• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do I get this off?

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm trying to install a new reverse gate cable on my LX but can't get one of the plastic fittings off (#1). I can turn it a bit but the whole connection (#1 +#2) turn together--not sure if that is a problem. However, the main problem is that the area is so small that normal wrenches won't fit so I'm wondering if I it is going to be absolutely necessary to remove the bracket (#3)--something I'd rather not do if I can find another way to get the fitting off.

#4 is the old cable so I might be able to cut if off at the back and then get a socket in there but it might be fairly hard to cut.

Has anyone come across this problem before and found a good solution?

nut.JPG

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sears and Gear Wrench sell socket sets with open centers so bolts can fit through them. I believe one of those would work.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce thanks for the reply. I went to Sears to check out these sockets but they didn't have one large enough. I wound up using a 1 1/16" socket--I just happened to have--after clipping off the cable at the base of the fitting. The fitting was at a downward angle so I had to used a swivel and a couple of extensions to be able to loosen it enough to get it off.

After getting the plastic off I managed to get the old cable out and the new one in without too many problems. The only thing that really caused problems was that the cable to the port reverse gate that I was changing was connected to the starboard side of the shifter :wacky: and it took me a few minutes to realize this after trying to pull through the wrong cable with no success.

IMG_3857.JPG

joep411

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Im getting ready to do this on my 2002 LX2000 in the morning except I am having the same problem with both nuts turning. Any suggestions? Also do I need to take off the bilge tray to replace the cable or can I just remove that nut and connect them together and pull it through? I saw a couple of post where it said to reseal with 4200 when done. Basically looking for any info or tips from someone who has already done this.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You will want to seal the back side of that fitting with some caulk or 4200 to prevent leaks. It will also make it easier to feed the new cable through. On my old 230 when I replaced mine it was a very tight fit getting the cable through the fitting.....had to be hand guided from the inside.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@joep411 you will want to remove the bilge cover not sure you could do the job without removing it. If both nuts are turning you will need to use another tool to hold the one closest to the transom still while you unscrew the back one.

@Julian this is a pressure fitting. Mine had caulk on the inside around the thru hull fitting but not around the cable. I cleaned up the plastic parts and put some vinyl conditioner on the rubber seal and put it back together around the new cable. I have not experienced any leaking. I did use LifeSeal on the inside and outside of the steering cable where it passes through the hull.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used an O2 sensor socket that you can get as a loaner from your local Autozone, etc. Once I had the nut off, I still had a hard time getting the cable through and I definitely needed the bilge open to see what was going on during the steering and gate deflector cable installs.

Here was my link of when I did this - not a lot of additional info and this is a different boat than yours

https://jetboaters.net/threads/removing-3m-5200-and-my-steering-cable.7128/

joep411

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Cool thanks for the tips guys I will be tearing into this today, I appreciate the help.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@joep411 you will want to remove the bilge cover not sure you could do the job without removing it. If both nuts are turning you will need to use another tool to hold the one closest to the transom still while you unscrew the back one.

@Julian this is a pressure fitting. Mine had caulk on the inside around the thru hull fitting but not around the cable. I cleaned up the plastic parts and put some vinyl conditioner on the rubber seal and put it back together around the new cable. I have not experienced any leaking. I did use LifeSeal on the inside and outside of the steering cable where it passes through the hull.
You are correct, but the twisting and bending I had to do on the fitting had me concerned that the through hull fitting would leak, so I felt that caulking it was prudent and since I was already in there it only made sense. So I removed the old sealant and replaced with fresh.