• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to get your 2016+ AR192 or AR195 in a garage less than 7'

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes it is doable. "Where there's a will there's a way, right"?! :D

Figured I would share in this forum section how to fit one of these boats into a garage that is less than 7'. My garage measures 83" at the opening but I had a 1" lip of concrete that is higher than my driveway, therefore making my actual clearance 82". If you tried a caster mod or floor jac + deflated the tires all the way + removed the tower nav light ....the boat still will not clear that opening!

So here is what you have to do:

The tower collapsed position is defined by a cable at the rear of the tower base, you can see this cable when you collapse the tower. Open up the rear seat storage, stick your head inside, look up and you will see the mounting bolts for the tower as well as a rubber washer that is sandwiched by two metal washers with a 10mm nut holding them on the threaded cable. Secure the tower in the upright position so that it relieves the tension on the cable and gives you slack to work. Now grab a pair of pliers or vise grips so you can grab the threaded cable and then remove the nut. Do the same for the other side. Now your tower can sit inside the boat below the windshield giving you the same height as an SX without a tower. Just be sure to be extra careful when lowering the tower as it will sit against the window coping and use the tilt steering wheel I the highest position to give you temporary support so you can push the boat in the garage. Be sure to use some rags or towel in between the tower and window coping to prevent scratches or marring. You will need to build a simple support to act as a brace and hold the tower off the window coping and steering wheel. I'm using a pair of heavy duty plastic car ramps instead of building a support frame.

Hope this helps someone and illustrates that it can indeed fit!

UPDATE:
I made some extensions so that I can adjust exactly how low I want the tower to sit inside the boat. I went with a long bolt than necessary as it helps when I comes time to getting your arm up in there to there into the threaded coupler. I went with all stainless hardware. The thread is 1/4-20. Use blue loctite to hold everything together once you're ready and have your desired spacing

Here is the stainless threaded coupler. Half gets threaded into the tower cable and the other half the bolt and washer assembly threads into.

Here is the setup I use for the extension. This allows you to lock on the desired position.

With the adjustment nut spacing amount shown above this allows me to get the tower very close to the steering wheel in the tilted up position which gives you the lowest possible height.

Last edited:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You may want to build a wooden support so you don't indent steering wheel or warp windshield over time just to give a 1" gap maybe? I just know a constant weight and heat even in a garage over time could cause an issue.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you got it in? That's awesome. Congrats.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You may want to build a wooden support so you don't indent steering wheel or warp windshield over time just to give a 1" gap maybe? I just know a constant weight and heat even in a garage over time could cause an issue.
Yup already in the plans for tomorrow! ;)

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Get that plastic off! The water is calling.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Get that plastic off! The water is calling.
That what I'm sayin!! The only reason mine didn't go straight to the lake on the tow from the dealer is the 2 feet of ice on all the lakes by me at the time.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
lol I had bigger issues to worry about at first than dealing with removing all the plastic. You know, like trying to get it in the garage haha. It was a HUGE sigh of relief! Now I can relax and get to know her one on one. Already been in her bowels removing tower shit so we are getting to know each other right off the bat lol. I did not think my big butt could squeeze in the rear storage to remove the washers but it's actually pretty large in there. Yamaha did good!

Now that it's cooled off tonight I'm just chilling in the boat reading the manual. Already watched the DVD to get accustomed to the boat. Taking it to the lake tomorrow I think!

Bedlamfirm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So glad I found this. My wife has been pissed cause I swore to her I could get it in the garage. That's why she allowed me to buy it. We get it home and my father in law laughs at me and says no way. I didn't even bother to investigate like you did. But so happy I found this. Just showed her your video. Looks like I'm moving it home. Saves me from having to move to a non HOA community.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you extend the cables to allow them to catch the tower in that position?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can you extend the cables to allow them to catch the tower in that position?
I suppose you could buy a female threaded adapter, thread it on the cable and then make a longer threaded male end cable to put the washers and nut on at the end. I don't think the cable itself can be extended without either welding something longer on (not a good idea around fiberglass or carpet lol) or using an adapter and separate cable piece. Then it would be just a matter of finding the right length to stop it just before touching the glass, I'm not even sure I would have the clearance if I did that. Next time I pull it out of the garage I'll see just how high off the glass I can/or can't make it still fit in the garage.

It's a shame the tower makers or Yamaha just didn't give us a longer threaded cable to begin with. That way the customer can drop it lower if needed. In the mean time I'll just use my plastic car ramps to keep it off the glass and steering wheel.

Last edited:

Bedlamfirm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I'm sitting and relaxing. So relieved now I have it in my garage. Next up...boat buckles delivered yesterday.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm sitting and relaxing. So relieved now I have it in my garage. Next up...boat buckles delivered yesterday.
You will love the boat buckles. So glad I got them over the horrible stock strap.

Glad you got your boat in the garage. Nothing like that piece of mind and being able to do some garage boating any time you want! BTW I keep forgetting to source the hardware needed to extend the threaded section of the cable. I'll get around to it in the off season but that way you can set the tower to get real low and still use the stop washers so you won't have to use a fixture or steering wheel to hold the tower. I'll update this thread with the hardware I find and use for the mod.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm pretty jealous of you boys with the new arch tower and the ease of lowering it compared to the old over-the-windshield type like I have.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
  1. I rode in @haknslash 's boat over the weekend and I was shocked at how much quieter it was straight from the factory. I think mine is as quiet, but I've done a little work. They have definitely made some improvement on that front. Different exhaust note as well. Really interesting.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
  1. I rode in @haknslash 's boat over the weekend and I was shocked at how much quieter it was straight from the factory. I think mine is as quiet, but I've done a little work. They have definitely made some improvement on that front. Different exhaust note as well. Really interesting.
Any ideas on what Yamaha did to the new boats? I'm wondering if it's something easily reproduced.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
No idea. I think @haknslash is coming to an Alabama members meeting at Lake Martin next month. Maybe I'll get a chance to "look under the hood" while I'm there. I imagine it's simply sealed gaps where the different sections of the fiberglass fit-out meet. I'll report back if I find something repeatable.