• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

hot water in center storage

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi all

Has anyone experianced water getting into the center storage compartment between the captains chairs? it doesn't fill up but i did notice a pool of water in this area after a very long day of boating. it does drain out when i pull out the water. when I seen this I immediately looked in the motor compartment and no water is visible at all. I only noticed this after my break in when I opened it up... @ScarabMike This storage compartment does have a drain hole. Just don't know if this is normal... Thanks in advance

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hot hot is it?

Do you think it is warned by the sun or exhaust cooling water somehow moving forward?

Is your bilge pump on, is it pumping anything?

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I do think exhaust cooling...but how in the world is it getting into my ski locker? the water is definitely not hot from the sun...lake mead isn't exactly warm where i go.I have seen a thread after posting . they called it ski locker, I assume this is happening to a lot of people and this is normal?I mean there is a drain hole in the ski locker so maybe bad design? or is it designed for this to happen?...sorry I'm new at boating. been riding skis foe only 2 years. Thanks for the help....This is the thread i seen.https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-scarab-195-hoi-water-in-ski-locker.9913/@ScarabMike @Scarab255 @Scarabski

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am wondering if your bilge is filling sufficiently with exhaust water that it is coming up into the ski locker.

If so the bilge pump should be pumping hot water as well.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@702mireles Be careful with the hot water in the center locker. @Slugger55 had the same issue, and it was water intrusion coming from a worn carbon seal. This was caused by bad engine/drive shaft alignment that caused premature wear on the seal. The shaft is cooled by the surface water underneath the boat, and in the bellows. This is why the water was very hot.

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@702mireles Be careful with the hot water in the center locker. @Slugger55 had the same issue, and it was water intrusion coming from a worn carbon seal. This was caused by bad engine/drive shaft alignment that caused premature wear on the seal. The shaft is cooled by the surface water underneath the boat, and in the bellows. This is why the water was very hot.
@ScarabMike this concerns me Mike. This is a brand new 2016 ho impulse. It had 0 hrs on it. I have 10 and am sending it in for the break in oil change. Is this something that needs to be fixed ASAP? Or am I driving the boat to hard? What is the fix please? @ScarabMike

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need to have them check this asap. If left unchecked, it can fail completely, and overpower your bilge pump. @Slugger55 boat had little hours on it as well when his failed. Also, it cannot be checked outside of the water, the boat has to be submerged.

FYI, another thing that leads to carbon seal failure is flushing the boat more that 2 minutes repeatedly over time. The carbon seal overheats when out of the water, and leads to failure.

@ScarabMike this concerns me Mike. This is a brand new 2016 ho impulse. It had 0 hrs on it. I have 10 and am sending it in for the break in oil change. Is this something that needs to be fixed ASAP? Or am I driving the boat to hard? What is the fix please? @ScarabMike

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This happened to my sea doo ski at the 30hr mark as well. I'm not as familiar with the boats but usually with the ski when the seal starts to fail usually water only comes in while the shaft is turning. To identify this was the issue I left the seat off so there was light in the engine compartment stuck a go pro down in the hull near the shaft and and recorded while moving on the water. You could see water spinning off the shaft while moving I'm assuming the same idea can be employed on a boat to verify. If you have them fix it under warranty make sure they realign the engine properly so it doesn't happen again you will be surprised how many times I have heard of this happening on skis and when the shop replaced the seal they never realigned the engine so it just happened again a little later.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@ScarabMike is correct. My 195 had 24 hours on the engine when I found the water in my ski locker... Don't run the boat, get it looked at...

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thank you fellas...you all have been grea help. I will show this thread to the dealer tomorrow...
This happened to my sea doo ski at the 30hr mark as well. I'm not as familiar with the boats but usually with the ski when the seal starts to fail usually water only comes in while the shaft is turning. To identify this was the issue I left the seat off so there was light in the engine compartment stuck a go pro down in the hull near the shaft and and recorded while moving on the water. You could see water spinning off the shaft while moving I'm assuming the same idea can be employed on a boat to verify. If you have them fix it under warranty make sure they realign the engine properly so it doesn't happen again you will be surprised how many times I have heard of this happening on skis and when the shop replaced the seal they never realigned the engine so it just happened again a little later.
thank you

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Slugger55 did ur scarab dealer, have to order new parts for you? How long did it take you to get the 195 back bud? I'm a bit impatient about this BS sorry... Is your scarab a 2014-2016?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes they did, and everything is on backorder. @Slugger55 boat has been down for a couple months if not more.

@Slugger55 did ur scarab dealer, have to order new parts for you? How long did it take you to get the 195 back bud? I'm a bit impatient about this BS sorry... Is your scarab a 2014-2016?

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just got an email from BRP... They are pulling parts off the production line and sending them to MM overnight. I have been on the phone chewing on who ever answers the phone. MM Pensacola has been great! Not impressed with Scarab nor BRP...

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
2014. Bought brand new and on my second engine. Third time I have had the Drive train fixed. I think it is lawyer time....

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2014. Bought brand new and on my second engine. Third time I have had the Drive train fixed. I think it is lawyer time....
Man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll get it all straightened out soon.

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that..I pray I don't have these issues. Glad those parts are coming...

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I told myself that I wouldn't rant and complain when all of this started back in May. I really don't want to discourage anyone from looking at the Scarab line and here is why. The Scarab line is really still SeaDoo which made an awesome line of boats and they stopped making boats in 2012 for whatever reason. Now we have Scarab which was started in 2014 and the QA on the first year was hit or miss. @ScarabMike has been running his boat and has had no major issues (he takes care of his own equipment). The bottom line is that SeaDoo had savvy technicians and now Scarab is back to square one with very few people who have extensive knowledge of this boat line. My local Yamaha Tech here in Panama City is SeaDoo savvy, but he will not work on my Scarab. Go figure... Anyway, again I apologize for the rant and I hope to have my boat back next week. And for those who are looking at Scarab, just make sure you have good support for your service needs.. I LOVE my boat and I still get compliments when I am out on the water, I just wished it was on the water.:sorry:

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Slugger55 droped my boat off today at a dealer in Havasu AZ. They took my boat to the water and started servicing it the moment I got there. They're leaning towards lose hosing and over filling the bilge area. JR MOTOR read all the replies on this thread and are concidering all possibilities. Wish me luck

Last edited:

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would be very curious what the problem is.....