• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HI I bought 14 ar240 has damage to hull didn't realize it is it bad

virgil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought this 2014 ar240 with lowes hrs in great shape other than this damage that I didn't see when buying it it definitely took a good hit in the front . It looks like a boiled egg when u crack and it feels sponge
20170603_153727.jpg 20170603_153750.jpg 20170603_153819.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Almost looks like somebody hit a floating channel marker ball.

Hard to tell with your description but if you took a screwdriver and tapped the hull with the handle around the good area you'll hear a hard knock. If you tap on the damaged area and it's a soft noise..... you need to get that cut out and repaired. Same if you push on the area and the entire area moves.

virgil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tapped on it with screw driver sounds solid but definitely looks like pieces want to fall out like a puzzle does it look like bad fix or expensive fix
20170603_170105.jpg 20170603_170051.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

virgil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how hard will it be to match the red is it gel coat or spray paint thats my biggest concern

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how hard will it be to match the red is it gel coat or spray paint thats my biggest concern
Spectrum makes color matched kits that are a pretty much perfect color match.

virgil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
is the top layer gel coat or fiberglass with auto paint. how would i find my color

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the structural fiberglass is solid, it's just a matter of grinding out the spidered gelcoat then re-gelcoat the area. The gel coat is where the color comes from, there is no paint. As mentioned above, Spectrum should sell your red, you'll just need to specify your year.

Gelcoat is a completely different process than painting. It requires specialized tools (for this big of an area). There are some good YouTube videos on repair if you're thinking of doing it yourself. Cost wise....its probably $500-800 as long as no fiberglass has to be relaid. Prices vary vastly around the country.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That price is for an average repair facility to do it.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
anchor is bouncing around in locker IMO

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ignore my question on pics.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those fiberglass guys are thieves....put a big vinyl graphic over it and call it good!:rolleyes:

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same exact issue with keeping my box anchor up in the anchor locker, this was even with padding inside, but with the constant bumping over time it happens. Lesson learned, on the new AR I have it under the port front seat.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@virgil any luck on the repair? How did it turn out? If it was in the anchor locker it must've been easy to get to both sides. I'm sure that made the repair easier. Anyway, just curious how it all turned out.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Heres a few pics before and after, overall the repair was solid, a little pricey but lesson learned.

Attachments

Keith Malec

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have discovered similar cracking to my 2014 sx240 on both sides of the hull on either side of the keel about 10-14 inches down from the rub rail just above the first chine. I've attached photos. Looking for others who may have a similar issue. I don't have an anchor in there and i didn't hit anything and its not from an anchor. If you look into your anchor locker it's a separate pan this is riveted just below the rub rail. This pan doesn't tough the outer hull at all on the bottom of the pan or on the sides like it appears when you look in there. There would also be fiberglass damage to the pan if it was from an anchor. In my opinion it is a separate from the structural beam that runs along the chine where the roller wheel sits and causes stress. This shouldn't be happening is a design flaw. its also happening to my friends 2014 AR.

Attachments

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like it took a minor hit to the bow and caused the gelcoat to crack. Could be when trailering. Fiberglass by nature flexes and where the impact is, is not necessarily where all the damage is. It doesn't appear structural just cosmetic.