• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

High Water Alarm

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I am done wiring the Transducer and the Trim Tabs, I figure before I put the hatch back together I would like to install a high water alarm. Not sure if under the hatch or if in the engine compartment is the preferred location?

Also I looked at several, does anyone have a good review recommendation of one they use?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I made my own with a buzzer and some relays (and the float, of course). I put mine under the hatch, but anywhere is good. As long as you know when water is rising above a threshold to buy you time, you will be set.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I am not that skilled. Was hoping to get something that I could also wire up to a light or something on the dash as well as sound.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here’s what I installed. I attached the component to the sloping floor of the engine compartment, port side. This is because the air intake is lower for that engine. I ran the alarm underneath the starboard side storage as far as it would go so I could hear it while driving. I could have just added more wire and placed it somewhere else, but where I have it is hidden and I can hear it. Hope this helps.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. I ordered it. It is out of stock for a week or two, but since I will also add it in the engine compartment I can seal up the back hatch now.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I made my own with a buzzer and some relays (and the float, of course). I put mine under the hatch, but anywhere is good. As long as you know when water is rising above a threshold to buy you time, you will be set.
That’s pretty impressive to me. I wish I had the smarts to make my own.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. I ordered it. It is out of stock for a week or two, but since I will also add it in the engine compartment I can seal up the back hatch now.
You know, I was wondering about how important it is to seal the hatch. Since there is a removable lid sitting on the hatch, and that lid has an opening to allow water to drain into the bilge, why seal the hatch? Just curious.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its big. A lot of water gets in there at least on my boat and others as well. Mine doesn't drain into the Bilge, the hole and hose go into a fitting and out the back under the swim platform I believe just above the scupper, but the hose doesn't drain into the bilge. Draining into the bilge would be bad I think if waves were washing over pretty hard. It was like night and day how much was coming out of the keel plug at the end of the day. Below is my thread on my testing and what i did from last year.

Last edited:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Its big. A lot of water gets in there at least on my boat and others as well. Mine doesn't drain into the Bilge, the hole and hose go into the scupper I believe, but the hose doesn't drain into the bilge. Draining into the bilge would be bad I think if waves were washing over pretty hard. It was like night and day how much was coming out of the keel plug at the end of the day. Below is my thread on my testing and what i did from last year.

Your design is different than mine. The large gap where the removable lid would sit is raised on yours. Mine is flush with the floor of the hatch. So, your water obviously drains into the hole. Mine goes straight down into the bilge. Your design is much better. Thanks for clarifying this question. Now I know.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problem. I don't know much about the different year designs. About to have my first year anniversary with it in a few weeks.:)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suspect with the basics of electricity, if I get it, anyone can do it.

Seems convoluted, but once you figure electricity is like water flow you can make the circuit do your bidding. I added 2x1200gallon pumps in addition to the stock one all wired with the float, but my boat is older and my pump was not auto. If you wire the alarm independent of the pumps it will alert you to high water, but will not bail on it's own.

I don't know the ideal set up, It would be nice if you had more pumping power once the water triggered the alarm, or at least it triggered before the pump auto came on, so you could monitor, vs being warned (which is billion times better than no warning) but with no extra power you may need to hand bail in emergency where the pump can't keep up? Being warned of the problem is 90% of saving the boat, so the alarm is a great addition for sure, but is it also a good time to add more bilge power?

Something to ponder comfortably at home and not when the alarm is going off :D

Best of Luck! My older boat was saved at least 3 times from sinking by the float and pumps, so I'm a big advocate for bilge alarm and any more bilge power you are willing to invest in.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Beachbummer I am reading previous posts as well regarding a second bilge pump. I am looking at all the different models, some with an integrated float and some without. Plus the various brands. Not sure what direction to go. I would be also running a new line outside the boat as well. Trying to figure out what all to exactly buy for all needed components, still unsure

I don't wet slip, but I could be 10-30 miles off shore in the Great Lakes, bad time to be taking on water and have a bilge issue. Figured I should do it now. Not a big cost.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One challenge I had in selecting the pump is that some pumps have odd drain sizes so the components get harder to find. The attwood tsunami 800 is a great pump and uses 3/4 hose, so you can use nylon reinforced hose that is very strong and can be found almost anywhere.

Their next size up is 1200 which uses 1+1/8* hose. The hose is harder to find and much more expensive. If I had known up front I might have stayed with the 800, but what's done is done.

Rule pumps are very well liked, attwood is like the Citizen behind Seiko, or infinity behind Lexus. Mighty good but less well respected overall. Their pumps draw less per for same water output on paper, and their Sahara pumps have replaceable moving parts such that you could replace the motor pretty easy if ever needed. In your situation a reasonable excuse would be an attwood 800 in your new alarm circuit, with 3/4 hose and bilge outlet. If you wanted Max redundancy without regard for it looking like overkill, dual 1200+ with all the expense could be justified, but the single 800 is probably sufficient and a gigantic step above where you are now. Dual 800 would be a more reasonable choice too with the house being less expensive.

I admit I went for overkill when it was my turn and installed 2x1200 Sahara pumps with a float. These can run dry with no harm, so I have one pump a bit higher than the other. When it starts pumping water I know the level has come up a bit.

I recommend a smooth, strong hose for increased flow. Reinforced nylon is excellent.

You can't go wrong with any choice. Anything helps, you are just buying time so you can save the boat. Hopefully never needed, but always glad it's there.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here’s what I installed. I attached the component to the sloping floor of the engine compartment, port side. This is because the air intake is lower for that engine. I ran the alarm underneath the starboard side storage as far as it would go so I could hear it while driving. I could have just added more wire and placed it somewhere else, but where I have it is hidden and I can hear it. Hope this helps.

That is what I installed on my 2005 SX230.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't have one on my 242X. On my SX230 I put it in the back of the engine compartment. You c an see that install in this thread (also in my signature in tiny font!): https://jetboaters.net/threads/bilge-alarm-install-know-if-youve-had-a-blowout.624/
Thanks. I was curious because @HangOutdoors is seeking advice. Perhaps where I placed mine is not the best because it doesn’t give a lot of time to react if indeed the alarm goes off. Mine (in the engine compartment) is just a back up though in case I forgot to turn my bilge on, which was a situation I found myself in once. I caulked mine in place instead of running bolts through. It’s held for a few years now.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. I was curious because @HangOutdoors is seeking advice. Perhaps where I placed mine is not the best because it doesn’t give a lot of time to react if indeed the alarm goes off. Mine (in the engine compartment) is just a back up though in case I forgot to turn my bilge on, which was a situation I found myself in once. I caulked mine in place instead of running bolts through. It’s held for a few years now.
I put it in the engine compartment for the same reason (and for blowout alarm capability), and because it is easier to test when it is there.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am thinking about installing a sensor as well. I read the recent thread where the guys boat took on water and flooded. I'd like to avoid that if I can :)

I already have a 2nd bilge pump and float installed. I am thinking about using the same float and just wiring in an audible alarm in the cockpit. Just not sure what to use. Did a quick look on amazon and didn't see anything. Anyone install a waterproof, loud buzzer?

Edit - Found this.....

Last edited: