• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Home Builders / Window Technology

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thinking about renovating grandma’s house and this is the most diverse group of folks I have access to. Someone here may have an idea.

House was built in 1975. The back wall is made up of all windows. 2 rows of 4 4’x8’ glass panels. So 16 panels total. It’s a huge wall. Seems like at least one of the windows has been fogged over as long as I can remember. I don’t know what kind of window technology the house was built with, but I feel like this wall is a source of horrible inefficiency.

If you were building a wall like this today, what should I be looking at? What kinds of ratings or whatever? We are in central IL. So, we see some heat in the summer, and some cold in the winter. But probably not what others would call extreme on either end.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fog could be that the window seal has degraded over time. It may help others chiming in if you could provide the direction these windows face. N, S, E, W etc.? Sounds like you're a great grandson btw!

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you going for a window wall again? Are skylighs an option? In Wisconsin, it is common to frame the exterior walls with 2x6 lumber, used to be 2x4.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
😀 Windows face North.

Yes, I agree with the seal being degraded.

Other note: I’m not sure of the interior stud construction, but the home exterior is wood paneling (if that’s the right wording). 10-15 years ago grandpa put on a tin roof.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you going for a window wall again? Are skylighs an option? In Wisconsin, it is common to frame the exterior walls with 2x6 lumber, used to be 2x4.
I would prefer to. The view looks out over the family farm. But, it wouldn’t be a requirement if some of the view could be maintained. It’s not like it is overlooking a lake or anything - the view is mostly grass and fields. Lol

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are lots of 1970's site-built fixed windows here. They *all* have failed. I don't think local glass shops can build a double pane seal like they can in the factories (although lots of the 70's factory built double pane units have also failed). I'd argue for pulling them, reframing, and putting in something decent quality but reasonably priced, like Anderson 100 series.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fine home building magazine this month has an article on the evolution of window glass- it may have some useful info for you.