• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Home Stereo Speakers - Loud and Clear?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have a rockin' new Years Party every year and each year the dancing gets a little louder and more fun. I was considering upgrading my speakers to improve the sound in the room.

What I have now:
  1. Sony - 1015W 7.2-Ch. 4K Ultra HD and 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black
    Model: STRDH770

2. Klipsch - Reference Series 5-1/4" 340-Watt Passive 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (2)
  3. Klipsch - Reference 12" 400W Powered Subwoofer - Black
  4. 2 Infinity rear surround speakers (came with the house)

I am considering getting something like:
  1. Klipsch - Reference Dual 8" Floorstanding Speaker (Each) - Black (on sale at Bestbuy for $360 each)

Thoughts? Anything else in that price range that would do the job? I assume my amp has enough power to drive these well (given the subwoofer is really loud and self powered).

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My buddy has the Klipsch and they are pretty nice for the price point.

Replacing the bookshelf with those is going to be a nice upgrade. More sound then you would need IMO.

With that said, I can notice a significant difference from his to my B&W 600 series. Also a significant price difference lol

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My buddy has the Klipsch and they are pretty nice for the price point.

Replacing the bookshelf with those is going to be a nice upgrade. More sound then you would need IMO.

With that said, I can notice a significant difference from his to my B&W 600 series. Also a significant price difference lol
The room they are in is 20 x 25, so I was thinking of putting the big speakers in the front and moving the current bookshelf speaker to be the rear speakers. Figured that would fill the room nicely?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would just to keep the system uniform. Also be sure when you play music that you set it to play out of all speakers. The Sony might do it automatically, some do, some dont.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would just to keep the system uniform. Also be sure when you play music that you set it to play out of all speakers. The Sony might do it automatically, some do, some dont.
Yeah...it has an all channel music mode I typically put it into.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
FYI - these usually go super sale on Black Friday IIRC.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Julian,

If you’re looking for loud, stand-alone tunes for your party, you might consider powered monitors. Keep your home theater doing HT well instead of trying to be a loud 2 channel party setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FK48JW8/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

Easy connectivity streaming and simple and will work for outdoor parties...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian,

If you’re looking for loud, stand-alone tunes for your party, you might consider powered monitors. Keep your home theater doing HT well instead of trying to be a loud 2 channel party setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FK48JW8/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

Easy connectivity streaming and simple and will work for outdoor parties...
2 years ago we blew my Onkyo amp towards the end of the party.....probably my fault as it wasn't very powerful and we had it all the way up for a long time! So I'm talking about needing some serious sound. Right now it is pretty loud with the Klipsh speakers and 12" sub...I'm just looking for a little more volume without having to push these bookshelf speakers quite as hard.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2 years ago we blew my Onkyo amp towards the end of the party.....probably my fault as it wasn't very powerful and we had it all the way up for a long time! So I'm talking about needing some serious sound. Right now it is pretty loud with the Klipsh speakers and 12" sub...I'm just looking for a little more volume without having to push these bookshelf speakers quite as hard.
Got it. Just make sure the speakers are your limiting factor in the 7ch configuration and not your amp.

You’re inspiring me to throw a New Years party this year!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m sure these aren’t at all what you’re looking for, but I have a few of these at school (work) and LOVE them. No amps or anything needed, just connect laptop in via rca (1/8” to rca stereo adapter cable) to one speaker then the other speaker as slave to the first. Also gives you a couple xlr mic inputs, etc. when you slip into dj mode. Lol

2 project plenty of sound to fill a gym with 700 students for an all school assembly. Would love to have a couple to play with at home and kids church/school events. But, for some reason the boat sucks up all my play money (and most of my real money too). :)

QSC K12.2 Active 12" Powered 2000 Watt Loudspeaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y477LND/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_sKuVBbXJQACG2

Edit: just to clarify, that’s the price for one. Which would produce more than enough sound, but I always like to have 2. :)

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m sure these aren’t at all what you’re looking for, but I have a few of these at school (work) and LOVE them. No amps or anything needed, just connect laptop in via rca (1/8” to rca stereo adapter cable) to one speaker then the other speaker as slave to the first. Also gives you a couple xlr mic inputs, etc. when you slip into dj mode. Lol

2 project plenty of sound to fill a gym with 700 students for an all school assembly. Would love to have a couple to play with at home and kids church/school events. But, for some reason the boat sucks up all my play money (and most of my real money too). :)

QSC K12.2 Active 12" Powered 2000 Watt Loudspeaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y477LND/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_sKuVBbXJQACG2

Edit: just to clarify, that’s the price for one. Which would produce more than enough sound, but I always like to have 2. :)
Like this... @Julian but less power/cost :)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That would blow the room away! I guess I neglected to mention that I want the speakers to be a part of my day to day surround sound system too. These have fans in them and are probably massive overkill....but I do like the idea!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Onkyo is no longer the high end stuff it use to be. Thermal overload protection is no where near a new thing. Onkyo name is just being slapped on mid grade stuff that is basically the same as higher end pioneer, sony, etc. HK has even started cheaping out a bit. These days they are all just compter sound boards with a bigger amp section, a display, and buttons. The issue is that dolby keeps iterating the signal standard for HT (atmos I believe at this point) you will need to upgrade to get the latest.

Those Klipsch towers will sound good without spending significantly more money. Grab a center channel while at it and you can have a 7.1 system full time. Your amp will drive it all, just don’t leave it over 75% for a long period.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the older rc-7 series that look the same. They cost nearly triple that. I like them, but those 8s don't put out much bass at all. They are totally midrange speakers. They are super clear and the sub fills in nicely. I'm feeding them around 150rms @8ohm and that's plenty because they don't have much travel. Goes too loud and i like it loud!