• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

High engine RPMs 2008 SX210

chris2879

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had my boat out for the first time this year. My Port engine is floored at cruise will run up to about 8700 rpm. This is way to high and will not let it run there. The starboard runs about 8400. Both impellers have been refinished by impros. The RPM on the port engine is not new from the impeller refinishing, but my starboard engine no longer cavites on hard launches!

So my main question is could the tachs be off? If they are indeed accurate, is there an adjustable throttle stop, or does the cable need to be adjusted to not allow it to rotate all the way to the stop?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think if you throttle back you are leaving power on the table. What you could do is tell impros what's going on and they can repitch to get you your power at the lower RPM that you want.

I'm sure you can also adjust the throttle stop, but I struggle with your desire to do that... We want more power, not less.

chris2879

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
More power I absolutely agree.... But not at the sacrifice of a blown engine! I'm sure I could send them back, but not willing to be without my boat for 3 wks. If I back them off to about 8300 I'm running about 40 mph.

Why do you think staying on the cable is a bad idea or just the fact that I'm losing power? I agree... It's like it's running in a "lower gear"

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, only that. Perfectly viable for this season, send the impeller over the winter if you are flush and wish to.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Twin engines running at different RPMs will have a different sound than they do at appox the same RPM. I would play with the throttles and listen to your engines and determine if you tachs are actully off.