• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to secure transom Fat Sac? Pics please.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Had a blast surfing this weekend, I now understand the obsession with it! However yesterdays session was a forced end due to the transom fat sac (bag made for the transom steps) fell off the boat. I had used a ratchet strap, cleat to cleat, but obviously it wasn't enough. Day before I used a docking line and we had no issues, but I hated tying it off.

How do you guys secure that big mama jamma, and if you could provide pics it would be really appreciated! Btw, if your bag falls off the boat, don't attempt to drag it it to shore, just hang onto it in the water and put the pump on.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You need to fill the bag to the point it starts to swell. If there is any room for water to slosh around you will have that issue. Burp the bag of all air, and keep filling until you see it start to grow.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks @jcyamaharider - I didn't go all the way this time because it was starting to lean off the back. In hind sight though, should've bricked it all the way.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here are some picture examples from some customers.
They used rachet straps but the same thing can be done with your docking lines

20200616_192904.jpg

20200616_192706.jpg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would personally use ropes.

Here is ours:

20200613_100114.jpg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Awesome, thank you!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Follow-up - in regards to the Tsunami pump:
1) Can you add an extension to the pump to give it a foot or so of clearance so that draining a ski locker bag doesn't require someone to lay down and press on it?

2) Would there be any reason a person could make a "Y" connector for the pump and fill both bags at the same time?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The pump should lock onto the bag and should pump without putting any pressure onto the bag. Make sure the pump is primed.

It will still take the same amount of time to fill the bags. Better to buy another pump.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and if you bag falls off the boat, if you have an air pump, you can pump air into it to push the water out, I had this unfortunate experience as I was draining the bag, luckily I had @capt on board to advise us on using brains over brawn,,

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Last time out, I used one of these (but in blue).

I think this is going to be my new go to, this season.

Goes through the center of the cleat, through the top set of handles, down through the grab handle (as shown in the "sample" pic above), back through the lower handles and back to the end of the strap which is fed through the buckle. Then pull snug. 12' strap -> ends up with about only 6-8" of strap dangling. I like this over the ratchet as it's not as bulky and feels less likely to puncture anything. And, better than the rope because you just tug on it to tighten instead of trying to straddle the damn thing and tighten the rope at the cleat without falling in the water. I'm a big guy with long arms and legs... I have no idea how short guys manage it without sitting on the bag.

If I think about it next week, I'll try to take a pic.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Attachments

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Best advice I ever got on these bags was to first fill it with air, and get it placed perfectly while you can move it. Then tie it down I love the lashing straps btw, no hooks to scratch) When filling it, you constantly purge the air out while it fills, always keeping the bag at full capacity and in place.

This really allows you to fill it to it's fullest, and avoid slosh.

Good luck!

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I use a cargo strap attached to the tower. Even without the straps, I doubt the sac would move.

By placing the 650lb bag in the middle, I can swap the WakeBooster (WakeEnhancer in Canada!) and the 200lb bag to ride the other side.
Be careful with this method. You want your straps to be holding the bag, not really applying force on the handles themselves. I don't really know how the handles are sewn into the bag, but I try to use the handles more as guides to keep the straps/rope in place... not to actually pull against.

I believe one person did pull the handles off using this method (or something similar). I forget the specifics of that issue.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
You're right, I normally strap across the lower handles. However, I did try 1 run with the bag unsecured and nothing moved. The straps normally left a little loose.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
While we are talking about the transom bag.... @jcyamaharider I need a way to make the quick release cap on the bag stay put better. It came off again the other day and started draining, as we were getting ready to take off.

Is there a new O-ring that I need to get, or some other trick to make that a little more difficult to twist.... but still be usable?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We can look at different o-rings, or try putting some Vaseline on the o-ring to make it a little harder to move?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Best advice I ever got on these bags was to first fill it with air, and get it placed perfectly while you can move it. Then tie it down I love the lashing straps btw, no hooks to scratch) When filling it, you constantly purge the air out while it fills, always keeping the bag at full capacity and in place.

This really allows you to fill it to it's fullest, and avoid slosh.

Good luck!
Have you noticed that the air valve doesn't seem to have enough flow to really purge the air out? I felt like mine was always ballooning.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have you noticed that the air valve doesn't seem to have enough flow to really purge the air out? I felt like mine was always ballooning.
I took a drill and drilled through the hole in the vent cap through to the other side. So, the cap now lets air out both sides instead of just the one tiny hole. Seems to have helped that a bit.