• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

How long does a shipping cover last?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2 years by my experience. I've been using my shipping cover almost exclusively for off season / long term storage on the side of my home, so when it's in use it is exposed to the elements 24/7. For two off seasons it was or seemed to be completely water proof. This past weekend I needed to move the boat and when I went out to it for the first time since I put it away in early to mid October I found this.
image.jpg
When I started to remove the cover I found this.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I suspect that all of the temperature cycling caused the plastic on the shipping cover to crack. The cracks let water in which got soaked up by the felt or felt like backing of the cover. It's been raining on and off for about a month now so the result was a moldy cover which let plenty of water into the boat and caused mold to develop on all the seats and some of the hard surfaces.

I've since thrown the shipping cover out, cleaned out the boat (soft scrub with bleach and simple green worked wonders) and put the standard cover on.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Definitely not the way I planned to spend the first day of Winter but glad I discovered this now instead of four or so months from now when there would have been much more mold to deal with. I also went down to the $1 store and got 10 imitation ridex (dehumidifier) kits (small container and material), I put five in the boat initially and will check it in a month or so to see if they need to be replaced.

I'm debating whether to buy another shipping cover for off season use or if I should just get a standard or premium mooring cover instead. I guess it will depend on what's available, hopefully I'm not too late to take advantage of a sale I recall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
@Ronnie , your climate out there in northern California is such that I think a shipping cover is an "ok" storage cover and as a full time off season cover, 2 years without issue is a pretty good run. I have a shipping cover that was on my 2 year old "new" boat, and had never been used other than storing until I bought it. That cover cracked and would have been worthless the day I bought it. Climate is a killer on those things, because they are not designed to last, with that vinyl coating and felt backing. Plus, they are designed to go on a dry boat (one that has never been wet) to be shipped from TN to dealer. They were never designed to be storage covers on boats that get use as they just don't breath well. I think a geography is more limiting on these type of covers than anything. UV is the biggest killer I think. But as you discovered, any water under that cover and mold can develop because it just doesn't let the boat breath. Sorry for your winter chore! Yamaha doesn't sell that cover but some dealers my price it and sell it or you may see them on ebay. But you can't buy them "new". If you could get them for $100, a two year run would be a pretty good deal, because they offer a great amount of protection and can handle at least some snow load that the mooring cover can't...but they don't breath, so a boat must be dry, and it just can't be in a high heat/high humidity climate or your asking for issues. As I have been typing, I was considering other reasons that the shipping cover I have may have cracked. It was a cold day I took delivery, and that cover was stiff like the skin of an onion, that may have been a factor as well, high heat and UV during the summer, and bitter cold winter...kind of like trying to coil a cold garden hose!

My shipping cover is going strong at almost 10 years.......inside a climate controlled warehouse! It has never seen the sun after I purchased it. Let this be a reminder that the shipping cover does not breath and will perpetuate mold growth like a greenhouse. The covers work well on new boats with no moisture or to tow down the highway to save your nice expensive cover.

Does exaclty as it says, "shipping cover" not storage.

I like Murfs idea, climate controlled warehouse. Group buy, place in said warehouse, i'll book my place now ;).

to tow down the highway to save your nice expensive cover.

I wouldn't use the shipping cover to store for periods of time. They don't breath their not water tight and they don't protect from UV. I only use mine as a dust cover when inside and when I tow long distances like @Murf'n'surf said. The new Deluxe Premium covers are awesome. I have never had water get in my boat and it has sat outside in some pretty good rain storms.

The first two years I used it in the offseason it was water tight, not a drop of water in the boat after being covered the entire off season. So far this year I think I would have been better off leaving the boat uncovered but than I'd probably have fading and / or other sun related damage to deal with. I'm checking to see if Will at JBP has anymore close out mooring covers. If not and I cannot find another standard mooring cover I may just bite the bullet and buy a premium black version.

Last edited:
Problem solved, Will at JBP still had two standard mooring covers available as part of a blow out sale he started a few weeks ago. I bought one of them for $300 plus shipping. This is about what I paid for the shipping cover so the shipping cover cost me $150 per year which is still less expensive than shrink wrapping or indoor storage. I had a Seadoo with a cover that used material similar to that of the standard yamaha mooring cover. It lasted four years outdoors. I'm up hoping to stretch the life of my current mooring cover/now winter cover to at least four years since it will only be on in the offseason and I don't plan to tow with it. The next cover I buy, assuming it's not a home with covered storage, will likely be the premium black one or if the timing/money is right a custom cover from JBP.

I use a storage cover for storage during the season (parked in my driveway over the summer) I've had it for 2 years and it is doing fine, although my climate is much more mild.

I use it because I got tired of the standard mooring cover letting water into the boat when it rained. I put multiple coats of water repellant on it and it still happened every rain. I'm hoping they made improvements on the standard cover for the new style, because the ones for the 07 boats are useless, the only thing I use it for is towing

I put a small fan inside on a timer to move the air around and have had no mold growth, they also have the solar fans that mount on top of the tent poles that I have thought about putting on, but haven't purchased to try it out yet

Going on my 5th season using the shipping cover for winter storage. Works well in the cold dry Chicago winters but need to get it off pretty quickly in spring just like shrink wrap.

Last two seasons I stored my boat outdoors with the mooring cover on and then the shipping cover over it. The boat gets cleaned before getting put away and is dry with open packages of baking soda all around inside. Each spring it has been bone dry and no mold.

This past season my mooring cover started to rip in areas that cause constant tension like the front bow nav lights and the rubber nub on the windshield (the ONE time I forgot to put the pool noodle over the top windshield!!! Grrr). My mooring cover has a tear around one of the tower legs, but overall is in decent shape.

I'll either be buying a new mooring cover this season ($700 for 3 seasons is pretty sad I think) or repairing the two small holes I have in my current one. It's also not waterproof anymore but I treated it this season and it seems to be holding up ok.

Thanks for the info guys.

@Skysurfer2010 , if the holes aren't too bad consider buying iron denim patches to fill them. Some are close in color and they don't cost much. I'm sure tear aid would work also but that stuff is expensive for the amount you get. JBP had one mooring cover left at $300 as of yesterday. I think 3 seasons for $700 sucks too but $100 per season is not bad.

What water repellent did you use before?

I use it alternately with my other covers, but I would guess I have towed about 4000 miles with my shipping cover at highway speeds.
Have been trying to reduce the wind stress on my other surlast and sunbrella covers when I go on trips.
Been kinda trying to kill the shipping cover over the past year.
It is not in perfect condition but works well.

Back