• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HO Freeride Slalom Ski

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wife is asking for Christmas gift ideas for me and what I really want is a new slalom ski. I am still using a 20 something year old HO Extreme, and it is wearing me out at this age. I have seen a few fat boy skis over the years that looked interesting, and then I found this... very, very interesting...

Anybody have one, or heard anything about it?

Last edited:

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I am curious to know if you have tried wakeboarding and if so, do you think that the big slalom skis are easier? What are the differences?

Thanks!

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I am curious to know if you have tried wakeboarding and if so, do you think that the big slalom skis are easier? What are the differences?

Thanks!
Your not hijacking at all... :)

I have a 2008 Obrien Vice wake board that I got at a ridiculous price when one of the boating stores here went out of business. I like it... a lot! I never touched a wake board until I tried my kids Airhead wake board (which was much smaller). I could get up and ride, but I didn't like it at all. The Vice made all the difference in the world.

I am good for about two to three good pulls on my slalom and I feel worn out. I swap for the wake board and can go for three or four more pulls... it just doesn't seem to take as much effort. But, I like to slalom more, and hope the the Freeride might be the answer. I have never had the opportunity to try a big slalom ski... so anyone that has any experience with 'em, chime in.

Attachments

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very interesting. I love to ski but my 50 yr old body doesn't like skiing on the rough water anymore. My days on the ski are getting fewer and fewer for that reason and I choose my days wisely. I have often wondered why they don't build a ski for rough water, etc. i am real interested in this one too.

Sorry I don;t have any info to offer. I wish their video would show some old dude skiing on rough water through a normal boat wake too. :devilhorns: Show me what this ski really can do.

By the way... my ski is older than yours :) but it carves like crazy on smooth water. On rough water it beats the hell out of me...

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, I'm getting beat up to... but mostly it's my arms and the getting jerked around when I'm on the slalom that I don't seem to feel on the wake board. I'm not cutting nearly as hard on the wake board... and the the idea or being able to ski a little slower on the slalom sounds good. I found a heck of a deal on a demo Freestyle on eBay, but it was to short :(

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Y'all are in need of a wakesurf board. Just sayin'...

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jawsf16 , I know... but I just need to be a little bit further behind the boat... with a rope pulling me... creating that little ball of spray. I call it my weekly "workout" ;)

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought an O'Brien syncro back in 2002. It is a wide body ski. It is the ski I'm using in my avatar. I still use it several times a summer, but it's getting harder and harder to find good water. I really like surfing because it doesn't matter how rough the water is you still get a good wave.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a Connelly Pilot a few years ago and have been really happy with it. I like it as it makes deep water starts much easier. I can't say it, or any other ski, is going to make rough water skiing any easier....

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought an O'Brien syncro back in 2002. It is a wide body ski. It is the ski I'm using in my avatar. I still use it several times a summer, but it's getting harder and harder to find good water. I really like surfing because it doesn't matter how rough the water is you still get a good wave.
That is one of the main reasons I wanted to try surfing as well. I have back injuries, surgerys etc. not to mention a bum knee... I never knew how much football as a kid would wreak havock on my body as an older man... plus years of inactivity due to the surgery and being overly cautious to not re-injure has lead to many unwanted pounds... Long story short I started wake surfing and love it. Best part is my adventurous side is peaking out and I my best friend is digging around for his old wake board and bindings for me to try. I want to do more but dont want to drop money on something I am unsure of. I bought my first board, a Liquid Force Fish and am already searching for my next one. I will probably do the same with the wake board if I get into that.

Last edited:

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone on here tried the HO Freeride?

This was a planned purchase for me this winter based solely on the marketing but I'd love to hear actual reports of people using this. I'm an experienced slalom skier but hate having to look for good water and this thing seems to be the answer. I don't want to get into wakeboarding (tried it years ago and also tried snowboarding and had the same "going sideways" problem that I could never get used to) but want something that offers a bit of an alternative. The other advantage of this is that it can be used interchangeably between me being goofy-footed and others easily.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's probably going to be Christmas, but I will have a new ski. It's looking like the HO Freeride, but you will have to wait for a review until then. Two things that WILL happen prior to next season... new ski, and PerfectPass. Patiently waiting on that PP / JB.net group buy... hint, hint... ;) where the heck is @perfectpass?

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am with several of you on here...this body cannot ski on my competition ski like I did 30 years ago. A couple years ago I bought this ski: http://www.connellyskis.com/product/connelly_slalom_shortline_ski Connelly Shortline known as a "Shaped Ski." I have been very happy with it and has made skiing and endurance much better. Could not find a video to post other than this one:

But, after watching the videos above, I am very interested in the HO Ski. It looks and sounds better than my ski and more fun! Cool looking too!!!

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Y'all are in need of a wakesurf board. Just sayin'...
Just bought the board BigN8 was selling. Will be learning to surf soon! Any pointers to pass along @jawsf16 ?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Watch some google videos about how to get up. I think the easiest way behind a non tower boat is to use a cleat for the tow point. This will keep you out of the jet wash to start. It was surprisingly easy to stay stable once you get the feel for starting. Also it's very easy on the body.

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @jawsf16 I do have a pylon for water sports to get rope higher. One of the few things I never liked about Yamaha boats was the low tow point.

JimG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Has anyone actually purchased and used the HO Freeride? A few said they were considering it, but I haven't seen any follow-up. I have been researching slalom skis as well, and Freeride looks like a good one for us 'slightly' older guys!