• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do the Yamaha’s charge their batteries? Or do they. (Excluding solar trickle on my 252 2021)

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I installed a Noco smart charger and can keep the batteries in good order … but am I to understand that without a supplemental charge, the batteries would eventually deplete as there is no alternator ? I’ve been told they share the same feature as a motorcycle….I’ve never had to charge my bike. Can anyone clarify ? What am I missing?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a stator-based generator, but not an alternator. The difference is amount of output and the ability to regulate. Basically the stator is much cheaper and less powerful (and depends more on engine speed). So it does charge the batteries, but not anywhere near as quickly as would your alternator in your car. Basically, you are probably fine with how much it charges unless you float for hours at a time with a decent stereo system running. Then you would need an hour or more of running to recharge that. So many folks will a) add dual batteries and b) add a charger to top things off while storing so it is ready to go full.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Ok. Great info guys thanks. So, they are basically self sufficient if you run the engines long enough…but like you said, if you are floating with a serious current draw….good idea to top them up.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep. A lot depends on your use case. If you are towing a tube all day long, you have nothing about which to worry. If you are sitting for 8 hours running a stereo with a 2 amps, 2 subs and 12 speakers, then a full array of lights as the sun goes down (including the subsurface ones), you will need battery capacity and that may not all be filled up in a 15 min run back to the house to be ready for a repeat the next day... Most of us fall in between somewhere.

Plus, consider that a battery not being used will last longer if on a quality charger/maintainer (I have a Minn Kota, myself--thanks Mikey). The more a battery sits, the more charge it loses and the more life it loses as it sits without charge. So these chargers will really cover you twice...

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can put things into perspective for you. A couple of weeks ago we headed out to the lake and backed the boat in just as any other normal outing. Went to start the engine before totally backing off the trailer, hit the key and nothing, nada, zilch. Pulled out the water, parked and scratched my head. Checked connections, lanyard, etc - all the typical stuff. Found out I left the main power switch turned on since we last used the boat, which had been a couple of weeks. Luckily I had my lithium jump pack along. Hooked that up to the battery, let it give a bit of charge, hit the boost button and it gave it enough to get the engine started. Knowing my jump pack works, we went on with our day. Ran around the lake for a good 15 mins at a decent rpm and shut the engine off just to see how much charge I had gotten. Engine roared to life as nothing had happened. So we went tubing, cruising, sandbar swimming, etc like nothing had happened. But, we didn't use the stereo when beached and I sure as heck took the jump pack along. Then put it on the charger when we got back home. So long story ..... but yes, the engine can put charge back on the battery when fully depleted.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Great insight into reality by example. . thanks for that. 👍👍