• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How not to tow:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is stuff like this that gives me pause on my Bimini plans. I have to take 6 people and the boat 9 hours each way. My quad cab ram would be very cramped. I have run the numbers on our Durango RT. 13,100 GCVWR - 5,331 curb weight-5,600 normal wet load boat and trailer - 900 lbs actual passenger weight- 400 personal gear = 869 lbs within the rated limit. With 1769 lbs of cargo/passenger capacity amd including the tounge weight I am also 419 lbs within the cargo rating and have tires that are rated much better than the axles. The tow rating is 7200 lbs. So by all of the numbers I am within the down force load and pull/stop load ratings. That said it is a little close for my comfort and I am still thinking about it as I don’t want to end up like that guy. Side force wind load over a bridge like that can be significant.

There have been lots of towing threads on here where I preach caution (mostly where someone would be overloaded by ratings ) and this is why. Now I find myself within the ratings but still questioning after seeing this.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It doesn't even really appear to be damaged. How did that happen?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It is stuff like this that gives me pause on my Bimini plans. I have to take 6 people and the boat 9 hours each way. My quad cab ram would be very cramped. I have run the numbers on our Durango RT. 13,100 GCVWR - 5,331 curb weight-5,600 normal wet load boat and trailer - 900 lbs actual passenger weight- 400 personal gear = 869 lbs within the rated limit. With 1769 lbs of cargo/passenger capacity amd including the tounge weight I am also 419 lbs within the cargo rating and have tires that are rated much better than the axles. The tow rating is 7200 lbs. So by all of the numbers I am within the down force load and pull/stop load ratings. That said it is a little close for my comfort and I am still thinking about it as I don’t want to end up like that guy. Side force wind load over a bridge like that can be significant.

There have been lots towing threads on here where I preach caution (mostly where someone would be overloaded by ratings ) and this is why. Now I find myself within the ratings but still questioning after seeing this.
I did 3500 miles in my Crew Cab ram with 4 people. That is probably about the limit for that long of a trip. No way in quad cab.

I don't think wind was the cause, probably bad driving, as we have the worst drivers in the country. It is also right at a spot where the overpass begins (and is 6 lanes wide) I don't think wind has been much of a factor there, not like it is when driving across the bay.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

There have been lots towing threads on here where I preach caution (mostly where someone would be overloaded by ratings ) and this is why. Now I find myself within the ratings but still questioning after seeing this.
Can you rent a 4dr 2500 from the local Enterprise? Plenty of interior space and tow rating to make the trip. Small expense in the grand scheme of things for that trip. A dry bag ($50-ish from Amazon) in the bed will keep luggage dry for the trip. Just a thought.

As to the original post....I'm curious how close this trailer was to the 5200lb rating on that explorer?!?! I know nothing of travel trailers, but it seems that one is fairly small. I don't see a WD hitch, or sway control on that setup either, but the pictures aren't that detailed. I'm really curious how it was setup, and what the circumstances where.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Renting a 2500 for a week is probably a grand, easily. I was looking at more than that to rent an F150 from here.

More taxing than the price is driving with 6 people in the car for 18 hours, lol. Fly 'em.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Renting a 2500 for a week is probably a grand, easily. I was looking at more than that to rent an F150 from here.

More taxing than the price is driving with 6 people in the car for 18 hours, lol. Fly 'em.
Flying does not work out so well as we are stopping in on family a bit more than half way down. I know the numbers say I am in spec by about 10 percent every which way and I know others have done similar with lower towing rated vehicles and been fine. I just like to play it safe when it comes to my family. Just looking at something durango or explorer sized towing a 24ft boat or camper does not even look right to me never mind adding 6 people and gear. I think I am going to trust the ratings and go for it. If I feel uncomfotable at any time I will have them rent a car.

I would love to know the details around the accident.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I tow once and a while with my wife's explorer sport with the 3.5 ecoboost it pulls our 21ft boat with ease but the difference between my gmc canyon rated at 7000lbs is noticeable. The solid rear axle of the truck just feels more in control vs the independent suspension of the ford. If a camper like that begins to sway it would be scary to say the least.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow once and a while with my wife's explorer sport with the 3.5 ecoboost it pulls our 21ft boat with ease but the difference between my gmc canyon rated at 7000lbs is noticeable. The solid rear axle of the truck just feels more in control vs the independent suspension of the ford. If a camper like that begins to sway it would be scary to say the least.
It still amazes me how well the "mid-size" canyons do with towing. I would not have expected that at all when I test drove one. My uncle tows a 21' CC from VA to the coast a couple weekends a month with his. Loves it.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It still amazes me how well the "mid-size" canyons do with towing. I would not have expected that at all when I test drove one. My uncle tows a 21' CC from VA to the coast a couple weekends a month with his. Loves it.
It definitely does well. The rear end barely squats with my scarab hooked up. It tends to rev a bit but overall it's very stable.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Well I saw the video of how they removed it --- basically got a crane and tied a strap around the rear.... the crane lifted the rear while the car slowly moved forward.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Scarabpaul @2kwik4u I pull our 242 with a diesel GMC canyon - tows well but not winning any races. I did add an air lift system which makes the truck handle much better when towing. Not an answer for @Mainah however.
I used to have a Durango with the Hemi, but at that time a much smaller boat. I did tow some heavy loads pushing the Durango limits, but all local roads. The Durango that heavily loaded was tough to stop - even with a brake controller to adjust the trailer brakes. that was an '05 so not sure if the brakes have been improved since.
Our Canyon has engine braking, so with that and trailer surge brakes, it is an easy rig to stop

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That happened in St. Pete, about 60 miles north of us. The traffic is not only heavy, it seems as we have the worst drivers in the country during the winter season.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That happened in St. Pete, about 60 miles north of us. The traffic is not only heavy, it seems as we have the worst drivers in the country no matter the season.
Fixed that for you.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

There have been lots of towing threads on here where I preach caution (mostly where someone would be overloaded by ratings ) and this is why. Now I find myself within the ratings but still questioning after seeing this.
I will tell you right now that the tow is around 12 hrs from Sumter. That was with gas, food and restroom breaks. I was towing about 65mph in my 2500.