• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How often should Bilge Pump Run?

Joseph Porreca

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I normally trailer my boat but this week I have a slip for a vacation I am on. Been sitting on the dock an noticed that every 25 to 30 minutes the boat will spit some water out of the bilge pump while tied up at the dock and sitting on it. Is this normal? I do have all of my plugs open and can sometimes see some water in the ski locker splashing through the plug. Like I said normally trailer the boat and keep it on a steep angle at rest to have the water drain out the back open plugs. Reaching down into the bilge engine compartment area the only path that seems wet seems to be from the fuel compartment plug which is open. I can't believe I would have a hull leak but I guess anything is possible. Any opinions would be helpful and thanks in advance.

2015 Yamaha AR192

Last edited:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In a perfect world it would never run. Sounds like you have a leak from somewhere. Where are you sitting on boat? Has it rained lately? Taken water over now? Slowed down and brought wake over rear or a lot of on and off boat while wet?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It should check for water every two minutes. Nothing should come out of the bilge unless it has been raining or you have been in rough water.

Next time you have her on the trailer use a water hose to fill the bilge and watch for where it comes out of the hull. You can do this with less water if you park on a hill.

It could be as simple as a slightly loose drain plug.

Joseph Porreca

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It poured on my trailer drive up. I figured the by getting it up on plane the first day all the water would come out. where should i pour water in with a hose on the trailer. Pour water right on the pump area in the engine compartment?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Placing the hose by the bilge pump should work well.

Joseph Porreca

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks could be. filling the bilge area would not show me a hull leak on the sides correct? Weird my head is racing trying to figure out the best way to solve this and help me sleep better. Thanks for all the advice.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most leaks are around the drain plug or another thru hull fitting. You might start by simply tightening the drain plug and see if the problem goes away.

I like to use the drain plug without tools. I somewhat frequently under tighten it for day trips and find that the bilge pumps a little during the day. For longer launches I make sure it is sufficiently tight.

Is she in the water now? Is there a risk of the battery running down?

Joseph Porreca

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Battery is fully charged Pulling her out tomorrow morning. You are probably right cause I did not take great care in putting those plugs in before the trip. Amateur mistake.

Thanks again

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like a leak somewhere. When I tighten my drain plug it goes in snug, then another thing 1/4 to 1/2 turn with the wrench.

Another source of water on my boat I discovered last weekend (after 4.5years) is in the clean out tray. It seems there's always water on there on top of the plugs. I always thought it was either slowing too fast so water gets up on that ledge of people dripping water when drying off. Well last weekend as soon as I cleared the channel, I had to stop and remove weeds. It was a little rough and while I was done there I noticed water coming up the drain for the clean out tray. It seems that about any wave will slop some water back up the drain into the tray. Once in there, it can leak down past the water boxes into the bilge.

Joseph Porreca

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys seem to be correct filled the bilge with water and I see a steady drip coming from the left hand transom drain plug. I would assume that must be the culprit then? Anyone have a place where I can order them online or should I head back to the dealer.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If it's still under warranty, then you can have the dealer fix it. note though that it may take 1-2 weeks or more. Some of the other guys may have a better idea of where to get a replacement...the challenge will be: how easy is it to reach that particular spot from inside the boat. I recently changed the scupper on my boat and although it wasn't necessarily hard to do, it was a challenge to get down to tighten it on the back-side.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
also pull your cleanout plug at the end of everyday to prevent it from getting crud built up and stuck, I left mine in at a slip over a week and it was the only time they ever became stuck.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You guys seem to be correct filled the bilge with water and I see a steady drip coming from the left hand transom drain plug. I would assume that must be the culprit then? Anyone have a place where I can order them online or should I head back to the dealer.
Is it coming from the seal between the plug and it's base or is it leaking around the base of the plug?

If between the base and the hull then it may just be a matter of removing the base and reinstalling it with fresh calk.

@ArmyChief, did you change your plugs?

Joseph Porreca

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well the latest troubleshooting seems to be if I tilt the boat up to drain and fill the bilge when I looked at both drain plugs it seems to be that there is a steady running drip coming out of both of them. Does this simulate the problem I am looking for? Cause in theory these plugs should prevent water from coming in correct. Is it a reasonable assumption that water coming out is normal. I still have an active warranty. My dealer recommend changing the to brass which is not something I want to attempt. Should I try putting it in the water first or do you think that test indicates the problem? Thanks again in advance. This form is great.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can easily convert to brass. The holes may or may not line up and just a little 5200 and 3 holes you should be good. Pretty simple. There is a post about drain plug LED where someone did this and had a write up. I'll look later and post as I'm at work @Bruce also has a write up linked earlier as well.

Joseph Porreca

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys are great thanks again.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My boat takes on water just about every time we go out. I dry slip mine during the week with the plug out, btw my 212 only has 1 drain plug. I dont buy the people getting in and out reason at all. I have days where no one has brought water into the boat and we still get water. One day in particular comes to mind where we went up to visit some friends on the river up north. I had the boat beached and the back of it it caught a ton of wakes for like an hour. Later that day the bilge kicked on and I was freaked. There is something about the back of these boats that water gets in through. Could be as simple as the rub rail is not sealed well but I dont know. Im about to put mine in the water for 6 days in New Hampshire I will see how many days it takes before I see water in the ski locker

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce

Have not replaced my plugs yet. Based on my measurements, the brass will be a little too big and may need some modifications. However, someone DID apparently put brass in with no issues. My OEM plastic ones still seem to seal fine. The only reason i was considering replacement is to put LED drain plug lights (Diablo). That project has taken a back burner for now.