• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to contact rotax/BRP ??????

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
This is to anyone that can help me on how to get in touch with rotax tech. Support or engineering !!!?!

I have a problem with my 2016 250hp rotax losing rpms now that the temperature has gotten in to the high 70s to 80s here in Michigan.
Dealer told me yesterday that 400 loss of rpm and 6mph is ok , normal .
I'm sick and tiered of the attitude they have with rotax and really don't give me anything but take your boat home.
I bought this boat for summer fun but lose power when temperature goes up.
I done everything stated here on the forum and nothing until the temperature drops and it's fine.

Someone please help

I would love to talk to someone from BRP about this and see what they say

Yan Masse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Found this in an old thread from ScarabMike :

GIVE US A CALL

(888) 272-9222

Have your VIN or model number on hand for faster assistance.

*For assistance outside of the United States, please visit the BRP Website.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
thanks, called and emailed brp and scarab, just waiting to hear back
its funny the woman that answered at BRP customer service ask what kind of boat i have and said she loves that boat and wants get one, but after telling her about owners issues she said my rethink it.
scarab needs to step up in the customer satisfaction soon.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Scarab boaters ,
Got email back from BRP saying that I must go through Scarab for any issues!
They will not talk or comment on anything.
So I did get with costumer service at Scarab they are looking it my issues right now.
As far as the loss of rpm in the heat they said this is the first they heard of this issue?

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Does the loss happen after running for awhile or right off the trailer? Do you run with the blower on?

Another thought, since you have the 250 HP maybe get a IR temp gun and see what temp the external intercooler runs at.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Scott,
Well if the temperature outside is in the 80s and water temp is in the high 70s then loss of max rpm off trailer.
I noticed that even on cooler days right off the trailer rpms are better, engine still warming up, but once engine up to temp. 195-200f , I start to loss more rpm/ speed.
Temperature related!!
I seen engine compartment at 110-120f
Engine temperature as high as 205f

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have run the blower nothing really!

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Scarab boaters ,
Got email back from BRP saying that I must go through Scarab for any issues!
They will not talk or comment on anything.
So I did get with costumer service at Scarab they are looking it my issues right now.
As far as the loss of rpm in the heat they said this is the first they heard of this issue?
I am not trying to put words into BRP's mouth, but they shouldn't have re-directed you back to Scarab. Did they mean a Scarab Dealer, not the corp? If they are sending you back to the dealer, that would be the correct thing to do and they will tell BRP their findings and get this corrected. In an overheat issue, you will lose some power depending on the severity of the issue.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can attest to the fact that heat will affect top speed and rpm. When I used to run modded seadoo skis with stage 2 and 3 Riva kits, I would see a 2-5 mph loss in the hottest parts of the year. I believe that humidity plays a role as well.

Weather or not your amount of loss is acceptable is not in my realm of knowledge. You will see a loss but the reasonable amount needs to be determined.

You might find some threads on this topic on geeenhulk.net forums. I know it's not specific to your boat/motor but will give you some scientific knowledge on the matter.

Speed_Freak_039A

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Exactly. You will lose a few hundred rpm possibly when the water and air is warm. Make sure you use premium gas to help it in the heat. Running the blower to bring colder fresh air into the engine compartment should help also

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Here is an extract from something I have found on Chaparral Vortex Owners Group Facebook Page:

"All Rotax 4-TEC engines have a knock-prevention system that retards ignition timing when it detects a knock (or premature combustion) event. This system ensures that Rotax 4-TEC engines are safe while running 87 octane fuel.

It is difficult to say how much performance will be affected because the knock-prevention sequence varies based on a number of variables. For example, if the system detects only one knock event, it might not react, but will store that event in its memory. If, within a certain period of time, more knock events are detected, ignition timing might be retarded 1/2 degree. This would have a minimal (~50 rpm) effect on performance. If, however more knock events are detected while the timing is still retarded, a more significant delay in ignition timing will occur. This could reduce a couple hundred RPM.

The system is constantly monitoring knock events and will automatically advance timing after a certain amount of knock-free operation.

The likelihood of knock varies greatly with the age of the engine, ambient temperature, altitude, quality and octane rating of the fuel. Regardless of these conditions the knock-prevention system is always working to protect the Rotax engine."

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks guys,
Brp said to go to dealer and if does not get resolve contact Scarab, which I did due to dealer saying nothing is wrong.
Scarab was very nice to talk to and they did get with dealer to resolve issues.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Great that your problem was resolved, and what was the issues??

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Sorry, dealer still working on boat.
I don't know what's going on with engine yet, brp is now involved with it also.
I went above dealer because the way they treated me and my wife, we tried to be nice and work with dealer but that didn't work. I don't like spending 45k on a boat and now only getting 3/4 throttle with no good response.
I just pray someone will figure it out soon, we love the boat.