• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I think I BLEW IT......... IDIOT !!!! PLEASE HELP !!!!

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
HI JBers.....

I would really appreciate your help....

'16 SX190 owner out fishing with a buddy yesterday for about 3 hours. I only noticed nearing the end of the day that the bilge was coming on every 5-6 minutes.......I hadnt noticed it at all during the first 2.5 hrs and Im fairly cognizant with my boat and surroundings.

So I opened the engine cover and saw the pics attached.

Yes the blue stuff is marine grease, so Im guessing Ive blown some kind of seal in that housing.
During my 10 hr maintenance (about 3 months ago) I greased the housing and hadnt noticed any grease in the engine compartment until today.

Shit - now what ??? Can I, as a semi non mechanical guy fix this ? Or did I shoot myself in the wallet.

AND when I took the boat out of the water, brought it home I took out the two small transom drain plugs, no water came out, went into the ski locker and there was about 1/2 inch IN the locker and then I pumped out 17 LITRES OR 3.7 GALLONS of water from UNDERNEATH the locker....

This cannot be right !!! ??? !!!

When I go boating the plugs in the ski locker, and fuel compartment are OUT - my thinking is that if water does enter the boat I want it to get to the bilge for extraction......BUT I was fishing today - NO WATER SPORTS, 2 people in the boat for about 3 hrs......no swimming, no driving in such a manner to take on water.

I will add that I had my dealer have a transducer/GPS installed about 1 month ago - but the mechanic didnt plug the hole that was drilled into the transom So they sent me some marine caulking and that silver/3 screw trianlge thing to fill the hole and seal out water...... whether or not I sealed it properly, could water enter that transom ducer hole and make it to UNDER the ski locker ????
20170807_094229.jpg 20170807_094331.jpg

PLEASE are then any folks out there that are having water issue with there boat ???

20170806_114754.jpg 20170806_114808.jpg

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Blew a seal, best to take it to the deal it warranty anyways. You just got the boat this year.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we don't see this very often, that grease point is for water intrusion only, it doesn't help the bearing at all,

Do you remember how many pumps you put into the zerk?

I don't have a specific answer for your question but the thread below is from our FAQ tab and it should give you some ideas,
https://jetboaters.net/threads/intermediate-bearings.2122/

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since your boat is new and you know where the leak is I would call your dealer and ask them to repair under warranty. That bearing needs to be replaced.

As for the water in the boat I am wondering how the boat was tilted. Would it have drained out the back if the bow was elevated?

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah I squeezed that trigger about 35-40 times......

As for the tilt of the boat - Id say its only about 4-5 degrees up from level in my driverway......

But whether the water drains or not and assuming the ducer hole is the water infiltration point (which I really dont think it is) can that water entering the transom travel UNDER the ski locker..... ???

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The bilge should run from bow to stern. If the boat is tilted forward bilge water will run up to the bow, if it is tilted back it will run back to the drains. It should not get stuck but at the right angle could concentrate in the middle.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you should wait until the season is over before taking the boat in for warranty work unless water actually starts leaking into the boat quickly through the now bad bearing seal.

As for the gallons water in the bilge, my opinion is that it was there before just stuck in the low part of the bow. Still it can't hurt to check that the cooling Hose is still connected and that it is not leaking.

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thankyou brother for taking the time to help me out here.....

The 3.7 Gallons of water was taken out UNDERNEATH the ski locker...... 1/2 of water IN the ski locker....

The engine compartment where my bilge is had minimal water but it engaged ever 5-6 mins due to what I believe is a ruptured seal in the bearing housing of the "impeller unit" ..... the pictures dont lie - water was coming into the engine compartment.
@Bruce , @Scottintexas have graciously chimed in and I feel I should take her into get fixed...... no disrespect intended !!!

I 99% sure Ive stabbed myself in the wallet with toooo many cc's of marine grease busting the seal......

On the SUPER side I..... no WE saved me 200 some odd CDN $$$ on my 10 hr oil change......(its that like $1.50 USD ???)

So Im grateful to the fine folks on this forum......

cheers lads and be swell....

TiMaH

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@TiMaH, is there a drain plug from the ski locker are into the engine compartment?

All of my drain plugs are out so things can drain.

Best of luck, I hope the dealer will replace that bearing under warranty. If not people here have done it and can talk you through the process. You certainly have to pull the pump (15 minute job) and likely will need to move the the engine to free up space.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm kind of with Ronnie, I'd trouble shoot it some more,
does it leak like that while running or just floating?
If you take your boat to the dealer you're probably going to lose the rest of the summer,

If you decide to take in and the dealer is going to make you pay for it you might want to consider a PWC shop, they might be more familiar with it than your dealer mechanic,

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@TiMaH
Also check your anchor locker drain. Many guys have reported poor craftsmanship coming out of Yamahas factory.

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
TYVM Bruce for you help........

As you sir, all interior plugs are OUT..... I just finished raising the boat probably a good 15 degrees off level....

I ran a hose(water) into the ski locker and let in run.......I pulled the fuel floor cover...... water was flowing from the ski locker hole plug - bypassing the fuel compartment - (as water was noted flowing at the open fuel drain plug) and then out through the transom plugs................so not obstructions......

Soooooooooo...... my conclusion is 3.7 gallons UNDER the ski locker does not drain unless I live on a hill......

I cant see it being under warranty as Im the Bonehead that pumped too much grease....

Oh well....... sh-t happens and you cant win 'em all

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm kind of with Ronnie, I'd trouble shoot it some more,
does it leak like that while running or just floating?
If you take your boat to the dealer you're probably going to lose the rest of the summer,

If you decide to take in and the dealer is going to make you pay for it you might want to consider a PWC shop, they might be more familiar with it than your dealer mechanic,
@buckbuck I believe the anchor leakage issues are with the FSH boats......but I will def look for any water infiltration on my SX....and Ill continue to search for folks with SX's on the forums that may have an issue with the anchor locker.....TYVM

@Scottintexas thanx m8 for the PWC shop idea .......and SERIOUSLY the rest of the summer............That didnt even cross my mind.
.........SH-T..........

I was already pre scheduled to brig her in on the 14th............ for throttle drop, cruise assist issues, ducer mount issues, and well, now this crap.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That stream of water in the noted picture is CONSTANT.......while sitting still its kinda like the end of a PEE..... arcing !!!
While on plane.....the water is flowing straight out at pressure...

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That issue exists on all kinds of Yamahas. Everyone should check it.
Thankyou brother for your time on this....... but Im feeling this one is beyond me.......Im thinking Ill just try to educate myself as best I can to sound knowledgeable come dealer time......
I understand the SX's come with NO grease in the housing unit at time of shipment/purchase - and at the 10 hr maintenance, that is when grease is infused into the bearing housing.........so I think im SOL ...... Ive cleaned it up as best I can ......BUT theres always hope.....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It separated the rubber from the housing I learned never grease those as there is no place for them to vent I now have 500 hours on both of mine and no problems yet just leaving the things alone. You will need that one replaced.