• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I put a deposit in a 2021 Waverunner

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First of all, looked at craigslistS across State of California and called no less than six pwc stores before finding just two 2021 models available. My wife and I were looking at used models but realized we would not get all the new bells and whistles unless we bought a 2019 model or newer. So we had a choice between the super charged (Yellow and black) and non supercharged (Red and white) FX, neither of them cruisers. Both were available only because the original purchased backed out at the last minute. We went with the non super charged version (Red and white) because my wife didn’t like the super charged version’s colors and I didn’t like the cost premium of the super charger (faster acceleration and An increase of 6 to 8 mph on the top end to 68 to 70 mph) but for an additional $2k? For a ski that is rumored to burn fuel very quickly and which requires premium unleaded which I can’t often get on the water, pass, a reluctant pass but still a pass.

Anyway, we should be picking it up next weekend and plan to take it from the dealer to the water for a break in run followed by a lunch run. I also bought a cover, another lanyard, an extra cup holder ram mount and two cup holder inserts. Out the door cost including all taxes and prep is about &17k, without trailer. I am building up my amazon cart now, currently I have a keel guard, two Bluetooth speakers, related ram mount parts and registration letters/numbers

E1C3B472-AB91-4958-8E2F-8EF5CDEE6D3C.pngA21EF67B-8D1D-4D5A-A3CA-E049F1947203.jpeg4906079C-DFA9-4039-9D5A-4934A0D8C184.jpeg

Last edited:

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Gorgeous and love the Aluminum Trailer!
Happy Skiing!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gorgeous and love the Aluminum Trailer!
Happy Skiing!
Thanks but I didn’t buy the trailer as I already have one, just need to make space in it by selling one of my current skis. Although I liked the aluminum, I thought the tires were small compared to what I have now and not adequate for the distances and speeds I tow. Ironically, they wanted $1,399 for it (10% of the ski’s list price), at first I thought they mis-priced the ski and also thought I will take both skis at those prices. Trailer prices don’t have separate line items for shipping or dealer prep.

by the way, what a difference 70 plus miles make between dealers. My local dealer charges at least twice the dealer prep / profit fee that this place does. As far as I can tell prep consists of unboxing it, putting oil in it and installing a battery and fire extinguisher.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am still looking for 2 new fx ho cruisers, I went the supercharger route in the past and I prefer the N A models .

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ronnie, I guess participating on all those ski buying threads recently really bit you! :) Looks great, enjoy.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am still looking for 2 new fx ho cruisers, I went the supercharger route in the past and I prefer the N A models .
You may have better luck on the East Coast. Of the dealers I called, all were expecting more 2021 models to come in anytime between now and mid November and several stated that they will only be getting half or so units compared to what they got and sold last year. The dealer representative I bought from said they have deposits on all the waverunner’s they ordered. Maybe he was just puffing but the lack of inventory everywhere else I checked seems to support his statements.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ronnie, I guess participating on all those ski buying threads recently really bit you! :) Looks great, enjoy.
Not me so much as my wife. She fell in love with a 2020 limited we saw while paddle boarding a few weeks ago. After speaking with the female owner about it she told me we should get one, even if we financed part of the deal, before we could walk back to shore. My son and I were against the idea since we already have a 2003 Fx and 2006 fx cruiser that are serving us well. In the end I conceded the position under the “happy wife, happy life” justification. Plus she reminded me more than once that, “she is worth every (F’ing) penny.”

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like you picked the right ski. I like the colors of the FX HO better too. I really love my 2006 FX HO cruiser. Just winterized it yesterday. Winterizing my boat today. Same exact procedure, same exact engines. Love it!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The shop is closed today and the svho (supercharged model) is still available and haunting my dreams. I’m tempted to call them and have them prep the svho instead. Just struggling with the $2,000 price increase (I.e., is it worth it?). My wife is good without it but I’m on the fence as I know I can’t easily add a supercharger to the non supercharged version.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Stick with the FX HO. The supercharger will end up costing you much more in the long run. I find that I rarely can safely go over 50mph on my ski due to choppy water. Maybe the acceleration is a little better but I don't think that would be worth it. I put a Riva air filter in mine and my gps speedometer went from 59 to 64 on my 2006.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As of this moment I’m staying with the non supercharged model. As others have stated, the SC model will cost more, not just for the super charger but in taxes as well as gas. I don’t go to wot often but like the idea of being able to reach the current coast guard limit of 70 mph when I do. Plus the supercharged version comes in my current favorite color scheme.
42DFE813-624F-4108-8180-C21C46625506.jpeg80FC6AF2-6EAD-499A-9C0F-39573D486F9F.jpeg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Finally have my new skies, Took them out yesterday to do some break in time on them , I noticed the hulls are different and a bit squirrely around 15 to 20 mph they want to wiggle from side to side but if the trim is up 1 notch it is a lot better, they also have strong acceleration and appear to use less fuel than the 2014 models .

Attachments

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Finally have my new skies, Took them out yesterday to do some break in time on them , I noticed the hulls are different and a bit squirrely around 15 to 20 mph they want to wiggle from side to side but if the trim is up 1 notch it is a lot better, they also have strong acceleration and appear to use less fuel than the 2014 models .
Well that's a great and appropriate Christmas present for you..Congrats!
Looking forward to your feedback.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I checked on a P W C site to see if anyone else had that issue and it appears that all the 2019 and newer do the same thing, I adjusted the trim up 2 full turns as I also noticed the hull is plowing water with the trim in the normal center and it slides across the water easier with it on the first setting up so between that and possibly making custom ride plates with a special twist I can get rid of this as it is very annoying if you hold that speed it will continue to quickly rock from side to side, if you accelerate over that speed and then slow back down it does not appear to do it as people have mentioned.
Have my zinc anodes added , moved the wall back in the front compartment under the hood, made my Jeff Cruise lever that makes breaking in the engine easy as it secures the throttle with the cruise on and lets you bump the speed up and down without any need to keep your hand on the throttle.
Added my steering , padded the throttle lever, installed my camera mounts, redesigned my intake grates ,never seized my spark plugs dielectric grease on the coil boots, sprayed the engines and pumps with white lithium grease and sprayed all the electrical connections with silicon spray , built the flush kit fittings to add the car wash soap when flushing, blocked the stupid back deck water sprayer, and built the custom engine cover bolts that are easy to remove and install. Also modified the tow hooks to make it a snap to place the tow rope on and remove it.
Still need to add the hidden trolling motor mount fittings.
Also a word of advice the gas filler is out on the front left of the hull where anyone can access it easily I liked it in under the hood for numerous reasons but one thing I did not realize until I put gas in for the first time, there is a plastic vent top right in the top of the filler and it obstructs the opening if you use the big fuel cans with the big spout it won't accommodate the wide spout also if you mount your registration decal near it since the decal is required to be on the left side of the hull, you will !!! spill fuel and if it hits the year and month sticker it will totally obliterate the ink showing the date . Ask me how I know and now I have to think of a fix for that. I usually only have to set up one ski at a time now I have to do twice the work. But I am nearly finished making it a Jeff Ski !!

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have pics or links to all the mods you mention above?
Flush kit fittings,
Padded Throttle
Intake Grate
Trolling motor Mount
Custom engine cover bolts
Modified tow hooks
Moving the storage wall back

just trying to understand each of the mods.
After you have more seat time with the hulls looking forward to more feedback.
When you mention it plows through the water, at what speed? My VX hull does that at no wake speeds.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Do you have pics or links to all the mods you mention above?

Flush kit fittings,
it is a pig tail that has the flush fitting on one end and a hose quick release fitting on the other , you plug in the pigtail and put in the soap then attach the hose and run the engine with the water when you see the soap stop exiting the side of the ski and the exhaust water has no more soap exiting you unhook it and let the engine run about 30 to 40 seconds at an idle and then shut it off. DO NOT REV THE ENGINE ON THE TRAILER!

Padded Throttle
simply cut some soft material or what ever you have around that is soft I use either rubber or felt Glue it to the throttle lever outer surface. Makes for a comfortable throttle.

Intake Grate
TOP SECRET but you would need to be able to weld aluminum to fabricate it!

Trolling motor Mount
I have posted those in the past but you would need to be able to weld stainless steel to build that as well.

Custom engine cover bolts
you must be able to weld stainless steel to do those. remove those 2 bolts clean the top surface get some stainless steel chain links and weld the link to the top of the bolt now you can tighten them easily and at the end place a screwdriver in the link hole and give it a bit more torque , to loosen it just stick the screwdriver in and get it to break loose then turn it using the link.

Modified tow hooks
you need to weld stainless for those form some stainless steel in a C shape and weld it to the end of the existing top point so you can slip the tow rope loop up inside the original hole and loop it over the extension to remove just flip the loop back over the new extension and pull it back through the original hole .

Moving the storage wall back
easy one just pull the 4 plastic expansion pins that hold the wall in place on these skies you can actually move the right side back about 2 inches just drill new holes in the plastic wall as there is plenty of room , on the left side you can move it back about 1 inch next to the filler tube and 2 inches on the bottom hole, reinstall the plastic expansion pins and you have more room in that area.

just trying to understand each of the mods.
After you have more seat time with the hulls looking forward to more feedback.
When you mention it plows through the water, at what speed? My VX hull does that at no wake speeds.

Last edited:

Mr-Will

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Looks good. I was looking at the Sea-Doo fish pro. But the fueling cap is inside the storage compartment. That’s a turn off for me. Now I thinking about a Yamaha VX Limited.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m still waiting for my go 1800 r ho but added another $2,500 to the deposit yesterday. The goal being to reduce the sting of the total cost when I pick it up.

I also ordered new square I bolts from FE trailer, I’m putting new bunks on it and wanted to replace the ubolts as well because I have broken and replaced a few over the 11 years I’ve owned the trailer.

lastly some of the related items I purchased just came in, like two wet suits, two sets of gloves, two and two sets of water shores. Why two of everything? One set is for my wife. We plan to use the new waverunners a lot and our season willstart soon after my ski is delivered even though the it is still to cold for us to start boating.
2019B01C-45EB-4AE6-A918-0AAF8F7C0B1C.png