• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HydroJet Pro EXPLAINED

HydroJet Pro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been reading that there is some confusion about how our product works.

We designed our system to provide effective steering at the most crucial times. At the same time, we did extensive testing to ensure we did not remove the jet boat feel and handling characteristics.

Here is how we did it:

Unlike propelled boats, jet boats require constant thrust for steering. The lower the thrust, the harder is to control. Because there is no keel, the boat spins around its center of mass. The further away the nozzles are from it, the bigger the moment and the easier the boat will turn.

The effectiveness of our fins is also dependent on the type of the flow across them. There’s 2 types of regimes when it comes to fluid flow:

·Laminar flow: where the motion of the particles of the fluid is very orderly with all particles moving in straight lines parallel. When an object is placed in laminar flow, it will disturb the particles in the flow. This will increase the pressure in front of said object and reduce it behind. In this case, the generated pressure difference will create a side force on our fins helping you turn your watercraft.

·Turbulent flow: is a flow regime where the particles are already disturbed, and are constantly sustaining a chaotic property changes. In other words, because the flow is already disturbed, the effect an object can have on it is very small. The more intense the turbulent flow that our fins will encounter, the less they will help you turn.

The effectiveness of the side force created by the fins is dictated by the amount of perpendicular area to the incoming flow. The more of the fin area that faces the flow, the bigger the exerted force will be, increasing the turning moment of your boat.

Effectiveness with regards to position and speed

Reverse

Because while on reverse the fins will always see laminar flow, they provide maximum effectiveness. In this position, the fins work essentially as individual rudders, increasing the handling immensely while backing.

Idle

At very slow speeds, < 2 knots, the flow over the fins is also entirely laminar, indicating a 100% effective area. Slow maneuvering will mostly occur at this range, and it is at this range that our fins perform at their best.

Forward

Between 3 and 6 knots, our fins are still observing laminar flow. It is in this range that boats operate in marinas, around anchored boats and while navigating through multiple PWC’s. The aided steering is still highly effective.

Above 6 knots, our fins begin allowing your jetboat to steer through the water using the natural thrust vectoring from the jets as the turbulent flow (drag bucket) increases behind the boat. The faster the boat moves the more turbulent the flow will be. For speeds higher than 10 knots the flow observed by the fins will be entirely turbulent and only the integrated thrust vectoring from your nozzle with turn your boat. At this stage, our system is completely out of the way, letting you experience the true jet boat feel without any training wheels or limitations.

Let me know if have any questions or comments! I'd be happy to explain our product further.

Last edited:

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What are knots? My boat measures mph bro!:Welcome:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

HydroJet Pro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for pointing it out!
To clarify, 1 knot = 1.15 mph.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So. . . . . how exactly do your fins differ from say Cobra and Thrust Vector Systems?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So. . . . . how exactly do your fins differ from say Cobra and Thrust Vector Systems?
They observe laminar flow.

Sorry, I couldn't resist... I've always been a teacher's pet. :oops:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They observe laminar flow.

Sorry, I couldn't resist... I've always been a teacher's pet. :oops:
Laminar Flow. . . . that explains everything.:winkingthumbsup"

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dude......you hard headed or something? These fins are measured in a more nautical unit of speed called knots and use really fancy scientific fluid terms!!!!! They must be better bro!:D

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dude......you hard headed or something? These fins are measured in a more nautical unit of speed called knots and use really fancy scientific fluid terms!!!!! They must be better bro!:D
Jarheads don't be so good with big type wordification. . . .

HydroJet Pro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unlike other systems we do not use a spring to lift the fins up at speed. To increase the durability and reliability of our system we connected our fins directly to the thrust lever. This enables the pilot to have better feedback while maneuvering at low speeds. By having a direct connection we also reduced the vibration on the actual nozzle, by being able to provide a sturdier system.
While doing our testing, we have also measured how the rate of turn between systems. All 3 systems, show very similar results on revers. However, our system did show a quicker response at idle and low throttle.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While doing our testing, we have also measured how the rate of turn between systems. All 3 systems, show very similar results on revers. However, our system did show a quicker response at idle and low throttle.
How exactly do you accomplish this? Is the surface area of you fin any bigger, or deeper in the water?

HydroJet Pro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Because our system generates almost no vibration, we were able to increase the area of the fins, making them more effective.
In addition, by having them in an up position at low throttle, we are able to more effectively redirect thrust from the nozzle while at the same time using all fin area to act as rudders.

I have also noticed the links to the pictures on the initial post were broken. I have fixed those. Please take a look, they might help visualizing the effect I am describing.

Please keep the questions coming. We want to make our product as clear as possible!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still don't understand how they can work any better. As soon as the throttle is moved out of idle the fins move up. Your pics show the fins down all the time. If they are up out of the flow of water below the hull how can they be effective? I guess we need a video comparing the brands side by side in the water.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can you post videos of the tests you did that prove your system turns faster at idle and slow no wake speeds? I assume you must have done something to prove your system given that you are entering a market with 2 well established products already in place. Sorry if this seems a little like the "shark tank", but I for one am a little skeptical that fins in a raised position will have a better rudder effect than fins below the boat. I also think your diagrams don't do a good job of visualizing laminar and turbulent flow. At a no wake speed, I agree that water flowing under the boat will be laminar, but almost immediately upon passing the transom this flow becomes turbulent. So you need as much surface area as possible in this flow to effect a turn. Which brings up another question-can you provide the square inches of surface area of your fins vs TVs and Cobras? I'm curious to know how much more surface area they have.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And anyway - don't know about you guys, but I'm ditching my Ultimates and fangs!

HydroJet Pro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you related to or affiliated with Brian Dorsett?
No. I do not know who Brian Dorsett is.

I still don't understand how they can work any better. As soon as the throttle is moved out of idle the fins move up. Your pics show the fins down all the time. If they are up out of the flow of water below the hull how can they be effective? I guess we need a video comparing the brands side by side in the water.
While our fins are up, they are entirely submerged. The diagram shows the flow for the fins on the "up" position. Because they are entirely submerged, and far enough away from the hull, all of their area is effective at lower speeds.

Courtesy of...?
We will be recording a comparison video soon. We also understand that you would like an "unbiased" shooting. So we would be glad to work with anyone wanting to try these out and review a full on comparison between our system and the competition. Simply email info@hydrojetpro.com if interested.