• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to install temperature gauges and senders for engine temps

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wanted a way to monitor the temperature of each engine on my boat (2013 212x, 1.8l HO engines). In stock form, you will get an overheat warning in the multi-function display (tach) when there is a problem, but you will get no warning before that, and you will get no actual temperature reading. I wanted more than that, as my lake can be a bit weedy sometimes. So I decided to install temperature senders in the cooling outlet lines (aka "the pissers"), and accompanying gauges in the dash. There's more than one way to skin the cat here, but I'll detail the method I chose. The most difficult part of this install may be figuring out where to install gauges if your dash is stock. There are also temperature senders with external digital gauges available, which would also work. So take this write-up as more of a general direction with some important specifics, rather than a "you must do it this way", as your specific situation will very likely be different. On to the details.

In my boat (and I believe many, if not all others) the outlet lines are 1/2" hose. Most temperature senders are 1/8" NPT. So the overall goal is to get a T fitting that can be installed into the hose when cut, which has a female 1/8" NPT fitting for temp sender installation. There's a lot of ways you could accomplish this. There are even "ready-made" units like this one Amazon Link that might be very simple, especially if you're planning to use an external display. I did not find one for 1/2" hose, but I bet it exists, or you could reduce it down to make it work. I had brass fittings laying around, so this is the method I chose. This also opens up your temperature sender options, to include those which require an "engine block ground", as you can ground the brass fittings by simply adding a ground wire. This "T" could also be constructed with plastic, for probably much cheaper, but if you go that route, you'll need a temperature sender with a ground wire attached already. The parts listed below are for one engine only. Simply double it for twin engines.

Parts list:
1x Brass Tee, 1/2" NPT female: Amazon Link
2x Brass hose fitting adapter, 1/2" barb x 1/2" NPT male: Amazon Link
1x Brass 1/2" NPT Male to 1/8" NPT female reducing bushing: Amazon Link
1x 2" temperature gauge: The first one I purchased is here Amazon Link. This one looked good, and worked, but did not read lower than 100 degrees, so it looked broken most of the time. The second one I purchased (the one in the pics) is here. Amazon Link. The second one reads 68-302F and INCLUDES a temp sender, that also has an exposed ground wire, so a plastic "T" fitting could be used.
1x Temperature sender (MUST match the gauge): The first one I purchased is here. Amazon Link. The second one was included with the second gauge, here. Amazon Link

Once you have the correct parts, installation is very straightforward. Assemble the "T" as in the pics below. Cut your coolant outlet hose, and insert the "T". I cut the hoses between the engine output and the "pisser" fittings. My hoses were easily accessible just under the forward lip of the engine hatch, before the hoses pass into the starboard side storage compartment, just above the air filter box. Connect a ground wire to your brass "T" if required, and run a sender wire from the temp sender up to the dash. The gauge you purchase will have a wiring diagram that you should follow, but its basically +12V, -12V, and the wire from the sender. There will also be a +12V for whatever light the gauge has, and nicer gauges will have a "dimming" connection which you can wire to the output of your nav light, so that when you turn your nav light on, the gauge lights will either change from on to off, or dim from bright to less bright, depending on your gauge. There are 3 pics below. One of the completed "T", one of the installed "T", and one of the installed gauges. Hopefully, this is enough info for you to complete your version of this project if you decided to do so, but I'm happy to answer any additional questions if I can.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottie this is beautiful!

And as you mentioned in the other thread, those gauges confirm cooling is more efficient (implying higher colling water pressure passing through cooling passages) at WOT than at idle.
Very important to run those engines above idle to cool off!

--

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Scottie very well done and thanks for the thorough write up. Since you boat on a lake, the answer is probably no, but curious if you have used your real-time water passage temperature monitor while running the boat on a hose (common for me due to saltwater usage). The cooling water is 104-ish degrees while running the boat 27.5mph ... curios what the temps are when flushing the boat at idle and on a hose. Sorry for the hijack.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottie very well done and thanks for the thorough write up. Since you boat on a lake, the answer is probably no, but curious if you have used your real-time water passage temperature monitor while running the boat on a hose (common for me due to saltwater usage). The cooling water is 104-ish degrees while running the boat 27.5mph ... curios what the temps are when flushing the boat at idle and on a hose. Sorry for the hijack.
One thing is for sure: cooling at idle is not great due to low cooling water pressure.
On a hose (or in the water at idle) cooling water is hot coming out of the pissers, if it comes out at all. This is also confirmed here by @Scottie.

This thread is a bit of an eye-opener as far as flushing procedures, too.
Boating in salt I would probably install intake valves to help push more water into cooling passages (when flushing on a hose).
And flush religiously w/copious amounts of Salt-Away.

As far as I know, increasing RPM will not increase the flow on a hose even with intake valves closed (if present), right? I would think only pump intake pressure changes that, in an RPM dependent fashion, and that should not matter on a hose.

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have just added the tow valves and I can state they help when closed on the hose, even when outside the water. When flushing now with good pressure I get strong flow from both "water indicators" if I increase to slightly above idle. even at idle the stream is strong and immediate, which was not the case before.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have not tested this. My boat is on a lift, in freshwater, so I never flush really. I would expect temps to be higher than when running, due to the lack of flow on the hose. As @swatski has mentioned above, cooling water volume is much greater when water is being forced into engines by the impellers, from an unlimited source, than a hosepipe could ever achieve. Less water means less cooling means higher temps. I think the biggest take away from all of this, that people may not know or realize, is how this cooling setup is affected when surfing. Everyone seems to be surfing now or trying to, and those runs are usually at +7k rpm, depending on boat load. There are also frequent stops due to rider pickups and swaps. While I really don't think you can do any harm assuming all systems are normal, a cool-down run before putting the boat away seems like a good idea. If you have a way to monitor the temps, you will definitely see temps rise if you drop from high rpm to idle, or shut the motors down completely.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Saw this on amazon. Has dual temp gauge so you can do what @Scottie has outlined for us above but with a single 2" gauge.
Also comes with 2 temp senders.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottie as far as you know, is that temperature you show on your gauges for water farenheit or celcius? 100? Hoping for farenheit... Thanks again for your insight on this!!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have a way to monitor the temps, you will definitely see temps rise if you drop from high rpm to idle, or shut the motors down completely.
No question that is correct!!

I always idle in “no wake” high idle and run the blower between surf sessions. The pisser streams are scalding hot.

Now, if you could only figure out how to make the surf side engine restart with no issues every time after a stop!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have just added the tow valves and I can state they help when closed on the hose, even when outside the water. When flushing now with good pressure I get strong flow from both "water indicators" if I increase to slightly above idle. even at idle the stream is strong and immediate, which was not the case before.
Those valves should be a must have for flushing in salt!

What I want to know - are pisser streams/pressure higher at higher RPM on a hose? That would indicate there is something else in the engine cooling system that’s moving water.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pressure is not higher, but the thermostat opens at higher rpms to allow water to the other path that feeds the second set of pissers, is my theory.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pressure is not higher, but the thermostat opens at higher rpms to allow water to the other path that feeds the second set of pissers, is my theory.
Duh!!

Brilliant. Thank you. So makes sense.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But that also implies flushing at idle only does not get fresh water/Salt-Away everywhere equally. Interesting!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Between his awesome thread on bearing replacement, testing the 6CW impellers, and now this brilliant thread - can we nominate @Scottie for the jetboaters.net MVP Award this season??!!

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Hmmmmm??? Not following this logic. For one, my boat only has one set of pissers (1.8s). And also, this information doesn't track with anything I know about thermostats. Thermostats to my knowledge only open as result of temperature. Yes the higher rpms will cause the thermostats to open sooner because the engine will heat up faster but this doesn't solve anything, the engine and the water temp will still be the same temperature no matter how fast or slow it heats up. Please don't take this me being a dick but it just doesn't make sense to me and if I'm missing something here I'd like to know. I've thought about this and about the cooling system on my 1.8s and I don't see how higher rpms on the hose will have any affect on cooling and/or pressure one way or another in the end.

Edit: hmmmm?? (again) - if you have a second set of pissers that only are available when the thermostat is open, I guess in that case I could see the higher rpms causing the thermostat to heat up and open up faster giving you water to the second set of pissers sooner. So in the end you get water flushed to that area quicker - I still don't see how this would cause more pressure or more cooling but I can see how it would speed up the flush process (not knowing how the second set up pissers is involved as my engines don't have those).

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've thought about this and about the cooling system on my 1.8s and I don't see how higher rpms on the hose will have any affect on cooling one way or another in the end.
I think you answered your own question, no?
Here:
Yes the higher rpms will cause the thermostats to open sooner because the engine will heat up faster
This is very important as a corollary of this finding is - flushing on a hose may not be flushing parts of the cooling system at all if operating temperatures are not reached.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I think you answered your own question, no?
Here:

This is very important as a corollary of this finding is - flushing on a hose may not be flushing parts of the cooling system at all if operating temperatures are not reached.

Yep - I edited my post at the same time you posted this - makes sense in that regard.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Scottie as far as you know, is that temperature you show on your gauges for water farenheit or celcius? 100? Hoping for farenheit... Thanks again for your insight on this!!!
Farenheit!

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Between his awesome thread on bearing replacement, testing the 6CW impellers, and now this brilliant thread - can we nominate @Scottie for the jetboaters.net MVP Award this season??!!

Thanks for that! I'm just happy to contribute. I've taken SO MUCH from this group, feels like the least I can do.