• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Hey Jetboat Pilot <Jet boat rudder?>

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I know your an innovative guy so Im waiting for you to offer us a after market version of that articulating keel. When will you be announcing its release ??;)

If you looked really closely at the new unveil of the fishing boats did you all notice the hull didn't quite form down leading to the articulating keel? Seemed different to me than the 2015 boats.

very different,
the 2015's are twin engine and the intake grates are off to the sides so they could make a defined "keel" and follow it with a rudder,
with the 190's the single intake great is on the keel line so they had to keep the normal hull and just add a "flared" front to the rudder that drops below the hull line.

Well seeing what they did on the CC boat has me waiting for some aftermarket options from the Smart guys in the room

It seems to me that it would be easy to manufacture an aftermarket keel out of a strong flexible material that would stick or glue on similar to applying keel guard. Glue is probably a better option since it would give you time to position it perfectly. Perfect positioning would be critical.

There are already two manufacturers of rudders... @Cobra Jet Steering LLC and @JetBoatPilot . And both of those fin sets will give you a great deal of control that Yamaha is introducing with the articulating keel. I didn't know the 190FSH didn't have the center keel rib that the 2015 240/242 has. But I agree with @Scottintexas , that adding it to the 190FSH was a different challenge than the twin engine boats. Trawlers and tugs operate as displacement hulls vs planing hulls, but the longitudinal axis of the boat is incredibly stable and responsive. I think the added rib down the center keel line on the 240 could be a benefit that that stability, but it may just be window dressing on these boats. I think the rack and pinion steering is a big advantage, as that takes some of the resistance pressure out of the equation from the turning nozzle. @Bruce , you hit the nail on the head with adding a keel rib...you could easily introduce a "pull" to the handling by not getting it perfect. Even if you got it perfect, the nozzles are factory designed along with pumps to counter certain predictable forces. And the addition of increased longitudinal stability will certainly change it, maybe for the better, but maybe not. I personally like the idea however...let's get keel guard to build one with a more pronounced and centering rib...but that will increase the draft as well...the good news is, that it is rubber and keeps your hull a few more inches off the bottom! Honestly, Will Owen did a test video of the new 2015 240/242 with and without his fins. His fins added greater stability to the articulating keeled boat. So @Evil Sports , the jet boat rudder is already available! And from two different vendors right here on the forum! The very reason that there is an articulating keel on the newer boats is because owners complained about handling...and guys that can think and fabricate answered that call over 10 years ago!

What effects do you guys think having that rudder would have on handling? I think that's the reason the Thrust Vector XL's lift up under medium to high thrust is so that it still has the jet drive feel and maneuverability? Has anybody compared an older 240/242 to one of the new 2015 models?

It is extremely important that the manufacturers get the keel rib perfectly straight. I just read about a problem with one of the molds on the Glastron 187 Jet and the boat would pull hard to the left because the keel line was off and became unstable above 28 mph or so. Glastron was refusing to replace the boat for this customer, but were going to "try" and fix it.

Last edited:
What effects do you guys think having that rudder would have on handling? I think that's the reason the Thrust Vector XL's lift up under medium to high thrust is so that it still has the jet drive feel and maneuverability? Has anybody compared an older 240/242 to one of the new 2015 models?

It is extremely important that the manufacturers get the keel rib perfectly straight. I just read about a problem with one of the molds on the Glastron 187 Jet and the boat would pull hard to the left because the keel line was off and became unstable above 28 mph or so. Glastron was refusing to replace the boat for this customer, but were going to "try" and fix it.
there was a member here having the same issue with his 187, I never found out what happened. I wonder if this is the same guy?? His post is listed in the Glastron section under "new 187 here"

Yeah, same story. He has been fighting Glastron but it sounds like he isn't getting anywhere, but it sounds like Glastron did admit a manufacturing defect.

Wow!! Unbelievable..... . I Know a bunch of us were wondering....that sucks..I'm assuming he explored his options with an attorney, especially since they admitted a mfg. Defect.

The new 2016 FSH has what looks like a bolt on ride plate with an extended keel plate attached. I have learned over the years that adding a rigid mounted rudder beneath the hull line increases the risk of damage to your jet pump and nozzle. The Thrust Vector XL and XV systems were created to allow you to have additional control at slow speeds while taking the potential for damage caused by contact with submerged objects virtually out of the equation.

We will be adding the Thrust Vector XV to the new FSH as soon as we get ours in July.

Back