• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hydro locked engine. Getting the run around from the dealer.

Jclax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Bought a 2018 210 FSH Deluxe, this is my first jet boat, I’ve owned outboards in the past. Got the C delivery: C your boat, C your keys, C you later. During the sea test, the sales guy smoked a cigarette and ashed all over my deck. I asked, “What do I need to know about a jet boat that is different from an out board?” Got no real info, so when I went to flush the motors, I turned the water on first before I started the engine and hydro locked it. Dealer has given me the “we’re working on it” and “didn’t you read the manual” for 5 days, GM won’t call me back, can’t get service to call me back. Tired of chasing these guys. They are telling me I will need a new engine, how likely is that since the boat was never run, just tried to start it? I’ve rebuilt engines and transmissions in my garage, seems like a rebuilt top end would fix this. Or is there something I don’t know? If anyone has experience with a similar issue please let me know.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm curious about how long the hose was turned on and what your psi for water at your house is before you attempted to start the engine.

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If the eng was never run, I doubt it would need a new one. I’d start by pulling plugs crank it over to eject the water and change the oil. Good place to start at least.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My engine hydrolocked too but while I was in the water. Stopped main to use troller and hydrolocked when restarted main. Saw pics of damage and it was ugly. They mentioned I wasnt the first so think there may have been a sealing issue to the engine compartment. Rebuilt under warranty but they kept my boat for about 8 months to do it. My first season was a bust. Same problem but different cause. I hear what you are saying and empathize with your situation but not sure the dealer is accountable to teach you about jet boats. Good luck with it. I have negotiated with dealers in the past and sometimes they will split cost, only charge you labour, give you parts at cost etc. give those a try.

SgtBFGunner

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've heard of boats overheating, owners shutting down the motor to let it cool off and the thing sucks water into the engine and it hydrolocks. Supposedly you have to let the motor run a little before shutting it off... Crazy.
If you get towed in a bit too fast (over 5 mph?), same thing can happen. Hydrolock. Crazy.
If you accidentally screw up the flushing order of engine, water, water, engine, you get hydrolock. Crazy.
Wondering about all that rainwater that builds up in the bilge when the auto bilge pump doesn't "auto".

For a "bulletproof marine specific engine", I'm kind of worried and wonder how everyone doesn't trash their engines at one point or another.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've heard of boats overheating, owners shutting down the motor to let it cool off and the thing sucks water into the engine and it hydrolocks. Supposedly you have to let the motor run a little before shutting it off... Crazy.
If you get towed in a bit too fast (over 5 mph?), same thing can happen. Hydrolock. Crazy.
If you accidentally screw up the flushing order of engine, water, water, engine, you get hydrolock. Crazy.
Wondering about all that rainwater that builds up in the bilge when the auto bilge pump doesn't "auto".

For a "bulletproof marine specific engine", I'm kind of worried and wonder how everyone doesn't trash their engines at one point or another.
Hmm.... How many hydrolocked 1.8 engines have we heard of due to running them on a hose in a wrong sequence? 2-3 total? Unfortunate as those cases are, it is a very clearly stated procedure in all owner manuals for these boats.
Never heard of overheating 1.8 engines hydrolocking due to the engine shutoff... That is bizzare.
Water ingestion - due to accumulation int he bilge? Well, I don't know of many owners starting their engines with water level in the engine bay up to the intakes...

--

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My engine hydrolocked too but while I was in the water. Stopped main to use troller and hydrolocked when restarted main. Saw pics of damage and it was ugly. They mentioned I wasnt the first so think there may have been a sealing issue to the engine compartment. Rebuilt under warranty but they kept my boat for about 8 months to do it. My first season was a bust. Same problem but different cause. I hear what you are saying and empathize with your situation but not sure the dealer is accountable to teach you about jet boats. Good luck with it. I have negotiated with dealers in the past and sometimes they will split cost, only charge you labour, give you parts at cost etc. give those a try.
Come on, of course the dealer should explain to the buyer how the flush any boat to include a jet boat, they do it for 7500.00 jet skis, of course they should do it for a 47000.00 boat, really?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jclax so sorry to hear about your issues. What a terrible way to start with a new boat. How long did the hydrolocked engine sit with water in it before any action was taken to fix it? I would think that if proper attention was immediately taken to clean out the cylinders, drain and fill the oil a few times within a few hours of the incident you’d be back up and running. But water sitting in any engine for an extended period of time would be a death sentence regardless of what engine it is. Hopefully you got immediate attention to it. Good luck with the repair.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If they did not pull the plugs turn it over and then put a little Atf or oil in it right away they are just waiting for it to corrode so they can rebuild or replace it. I have pulled motors from the bottom of a canal, flushed them out got them lubed up and they ran for 10 years after. But you have to do it right away. That was salt water also.

Jclax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Spoke with the GM Saturday, let him know my background as the GM for the largest consumer lease company in the nation and that our commercial division spent $30mil last year buying Yamaha heavy equipment, and that I haven’t called anyone at Yamaha yet, because I am giving him a chance to help rectify the situation. Assured him that, while I am unsure who I can call, I am sure that I have to ability and stroke to bend the ear of someone important. I don’t enjoy using that particular tactic, however when one of my agents didn’t tell a clients wife that her Land Rover was a diesel, my company accepted fault and I signed off on a $27,000 engine paid for by us. Other Yamaha dealers have told me that they repeat the flush process again and again to their customers. The GM admitted the delivery greatly contributed to this issue and they are working toward a solution with Yamaha on Monday. I’ll update you all then.

Jclax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm curious about how long the hose was turned on and what your psi for water at your house is before you attempted to start the engine.
No more than a couple of minutes. I have pretty strong water pressure.

Jclax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For the record, for the 11.9 hours I ran the boat, it was freaking awesome. Hole shot like a scalded monkey on meth. Ran out 23 miles in 1-2 footers at 35mph 6500rpm with a ful tank and 4 adults. Handled the waves so well I kicked back and steered with my foot. Spent 15 hours on the water and still had 10% fuel left when I got back. Caught snappers, Spanish mackril, and a bonnet head shark. Love the boat. I dislike my dealer right now, might turn to love or hate. Depends on what happens tomorrow.

SgtBFGunner

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
They say how big the pot was to split? Ouch. I'm sure they are not paying "their" half, maybe Yamaha...
Still can't believe how easy it is to hydrolock. You'd think there would be a safety mechanism preventing such costly mishaps.
When flushing the engine today, I started to open the clean out hatch and the engine immediately shut off. Water still running. Faster than a speeding bullet I jumped back in the boat and started it back up, which was going to be faster than fiddling with the water.
Don't know how long it takes to start flooding the cylinders.
Good luck Jclax, hoping it all works out for you.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Dealer has offered a 50/50 split.
Depends on how much of a fight you want to put up....but I wouldn’t accept that. However, it may be more of a hassle than it’s worth. Gotta weigh the pros/cons

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They say how big the pot was to split? Ouch. I'm sure they are not paying "their" half, maybe Yamaha...
Still can't believe how easy it is to hydrolock. You'd think there would be a safety mechanism preventing such costly mishaps.
When flushing the engine today, I started to open the clean out hatch and the engine immediately shut off. Water still running. Faster than a speeding bullet I jumped back in the boat and started it back up, which was going to be faster than fiddling with the water.
Huh! I never thought of that scenario with the cleanout hatch...
Safety mechanism would be nice perhaps but would inevitably add complexity and, with it, some new issues. Even the closed loop engine cooling system in BRP boats is not fool-proof as the exhaust cooling is still raw water... Not too mention that's part of an issue with (BRP boats) carbon seal frying.

Very unfortunate as the @Jclax situation, I still think the Yamaha offering 50% is generous (given no manufacturing defect contributing).

--

Jclax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Depends on how much of a fight you want to put up....but I wouldn’t accept that. However, it may be more of a hassle than it’s worth. Gotta weigh the pros/cons
I’m going to fight to get more.

Jclax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I assure you it doesn’t take long. My water pressure is high and it was a matter of a few minutes.

Rafe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think yor engine cracked or exhaust water licking problem like other members in this website before Hydrolock engine..... yamaha fault maybe