• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Hull concern

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Started spring cleaning and noticed the bottom of my AR240 had some paint missing. I’m unsure if it’s just paint or it’s the gel coat or if I should be concerned. Would like to fix it somehow if possible, any tips are appreciated.
Boat is a 2019 with over 300 hours so it gets used a ton. Is there any product out there that can get painted on and then just detail the bottom after to blend it

Attachments

• E9436D51-2731-48F2-8A82-B9B5E1E1032C.jpeg
    E9436D51-2731-48F2-8A82-B9B5E1E1032C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 165
  • 235FF09D-AC82-4AAA-9BA7-E37B7BDE80E4.jpeg
    235FF09D-AC82-4AAA-9BA7-E37B7BDE80E4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 169
  • 9B7628A0-714E-4FDA-A7D8-3A4D8BF61EAD.jpeg
    9B7628A0-714E-4FDA-A7D8-3A4D8BF61EAD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 169
You may be able to clean and dry the keel before slapping a keel guard on it but personally I would take that to a boat repair shop and get their opinion (especially on the damage to the corner/side of the hull). Hopefully Others here with experience in fiberglass repair will chime in.

You may be able to clean and dry the keel before slapping a keel guard on it but personally I would take that to a boat repair shop and get their opinion (especially on the damage to the corner/side of the hull). Hopefully Others here with experience in fiberglass repair will chime in.

thanks yeah I thought about the keel guard but didn’t want to put lipstick on a pig if there was a better way. I’d also prefer not to take it to the fiberglass shop if I don’t have too. The guy around me is usually Super backed up

That's down to the fiberglass so you'll have to do a gel coat repair. There are plenty of videos out there to show you how to make this repair. You can do it yourself easy enough and then just put a keel guard on for future protection.

That's down to the fiberglass so you'll have to do a gel coat repair. There are plenty of videos out there to show you how to make this repair. You can do it yourself easy enough and then just put a keel guard on for future protection.

He's right on this one. That glass has got to be sealed up with gel cote no matter what you choose to do after. That being said, since it's on the bottom and only you will see it, or you are covering it with a keel guard, you can do the work yourself and botch it up all you want. Sealing it is priority, as your fiberglass will get wet and rot.

It looks like you or the previous owner loves to beach this boat. So a keel guard is required. They don't hurt performance, and you can color match it. Most MFG's will send out color samples. I have installed 3 and putting on my 4th this spring. Easy job.

Good luck!

Def get a shop to fix then keelguard.

While that is going on, figure out what is causing this.

Hull condition has a lot of scratches and looks like you beach it a lot. Definitely get it sorted and use a keel guard if you’re going to beach.

Hull condition has a lot of scratches and looks like you beach it a lot. Definitely get it sorted and use a keel guard if you’re going to beach.

Amen. and dip that trailer before loading! It's very obvious the carpeted bunks have tons of sand in them. Those scratches can be avoided. Sand in the bunks is usually caused by a couple things. Lots of wind in a sandy parking lot. or using power to load/offload causing the sand on the landing to be stirred up. And into the bunks just to scratch up the hull.

Definitely get the gelcoat repaired before putting on a keel guard. If water gets in under the keel guard and into the fiberglass...BIG issue

Someone did some SERIOUS beaching with this boat! Triple dittos on the Keel Guard!!!! I dont think it is an easy/quick fix. Alot of damage to the hull surface above and beyond the keel. Looks like your trailer bunks have sandpaper on them. I dont think anything you can buy OTC can easily and quickly repair all that damage. I dont ever beach my boat but still have the keel guard. Its cheap insurance, and they guarantee it. You can do it yourself....a bit of a chore, but not bad at all. As for the fiberglass....yea, it needs to be fixed. If You can probably do the keel yourself, especially if you put on the Keel Guard, so you dont have to worry about perfection looks. I think I would take it to a fiberglass place though and let them look at it to be sure that there is no water damage to the fiberglass itself. The damage to the sides though, I would not risk it. Get a professional. Its the old pay now.....or pay later.

Last edited:
Just as a reference.....200 hours....no beaching

Attachments

• 20220328_104000 - Copy.jpg
    20220328_104000 - Copy.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 98
  • 20220328_104045 - Copy.jpg
    20220328_104045 - Copy.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 93
I concur with above, Get the gelcoat restored to original and put a keel guard on it. Keep it off the beach/sandbar. Do not just put a keel guard over it. Makes me shy of any future used boat purchase, of mine, with a keel guard installed. A lot of deep perimeter linear scratches that will need to be wet sanded and buffed out. This is not just a touch up.

Just as a reference.....200 hours....no beaching
Lake Livingston- we’re up there quite a bit. We bought a lot in cape royal recently. Just gotta know where the stumps are there

I'm a big advocate for do it yourself.... I would in this case consider farming this out, or at least getting a quote. If you leave this un-repaired for a long time it could compromise the hull. I am not 100% certain, but It's a definite possibility.

If you could not wait I would consider some epoxy mix coverage before you get that wet, seeing how big it is. If I were desperate I would consider this:

but I'm cheap and adventurous, doesn't mean it's the right or best solution, but one I would feel much more comfortable with , over getting that raw hull wet.

Agree with all the people who previously said you would need to repair this. It is not too hard, but definitely necessary.... This would be one where I would pay a professional to do it right..... then I would buy a keel guard and hopefully never have to deal with this one again. Good luck!

Lake Livingston- we’re up there quite a bit. We bought a lot in cape royal recently. Just gotta know where the stumps are there
We are on the other side.... Beacon Bay area. Hang out at Pine Island at time on the weekend.

thanks yeah I thought about the keel guard but didn’t want to put lipstick on a pig if there was a better way. I’d also prefer not to take it to the fiberglass shop if I don’t have too. The guy around me is usually Super backed up
As others said, that scrape is down to the fiberglass - you need to get it fixed to make it waterproof again. Those scratches by the bunks looks like it's from dry power loading where the bunks are dirty and not wet first? Dunk that trailer deep enough to wet the entire bunk surface and it'll help a lot.

Yeh. Yeh have to get the professionals fixed then put a keel guard on it to prevent the issue from reoccurring. Haven’t read all posts above, but this is from beaching it often.

No worrries. Just fix it.

Back