• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hot start issues - 212X with 8 hours

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Any one have issues with hot starts on the 1.8? This has happened three times to my starboard engine. With only 8 hours on the motor is seems strange. I'll shut it off after pulling someone wakesurfing and when I go to restart the port fires right up, where as the starboard will take 4-5 long grinds of the starter before it comes back to life. Thoughts?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any one have issues with hot starts on the 1.8? This has happened three times to my starboard engine. With only 8 hours on the motor is seems strange. I'll shut it off after pulling someone wakesurfing and when I go to restart the port fires right up, where as the starboard will take 4-5 long grinds of the starter before it comes back to life. Thoughts?
I have experienced a similar issue when wake surfing - with the surf side engine in (heavily) ballasted boat. Is the engine that's giving you trouble the ballast/surf side engine?
I have got some very good suggestions from several members, did not have time to implement any yet. Wonder about iridium plugs, per @KXCam22, that would be an easy potential solution.

--

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have experienced a similar issue when wake surfing - with the surf side engine in (heavily) ballasted boat. Is the engine that's giving you trouble the ballast/surf side engine?
I have got some very good suggestions from several members, did not have time to implement any yet. Wonder about iridium plugs, per @KXCam22, that would be an easy potential solution.

--
It is the surf side motor. I wasn't running extra ballast but we did have 8 people in the boat. I'll have to read up on the solutions.

scottbailie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just had the same problem this weekend. 2017 212X w/ 30 hours. First time surfing, first time having this problem - surf side engine!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, guys - lets try some troubleshooting. I did not have the time to mess with this last weekend, would like to test the exhaust snorkel idea, which should work, and maybe iridium plugs -that would be the simplest solution.

In the meantime, I kept mine going /idling, with only very short breaks if needed.

Also keep in mind it is easy to fry a starter.

--

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, guys - lets try some troubleshooting. I did not have the time to mess with this last weekend, would like to test the exhaust snorkel idea, which should work, and maybe iridium plugs -that would be the simplest solution.

In the meantime, I kept mine going /idling, with only very short breaks if needed.

Also keep in mind it is easy to fry a starter.

--
Agreed - I run iridium's in my supercharged 4Runner and have only changed them once in 100K. Cheap insurance for what I'm sure is a $200+ starter. I've done a brief search both here and Google and can't find a concise answer on what iridium's fit the 212X's 1.8?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are the troubled motor's cranks fast like the good motor or slow?

If slow ... maybe a low battery issue? Try starting the troubled motor first as the battery might be too low after one start. Unlikely but came to mind.

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are the troubled motor's cranks fast like the good motor or slow?

If slow ... maybe a low battery issue? Try starting the troubled motor first as the battery might be too low after one start. Unlikely but came to mind.
They crank fast and sometimes even cough to life for a split second. I think the idea of too much backpressure on the exhaust is accurate. It is just what to do to combat that. I know I certainly don't want to stop surfing!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what I think the consensus has been from the other thread's discussion - too much back pressure and fuel flooding it. @KXCam22 suggested iridiums as a potential remedy - as those would be more likely to still fire when flooded (with fuel). I don't know if that would work, but if it does - it would be the best/easiest solution.
The engine is under big load with lots of fuel poured possibly making an over rich condition on restart. I would suggest a change to iridium plugs since they fire easier. The electrode temp is better at burning off contaminants. Not really evidence but my 230 has no issues with restarting after a heavy surf. Cam.
I have had iridiums in my 190 for a while, did not see much of a difference, certainly not a performance mod in my mind. But those might serve a very specific purpose here - firing better under adverse conditions of a submerged pump.

If no one else tries I will test a set of iridiums (in one engine - the other as a reference, before and after) - but it will not be until after Bimini trip at this point.

The iridium plugs (for 1.8l) part is ILFR6B - NKG (6481). The conventional plug is LFR6A - NKG (6668). The cost of iridiums is about twice.

--

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think I'll switch after my first (free) 20 hour service. Don't want the dealer to think I'm rough on a brand new boat.

thorsome

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2015 did the same thing. I did a search and saw it happened to others and the cure for them was to let it idle for a moment before shutting off the engines- especially if they've been worked hard.
I've been doing this and haven't had an issue since.

djsquid

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Let me second the solution by @thorsome. Mine is 2014 212x, had this problem for sometime, especially after running hard or surfing. The simplest solutions is to let it idle for a minute or two before shutting down after it's been under a heavy load. This should solve your hard starting problems.

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mine is up in Portland Oregon at River City Boats today for its first service - and the answer I got from the service tech is: "Yeah, that is common with these." Not that that is an answer at all but the fact many people are having the issue and it doesn't have any long term effects satisfies me. We ran the heck out of it for 4 days straight at a family camp we go to and it did anything and everything we asked. Great boat! We did also suck up our first rope....thank-you clean out ports!

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Like everyone else same problem right after tubing or surfing shutdown too soon...engine would be hard to start. Solution let it idle for a few seconds and then shut it down. I don't seem to get it as much when I do that. It can be either engine no difference on sides. I wish it was safe enough to leave the engines at idle....we have a lot of falls or switching out water toys and it kills me to keep shutting down and starting both engines. Such troubles..

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@geohil We also experience the same issue....but it's never been such an issue to be too bothered. Going surfing tue or wed....join us!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other