• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to adjust throttle control?

Vaboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 07 sx230. The throttle controls are stiff as all hell going from reverse to neutral to forward and so on. when I open it up I have a hard time keeping them in sync due to throttle drop. Also have a perfect pass system that was on the boat when I bought it but never use as it’s a pain in the ass and won’t allow one engine into no wake mode. So yeah any ideas ? I thought maybe new cables would help and make adjustments at the throttle handles but not sure if the perfect pass will screw me up.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What these guys said... Also, that Perfect Pass system is no longer available, so it you aren't going to use it, I'd recommend taking it out and selling it. Put some money in your pocket, and make another "classic" Yammie owner very happy. That said, if you get your throttles adjusted correctly, I think you'll find the system is very nice to have. I purchased and installed mine halfway through this summer, and love it. I had some problems also with throttle adjustment, and it not going back to complete neutral, which would've also affected no wake mode. I believe I adjusted mine at the Perfect Pass linkage that is bolted up to the side of the engine. Get the main throttle assemblies tuned, do the throttle drop fix, and once that's all done, work on adjusting the cables to allow it all to work in harmony. Not hard, just takes some patience and understanding.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
strange circumstances,

I would have though throttles that are "stiff as hell" not to also show "throttle drop" and with all the PP units on our board I haven't heard of anyone complain PP was stopping their no wake mode from working,

For the throttles I would do as the others have mentioned above but with an eye on are your cable's corroded and need to be replaced, stiff operation is normally and indicator of cables going bad,

I would also delve deeper into the no wake issue if you want to get your boat right, if your not worried about it I would also suggest removing and selling it as I bet you could easily get $500. for it, if not more and the longer you keep it the more chance the LCD display is going to go out or the battery in the antenna is going to go and cost more money,

No wake is very sensitive to voltage issues and we had a write up (maybe in the FAQ) about adjusting the sensor/screw on the engine itself to help fix "intermittent" operation,

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure that you are holding the "No Wake" switches until it kicks into no wake mode and not just flipping it.

Vaboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No wake works perfect when I have the pp system off, also only experiencing throttle drop when system is off. When I referred to “stiff as hell” going into forward reverse and neutral I’ve learned it has something to do with bucket cables.