• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I have my starting battery and my deep cycle battery

Tiger J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
connected in parallel. Is this a bad thing? I always read to only connect “like” batteries.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you have a battery selector switch?
Two batteries without a means of isolating one from the other defeats the purpose.
If you are isolating them not good to have dislike batteries in parallel specially if your not isolating them at shore charging.

Tiger J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do you have a battery selector switch?
Two batteries without a means of isolating one from the other defeats the purpose.
If you are isolating them not good to have dislike batteries in parallel specially if your not isolating them at shore charging.

I haven’t been isolating them when charging. I know people say not to do this, but no one can tell me what actually happens.

I originally only had the one starter battery and it was powering everything.
I wanted to add the deep cycle for more amp hours for music/leds so I connected them in parallel.

Ps. Everything has been running and charging fine so far.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Different types of batteries store and give up electrons using different chemistry at different peak voltages and different rates. One battery will draw the electrons from the other weaking both through charge cycles. Even given two batteries of the same health the same will occur if in different states of health. Each battery only has so many charge cycles.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Different types of batteries store and give up electrons using different chemistry at different peak voltages and different rates. One battery will draw the electrons from the other weaking both through charge cycles. Even given two batteries of the same health the same will occur if in different states of health. Each battery only has so many charge cycles.
What he said ^^^^^^

In all seriousness get a 2 bank charger and minimum a perko battery switch and keep on rocking..

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What he said ^^^^^^

In all seriousness get a 2 bank charger and minimum a perko battery switch and keep on rocking..
2 bank chargernia fine but what happens when you are runing the engine ....!?

Tiger J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks Hector. Thats what I will do.

I just never knew if anyone else had any success breaking the "Like" battery rule.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What will actually happen is your deep cycle battery will last forever and you will shorten the life of the starting battery exponentially. By this I mean you may only get two years out of the starting battery instead of five years. The two batteries are constructed a little differently and also discharge and recharge at different rates. Nothing is going to explode or spontaneously combust, however it is best practice to isolate them.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While the deep cycle battery is not ideal for starting, I use it often for that purpose with no identified ill effects.

Run on one, switch as I arrive, return on both. Never use the onboard charger unless I make a mistake and leave something on discharging the system. Try to start opposite battery on each outing. So far has not failed me yet.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a starting battery I bought last year and my deep cycle battery is 7 years old.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While the deep cycle battery is not ideal for starting, I use it often for that purpose with no identified ill effects.
Honestly, I'd rather use a deep cycle as a starting battery than use a starting battery as a house battery.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 bank chargernia fine but what happens when you are runing the engine ....!?
The engine will only charge the battery that the switch is set to. If you want to charge both batteries you have to set the switch to "both", but then you're back to your initial problem of having the batteries not isolated.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drive and charge with the switch on both, then switch to aux if i want to play the stereo with the engine off.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I drive and charge with the switch on both, then switch to aux if i want to play the stereo with the engine off.
My fear is that if something inadvertently drains the battery, the switch was in both, so you have neither. That's why I'm always on one or the other unless I need both, or in on my way back to charge them both.

It seems there are many strategies, and all have some extra switch operations, risks and rewards.

Pick the one you like the most and can remember to apply :)

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My fear is that if something inadvertently drains the battery, the switch was in both, so you have neither. That's why I'm always on one or the other unless I need both, or in on my way back to charge them both.

It seems there are many strategies, and all have some extra switch operations, risks and rewards.

Pick the one you like the most and can remember to apply :)
You need to add an isolator or solenoid so both batteries charge if you want to just leave it on one. I use a solenoid on my rv.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
But won't that drop the voltage ?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral