• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I learned a lot about my Yamaha today

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I started my springtime mods/maintenance today, too nice out not to, and we want to go out tomorrow, for first run this year. I used the @CrankyGypsy method to change my oil, in FAQ section, complete oil change. I think everybody who changes their own oil/filter should do this method, at least once. I became very familiar with the bilge area, reaching for that last drain plug on the lower backside of the engine/oil cooler. I had kinda one of those aha moments and the bilge drains all made sense. I noticed the larger hole or recessed bilge pump, which I never looked closely enough as its view was mostly blocked by the scupper hose and cable conduit. Other members had mentioned that hole but I never put hands on it. The drain configuration made sense finally. The three chambers in the engine bay were designed mainly to mount engines, there are "spillways" under each engine to allow large amounts of accumulated water to make it way back to the pump. The drain plugs are meant to be left in and only opened on the occasion that a small amount of water, below the "spillways", enters a chamber and must be drained to the bilge pump. The scupper drain is meant to handle water from rain or that water that comes over the bow. If your ski locker gasket and fuel hatch seal are good no water should reach either of those two areas. Ski locker drains directly to bilge and fuel compartment drains to engine bay. If the ski locker seal leaks, as mine does, water from the bow area will enter there and make its way to the pump if the angle of the hull(keel/ stem) bow area is higher than the bilge pump. Sitting at rest, this will not happen. You either jack your boat up on the trailer or while on the water, at a point just before the boat gets on plane. Last year while at the dock I would turn on the pump and no water would come out, so I assumed no water there, so I would turn off. Lesson learned, leave the pump on while you are underway and watch for water from the bilge pump as you are about to reach plane. ( The bows highest angle above the water.)

The spark plugs were changed with no problems at #3 on either engine and the color was good. I know other members have said this, but some things make better sense when you do it yourself, could the pump be bigger or lower? Sure, but I think I will run with the bow cover on when windy/choppy , and fix my ski locker gasket. I have owned this Yamaha for almost a year now and consider myself new to it. But I learn the ins and outs as I go. Thank You all for all the good info on this forum. I no longer consider the drains an issue.20170426_141447.jpg 20170426_153500.jpg

Last edited:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you by chance pull the bilge pump (unsnap) and check for debris on the screen or in the pump? Good to do a few times a season.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@2nazt No good point, will do first thing in the morning before we go out, cleaned everything in engine bay but that, thanks.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@zipper incase you don't know the pump strainer has two snaps just push them and pull the pump out. Be a little easy with it as mine snapped when I did it the first time but that was in my 08 that had a lot of age on it. If you already then never mind lol.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@2nazt 07 here, thanks for the heads up.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
wow is that 4 separate flame arrestors?!

good lord restrictive airways

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@blacksapphirez Yes sir, and I have read that ribbon delete does not have any substantial gains on the MR-1s, I would rather put my money into trim tabs.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep, the MR1s are special... They get 4 arrestors...

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oh yeah... While you're at it, get some spray Teflon grease and shoot a little on the steering linkage behind the dash... Get where the rods go into the cables and also where your steering wheel attached to the helm. My 09 would get a little gravely sounding and that always helped. I also use that grease on the buckets and shift points and also the man how covers... It works well.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Matt Phillips I did spray all the control cables aft, Reverse buckets and steering, I will also spray the other end of the steering cables in the helm storage area. Thanks.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@blacksapphirez Yes sir, and I have read that ribbon delete does not have any substantial gains on the MR-1s, I would rather put my money into trim tabs.
It didn't do much for my supercharged 1.8 either. I should have spent my time and money for gas and fun on the lake instead. :D

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just an update...We took the boat out today for the first run of the year. It ran great after changing oil and plugs. The air temp was 81, the water temp was 45. Numbed legs below knees at launch and retrieve ,but a well spent day. Thanks @2nazt for the reminder to check bilge pump screen, there was a wad of crap partially clogging screen. We had fun, and saw maybe another dozen boats in the 5-6 miles we traveled. Mostly anchored off a local beach, had lunch and enjoyed the weather. The only thing of concern has a small leak of water from the port hose connector/flush port. Might have picked up something from the garden hose while running engines yesterday. It did seam to diminish near the end of the run. We will keep an eye on it.20170427_134406.jpg

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
45?! :eek:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you mean you port flush port was leaking? Was the cover tight? That caused a leak on mine if it wasn't totally secure. Glad you got the boat out and cleaned that screen!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@2nazt @Bill D Yes, cover was very tight. I checked starboard at the same time, took its cover off and no leak. I know they are spring loaded and I put the adapter back into the port port quickly, expecting more water, but it did not increase, popped out adapter and no real difference once I, believe me, screwed it on tight. It did diminish, and I thought there must have been something stuck on the spring loaded seal. I will check tightness of that assembly tomorrow, as I start installing the Kenwood amp, Polk speakers and trim tabs.

Ya 45.2 on the fishfinder, my face looked like your emoji, until my legs numbed. Believe me I walked on trailer rails to retrieve boat. I did not want to go any deeper, the shrivel factor was too high. I do not drive onto trailer.

Last edited: