• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to access 2020 165 head unit wiring

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Just picked up my boat yesterday and got home late yesterday. With only a cursory glance I didn’t immediately see how to access the back of the kicker head unit. If it’s not an act of Congress, I want to install a remote between the two swim deck/ lounge area speakers. Any insight?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Completely unrelated because I don't have the newer model and it didn't come with a stereo (installed my own). So can't really help you on where it's located, etc.

BUT pro tip: go through every clamp you can see in the engine area and ensure all of them are snug. It's happened more than once that somebody at the factory forgot to tighten a clamp and then, catastrophic failure. You should check all the clamps at least once a year regardless. Every year, I discover a clamp is loosening a bit.

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Biggest issue so far is whomever buffed my boat at the factory needs bamboo shoots driven under their fingernails😂

Fastjew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Actually not too bad...just remove the four bolts along the bottom of the gauge cluster and it comes out along with the plastic tray under the windshield.

Last edited:

Cpt_Caveman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Completely unrelated because I don't have the newer model and it didn't come with a stereo (installed my own). So can't really help you on where it's located, etc.

BUT pro tip: go through every clamp you can see in the engine area and ensure all of them are snug. It's happened more than once that somebody at the factory forgot to tighten a clamp and then, catastrophic failure. You should check all the clamps at least once a year regardless. Every year, I discover a clamp is loosening a bit.
I’ve got a 2017 base model 165, and looking to install my own as well. Looking for information on finding switched power or not to worry about it, as well as getting details from someone who’s done this already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Personally, I repurposed the courtesy light switch for the stereo bypassing the ignition entirely. Now I can turn the stereo on/off regardless of the key setup. But I don't have any lights except the standard single LED they have pre-installed. It just turns on along with the stereo.

Cpt_Caveman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Personally, I repurposed the courtesy light switch for the stereo bypassing the ignition entirely. Now I can turn the stereo on/off regardless of the key setup. But I don't have any lights except the standard single LED they have pre-installed. It just turns on along with the stereo.
What amperage does the courtesy light fuse support? That’s definitely an interesting idea. I’ll have to look into fishing the wires back from the console to the engine compartment. I want to put the dual speakers by the back seat the same as the stock setup

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I don't use the courtesy light fuse (which is only 5A). I have an inline fuse to the amp.

Running the wires through the driver side gunwale is pretty simple. I have my amp installed near the battery as well. I ran wires for the switch but also for the control pad for the amp too so that I could mount it on the dash.