• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How Much Water in Bilge to Activate the Pump?

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all,

2019 Yamaha SX210

I am curious of how much water in the bilge is supposed to activate the automatic feature that is talked about in the manual.

I trailer my boat. My pump is powered only when my 4 position (off, 1, 2, 1+2) battery switch is in the on position. The bilge pump runs when I turn the helm switch on, it does not stop running (only ran it dry for 30 seconds, waiting for it to auto-off)

Today, I filled the bilge until the pump was mostly covered, no auto activation. I switched the helm switch on, pumped out the water, waited for it to cycle off for a bit, turned off helm switch to prevent it from burning while dry.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Someone else may chime in if I’m incorrect but I believe the bilge pump doesn’t have a water level float to activate it rather it activates on a schedule (like every 3 min for example).

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone else may chime in if I’m incorrect but I believe the bilge pump doesn’t have a water level float to activate it rather it activates on a schedule (like every 3 min for example).
Thanks for your reply. I have sat in the boat with the batteries on (reading this forum) for longer than that for sure. I have never heard the pump activate. I will test this again and make sure I do not cover up that sound with the stereo or other noise and have the engine hatch open.

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does the bilge light on the helm come on (at least flash) during the back-reassure cycle test? I have a 2020 252SE and there’s a small light on my helm that activates when the bilge pump does

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the bilge light on the helm come on (at least flash) during the back-reassure cycle test? I have a 2020 252SE and there’s a small light on my helm that activates when the bilge pump does
The only time the light comes on the helm switch is when the helm switch is physically pushed to on.

I sat on the floor of the cockpit with my back to the engine, with the engine hatch open for 10 minutes. No automatic activation. While waiting googled and found that pump on Amazon (Rule-Mate 500) and it is listed as automatic (internal float?) at 2 inches of water. Three wires, brown, brown with white stripe, and black. Browns are labeled manual and automatic, black is ground. I pulled on the connector to see if it would release but kept slipping further into the compartment and hit my head on the engine cover and gave up. Will try again soon. I will try to check voltage on each brown.

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ah Ha! Found the 3 amp fuse. It is blown. Manual is of no help.

Rummaging around garage to find another. Think it is deemed a "essential" trip in these times we live in....burden Amazon with a order?

Once I get a new fuse, I'll keep a eye on it to see if it is popping prematurely and do function tests.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It will cycle every few minutes and if it doesn't detect water then it doesn't turn on and run to pump out the water. If water is present then it will run until it no longer detects water.

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New 3 amp fuse installed. Filled up the bilge, twice. Automatic pump worked fine, fuse stayed intact. Helm switch does light when auto pump is on, regardless of the physical position of the helm switch.

Maybe the installation of the 4 way power switch and the additional battery caused a surge somewhere that the low amp fuse didn't like. Just another item to go on the check list.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It will cycle every few minutes and if it doesn't detect water then it doesn't turn on and run to pump out the water. If water is present then it will run until it no longer detects water.
210 does not cycle intermittently for this year boat. It is an auto bilge and unlike the older years that cycled.

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
210 does not cycle intermittently for this year boat. It is an auto bilge and unlike the older years that cycled.
Yes, that is what I found in the 2 fill and pump-out cycles yesterday. No timed checks, just float or sensor activated pump outs on my '19 sx210

It would start pumping about mid-way up the side of the pump and stop with about 1/2 inch. My guess is that oil and gas float and stopping short of a full evacuation of water would retain the slurry and let you dump it at the boat ramp instead when you drain with some tilt. After I finished my tests yesterday, I drained the hull, was surprised of the amount of water that the pump didn't get. The two times I had it out, at the ramp, there was only about a quart of water to drain and since my auto bilge fuse was blown, I guess I dodged a bullet that I didn't have a larger amount of seepage or a big rainstorm filling my cupholders.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, that is what I found in the 2 fill and pump-out cycles yesterday. No timed checks, just float or sensor activated pump outs on my '19 sx210

It would start pumping about mid-way up the side of the pump and stop with about 1/2 inch. My guess is that oil and gas float and stopping short of a full evacuation of water would retain the slurry and let you dump it at the boat ramp instead when you drain with some tilt. After I finished my tests yesterday, I drained the hull, was surprised of the amount of water that the pump didn't get. The two times I had it out, at the ramp, there was only about a quart of water to drain and since my auto bilge fuse was blown, I guess I dodged a bullet that I didn't have a larger amount of seepage or a big rainstorm filling my cupholders.
I left my drain plug out on my first launch and the bilge kept up with the water.... I did jump in and get the plug back in quickly at the dock. Doh...

I am in the process of adding a second bilge in the bilge compartment at a much lower point than the OEM bilge; 1) as a backup, and 2) to drain the water that the OEM isn't draining. Why not....