it but if this is going to be a family beginner board, I may stick with this size for this particular board.

Last edited:

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That definitely sounds too small. It will work, but far from ideal. You will need to ride faster, landings will be harder, and it will be a little more twitchy. On the upside, the board will be quicker to turn.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Find a new shop or order online. That's bs. You can get any bindings with any board.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah... i typically have a guy your size on a 142. I have a 135 for early teens. The hefty guys ride the 146. 122 for the little ones.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was lucky when I bought our first board that my local shop was willing to swap bindings for me. I wanted a board I could share with the girls. So first goal were bindings that fit us all, then I went bigger to accommodate me, more than them. They could ride a bigger board while learning. I needed it for my size.

I ended up with a Ronix 146 with 7.5-11.5 bindings. Surprisingly, we have been able to strap in kids to adults with those bindings comfortably. I would have never guessed anyone could make that good of a universal binding.