• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hit rocky section in river, destroyed impellers.

Travis242LSE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Long story short, we took an alternate route in the river yesterday and hit bottom sucking up 1" plus diameter rocks. Impellers are definitely destroyed. Who knows what else. Question is, do I upgrade pump, impellers to stainless or different pitch, etc. or go stock.
Boat is a 2017 242 Limited SE Series. Everything is stock.
Really need advice. Thanks

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we need pictures,

as babins, until you pull the impellers you won't really know,

I would buy stock OEM impellers unless you have some special circumstance that requires a different pitch, and with the supply chain issues I'd be ordering whatever I could find available today,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Depending on the damage you may be able to get the impellers reconditioned....but until we see the damage- who knows. Pulling the pump is easy. Look in the FAQ for video on how to do it (5 bolts and one spring release - you may even get a local who's done it before to lend a hand)

Travis242LSE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The impellers are not going to be savable. I had to beat a 2" rock out of the port side through clean out There's 1/2" chunks missing. I fine rebuilding them. Just wasn't sure if I should go OEM or after market. My needs are nothing really. I want speed but don't want to give up bottom end. So OEM is probably good.
Should I use local dealer or is there someplace you all recommend online.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The impellers are not going to be savable. I had to beat a 2" rock out of the port side through clean out There's 1/2" chunks missing. I fine rebuilding them. Just wasn't sure if I should go OEM or after market. My needs are nothing really. I want speed but don't want to give up bottom end. So OEM is probably good.
Should I use local dealer or is there someplace you all recommend online.
If you don't have the tools to remove the impellers from the shafts, what I'd do is buy them online and take them to your dealer to "install"...or a local jetski shop. Just take them the pump.
But you will also want to look at the wear ring and see if they are gouged.

Travis242LSE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My plan would be to purchase the tools, impellers, and wear rings, and what ever else. I'm 99% it'll need those those replaced..

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, the impellers can be tweaked at home so the boat is usable, unless it's total carnage, as long as the pump is still OK. Hammer and file will help you.

Check the pump. Does the shaft feel well in place and strong?

You can purchase refurb from SBT and send your damaged ones in on exchange basis. Or you can just buy new and sell your old ones as core (or discard them)

I have removed plenty of rocks from pumps and gone right back out. (Had sold the old seadoo boat, new owner's actions, but still a sight to behold)

Boat might run just fine minus 3-5 MPH while you figure it out (optimistically, but I would not be surprised if you only lose 2-3 MPH)

If the boat performs just fine to your liking, replace with OEM. If you go aftermarket You can get more top end or more bottom end, but not both. Impros are the premier impeller re-pitch people. (Or they were last time I needed impeller help)

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My plan would be to purchase the tools, impellers, and wear rings, and what ever else. I'm 99% it'll need those those replaced..
I would order whatever you could find in stock. I needed 14 different parts after my drive shaft broke, took 3.5 months for all the OEM warranty parts to come in. Longest wait was on some spacers and the pump housing, first parts to come in took a month. I would order what you need, and give it the ol college try to make what you have work for the time being.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ordered an oem wear ring beginning of the season it just kept getting back ordered. Ended up getting one from flea bay with a plastic wear ring.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was it any good???

I've read some bad reviews. I have a few mph that I can't find and I suspect it could be my 13 year old West ring and the groves it has.

If it was a good fit, can you point out which one you bought?

Travis242LSE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When I look for parts 3 different models come up. How the hell do I know which model. Shows different model numbers. I have the 2017 242 Limited S E series.

Travis242LSE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Been on phone, nothing in stock and everything on back order! Super fun!

Sx240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Try riva racing ordered two oem impeller housings only took 9 days there shipping department was behind but they had them in stock they might have other oem parts like impellers website was hard to find stuff on so just call

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have been waiting for over 2 months for OEM impellers. I finally decided to pull the pumps and send them to Impros. The guy I talked to said he could have them repaired and sent back to me in a week. So that’s what I’m going to do. He has the new style wear rings in stock, they are a slip fit and don’t need to be pressed. Give them a call. They are extremely helpful. I wished I had called them dooner. I slready paid for the new impellers that are on backorder, so I’ll have an extra set. I’m tired of Yamaha’s Bull Dookie

Travis242LSE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I guess I should've asked this earlier or reported earlier. I'm also getting a Drive Control Check Engine warning which has locked out the use of the throttle. All I have is idle.
I have tried resetting by disconnecting batteries but that's not fixing the issue or clearing the code.

Travis242LSE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I guess i am in the minority here beacuse if and when my oem impellers get damaged, i would never ever replace them with oem. The oems are straight pitch and cavitate like a sob. Look at all the cavitation and L13 threads we have on this forum. The oem impellers just wont hold the power. You change those impellers out to a pair of solas concords and you will never cavitate again. You wont gain top speed but your low end acceleration will be night and day.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I guess i am in the minority here beacuse if and when my oem impellers get damaged, i would never ever replace them with oem. The oems are straight pitch and cavitate like a sob. Look at all the cavitation and L13 threads we have on this forum. The oem impellers just wont hold the power. You change those impellers out to a pair of solas concords and you will never cavitate again. You wont gain top speed but your low end acceleration will be night and day.
I spoke to the dealer about replacing my impellers myself since the OEM's are on backorder. They told me it would not affect my warranty as long as I didn't change the pitch, and did not install high altitude impellers. After the warranty runs out, I'll upgrade for sure.

Travis242LSE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thoughts on the Double Stack impellers