• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

hull scratches paint or gelcoat?

krokokid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Everyone
Without noticing the last 2 times we beached our AR190 it got pretty scratched up.
I am actually wondering if the outside of the boat is paint or a gel coat? Can somebody explain what the different layers are? Is the outside of the boat paint?

Needles to say that I need a keel guard. I am wondering if I need/should fix the damage before applying a keel guard?
Appreciate the help!

Attachments

wpm1960

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Clean it up by sanding with fine grit sandpaper and cover with keel guard. Might have to fill any deeper gouges with gel coat but doesn't have to look pretty, just be even. Once you cover you will not see most or any of the scratches.

Clovisite23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Everyone
Without noticing the last 2 times we beached our AR190 it got pretty scratched up.
I am actually wondering if the outside of the boat is paint or a gel coat? Can somebody explain what the different layers are? Is the outside of the boat paint?

Needles to say that I need a keel guard. I am wondering if I need/should fix the damage before applying a keel guard?
Appreciate the help!
I did the same thing and am in process of trying to fix it

SoxFan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
At the start of this season I filled in a couple of the deeper scrapes with gel coat then installed a Keelguard. Works great.
A word of advise, when ordering the Keelguard, get it a foot or two longer than you planned - you won’t regret it.