• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hitch height for 242X

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

Getting a bit ahead of myself here, but thinking about whether I'll need a new receiver when I get a boat. I have an '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD (Mercedes 3L Diesel). I've only towed a small 6x10 covered trailer for motorcycle racing. For that trailer I use a 6" drop receiver which puts the top of the ball 20.5" off the ground. I'm thinking I'll need another receiver with less drop but hoping you all can get me in the ballpark.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

Getting a bit ahead of myself here, but thinking about whether I'll need a new receiver when I get a boat. I have an '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD (Mercedes 3L Diesel). I've only towed a small 6x10 covered trailer for motorcycle racing. For that trailer I use a 6" drop receiver which puts the top of the ball 20.5" off the ground. I'm thinking I'll need another receiver with less drop but hoping you all can get me in the ballpark.
I can't give you exact numbers for that model, but you're in the right height area as boat trailer tongues are typically low due to the profile of the trailer. I believe mine is 18.5" to the top of the ball and this gives me a dead level ride once the trailer is on the hitch with a 1.5" suspension sag (checked it with a 3' level to confirm my eye).
:D

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 242 and the base of my hitch (not including ball height) is at 16” (dropping 1.5” without being hitched) and the trailer is still not quite level. It still needs to go a little bit lower apparently. These pics were on gravel so there’s some play there, but hopefully it gives you an idea. I personally would like to have a hitch with height options though so I can find that Goldilocks spot.

Attachments

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks both! I was thinking that a larger trailer would be higher off the ground than my little 6x10. @sunbyrned it looks like your's is at ~20.5" at the top of the ball as well so I'm in the ballpark. I've been following your brake thread so will learn from your experiments.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks both! I was thinking that a larger trailer would be higher off the ground than my little 6x10. @sunbyrned it looks like your's is at ~20.5" at the top of the ball as well so I'm in the ballpark. I've been following your brake thread so will learn from your experiments.
That’s a heck of a thread to follow. Had no idea it would become three pages of information. Ha! More to come!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Todd Kyle

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi - I tow with a 2015 Lexus GX 460 with a tow package. With my 2017 242x on, it was riding VERY low. Made it tough to get on and off the hitch. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, I went to my mechanic and had him flip the ball on the receiver. It is now good to go - cheap and easy fix for me. Again, not sure if that will help you, but there it is :)