• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hull vs Liner bilge drawing AR 190 (2014)

Cliff Sadler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an AR190 that we rescued from a total loss during Irma in 2017. It is now a full time salt water boat on the West Coast of Florida, stored on a lift, but in the water for up to a week at a time. Covered, but when sitting in the water it generally isn't, and in the summer that means deluge of rain water every day at 2 pm.
I won't go into the discussion of the questionable bilge pump design, I know it first hand.
Here's the question. The factory Automatic bilge pump sits in a cavity 2-3" below the engine room liner. The drain plugs at the back of the boat sit much lower than that. I have looked around at the rear bulkhead of the engine compartment where the drive assembly exits the engine room and into the bilge cavity around the clean out tube and exhaust system are. Is there a direct opening from the cavity beneath the engine room to the aft bilge area, or does it actually flow forward and somehow make its way to the cavity under the ski locker, which may or may not make it to the lower bilge at the transom?
I put the boat on the lift, removed the plugs at the rear of the boat, and 2 days later, there is still standing water in the cavity below the engine room liner where the bilge pump is. I am not sure there is a single point of water collection on this boat. It seems more like there is one area under the engine that is managed by the bilge pump, and another that is managed by the removal of the transom plugs.
Does anyone have an honest to God drawing of the hull and liner for this line of boats? If I can't find one, I'm going to start putting dye colored water into the various places that we always find too much water after a rain, or run, and document it.
This is the closest thing I could find for an exploded drawing, but it is woefully inadequate for this analysis.
ar190 drain diagram.PNG

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You need to get the bow of the boat up to drain. The area under the ski locker is the lowest part of the bilge. If you are seing water under the motor, around the hole for the bilge pump, you will also see it looking in the ski locker drain. Make sure all the engine bay internal plugs are open. Getting the bow up will send it to the bilge drain. You can adjust the lift or while you are out on the water, get the boat up to a speed just before you get on plane when the bow is the highest, maintain that speed/angle and make sure your bilge pump is on. You will see water being pumped out the bilge pump thru hull.

Last edited:

Cliff Sadler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand everything you said. The bow portion of the lift is at about a 30 degree angle, so it's not on it's tail, but it is substantially higher than even on the trailer.
The reason for my question was that the ski locker was bone dry after being on the lift, yet there is still water in the engine liner cavity. I fully expected that place to be dry as well when I went to replace the bilge pump while on the lift. That is what is leading to my thinking that the boat has to be level so that engine bilge water area can drain to the lower bilge under the ski locker, and then ultimately to the aft bilge where the drain plugs are. This boat was definitely designed to be a day runner, and not sit idle in water for any period of time. Jet Ski mentality.
BTW, that's my son and his wife in the avatar pic. I am an Engineer for decades, and lifelong boater.

Cliff Sadler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For one of my other boats, I was able to get the engineering drawings of the stringers, bilge assembly drawings, flooring and other various parts of the vessel.
Sea Ray was pretty forthcoming with that info. Not sure Yamaha will be as accommodating.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The ski locker can be dry and you will have water below it. Look in the drain with a light or stick a wooden stick or similar dip stick down in there to check water level.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It may sound funny, but if you can, while on the lift, put a level on the bottom of the hull to check the pitch of the of the boat's true bilge for it's ability to drain all the water out.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would agree with the others - there seems to be a "low spot" in the area below the ski locker. At the end of a day on the water I'll unplug my transom plug with the boat on the trailer and leave it unplugged all the way home. It will drain in the following ways:

1) Immediately on the trailer it will dump water out until "empty."
2) Then, anytime I accelerate from a stop on the way home, I'll see a trail of water behind me on the pavement from the plug.
3) Finally at home, I'll jack the boat up from the tongue and even more water will come out.

Concerning the bilge pump, this pump is only good for making sure water isn't pooling in the engine area. I've considered installing a secondary pump in the water box/cleanout port area, but I'm not sure how to plumb it out.

Cliff Sadler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, since the low spot is really in the front of the boat under the ski locker, I'd tend to want to put something there. Not sure if there would be enough gap between the liner and the hull to get a discharge line up to the proper height on the side of the hull.
More poking around needed, I guess.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, since the low spot is really in the front of the boat under the ski locker, I'd tend to want to put something there. Not sure if there would be enough gap between the liner and the hull to get a discharge line up to the proper height on the side of the hull.
More poking around needed, I guess.
What's even more fun.....Put the plug in the ski locker then go out for the day. At the end of the day, the locker will have water in it again. Best I can tell the anchor locker drains to the ski locker (which now has a plug in it to keep water from coming UP through the drain from elsewhere in the boat). The anchor locker also has no "gutter" around it, so any water that gets in/on/near that center front seat goes into the anchor compartment, and then into the ski locker.

Was stuck in the rain for 4hrs a few years ago. Ended up with over 2ft of water in the ski locker. It won't drain to the rear of the boat unless you can get the bow up, so the bilge pump is no help.

My '98 Rinker was ALWAYS dry at the end of the day. Not a drop from the bilge. My Yamaha leaks like a large sieve. I've gotten used to it, and just check the bilge pump often. I spent 4 seasons losing my mind of where the hell the water was coming from. I've given up and just assume there will be water inside the boat at the end of the day. Kind of stupid to think that a boat lets water in (or in my case purposefully pumps it in), but I've run out of craps to give and it just is what it is.

These are definitely designed/built with a JetSki mentality of not sitting IN the water for long periods of time. The good news is they still float with a significant amount of water in them, and most of the wood is encapsulated in fiberglass, so it doesn't really hurt anything except performance.