• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Here's one for the books

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, last year I noticed two of my trailer's tire valve stem caps were missing. I went to the auto supply store to pick up a set. I just wanted four of the black plastic type. They either didn't carry the plastic type or were out so I grabbed the aluminum ones. Last week I went to check the tire pressure and couldn't remove the caps on any tire. It's like they are welded on. I put liquid wrench on all of them and let them sit for a week.

Today I tried to remove the caps to no avail. I used two small wrenches I even applied a little heat from a gas grill butane lighter but they wouldn't budge. Now I've removed all the wheels to bring them to the local gas station to have them broken down and have the valve stems replaced. What a PITA. I'll be sure to use the plastic caps on the new stems.
Valve Stem.jpg

Last edited:
You've learned about galvanic corrosion! Who would have thought they would seize up like that?

You try lying the tires valve stems towards the floor and soaking them with WD-40? Basically so the bottom of the valve cap is pointing up and some of the WD could soak down into it.

You've learned about galvanic corrosion! Who would have thought they would seize up like that?
Yeah, I did consider that when I bought them but thought aluminum and brass have coexisted on boats for a long time and didn't think it would be an issue here. Guess I learned something. Just thought I'd pass it along.

So who did you piss off to have 2 valve stems go missing? I have a feeling there is a good story here.

So who did you piss off to have 2 valve stems go missing? I have a feeling there is a good story here.
Ha Ha, my wife maybe?

You try lying the tires valve stems towards the floor and soaking them with WD-40? Basically so the bottom of the valve cap is pointing up and some of the WD could soak down into it.
Ha, great minds think alike. I actually moved the trailer to get the stems facing down, soaked them good and tapped them to set up vibrations. Only had to move it twice to get all the caps.

Just to clarify.... I wasn't being a smart ass. I seriously wouldn't have thought that they would seize up so tight and quick.

Back