• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I think I burnt my amplifier

Sef123123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Like an idiot I decided to do some speakers work & from some reason which I'm not sure yet why, And what happened I think I created a short and I started to notice smoke coming out from the amplifier my question ( When I open it I smelled a strong burnt smell) is do you think I can send this to a place to get it fixed/ repaired or I'm wasting my money & time and I should just get a new amplifier, it just sucks because I know it's expensive one.... what do you guys think I should do?? by the way I live in orlando, Fl If anyone think he could help me by any chance....:(

Attachments

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would contact wetsounds to see what they are willing to do for you or where they point you. If no dice with wetsounds I may be willing to buy as is.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What did you do to create a short?

Sef123123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What did you do to create a short?
15247114865431067750413.jpg
All I know is that I conncted a new speaker and I moved the the button of the crossover from low to high, then the speaker start to make some weird noise, right away I disconnect the wire shortly after that I noticed the smoke, i turn off the power switch... I'm not sure if the tower speaker, or the two subwoofers are burned,they didn't work after I turn back the power on, But what I know is that radio is working fine and the rest of the speakers that connect directly to the radio working ok.
Any chance I burnt the speakers that were connected to the amplifier? I am so disappointed at myself this is over $1,100 mistake ( not including 2 wet sounds subwoofers & 2 Tower speakers from kicker) I wonder if there is a lab or a store that I can go to like Geek Squad that might be able to help me....

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you fried the amp. I’d call the mfg, even if you fried the amp they may have a repair and/or upgrade program to help you from a replacement cost perspective. For example, I backed up while my stern ladder was down which made it impossible to stow, windline took my broken ladder and charged me about 1/2 price for a new one. The speakers are easy to test just hook them up to a different source and crank up the volume. @David Analog is a stereo pro as I recall maybe he will share his thoughts on this.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they wont help you then let me know. I might be able to fix it. I'm an electronics engineer.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Possibly the settings can only be changed with power off.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not a wet sound guy, but any way you hooked up the led wires to the speaker or vice versa? Switching the crossover should never fry an amp. I've done this 100s of times on dozens of amps. Even shorting the speaker wire should not fry an amp. Hooking power up in reverse polarity may cause issues. I've never tried that!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hooking power up in reverse polarity may cause issues.
I don't know about amps (and reading this thread to learn).

But here is what do know: reversing polarity makes bilge pumps caput.
LOL.

--

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you sure it's the amp that's blown and not your speakers. If you had your system on and it was turned up when you switched the high/low filter that will kill your speaker really fast. Don't ask me how I know :woot:

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am in Orlando also
How long ago did you purchase the amp?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, may well have been reversed polarity on power leads.

I did this, like an idiot, on a brand new JL Audio amp a couple years ago. Instantly heard a loud pop the moment I powered up. Fortunately, the pop was the properly sized in-line fuse I had installed on the power circuit right by the battery. Only cost me some pride and a couple $ to replace the blown fuse.

Double check your power polarity and, by all means, make sure you have proper fuse or circuit breaker protection on all DC circuits in your boat (significant fire hazard if you don't - could cost you way more than a blown amp!)

Sef123123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are you sure it's the amp that's blown and not your speakers. If you had your system on and it was turned up when you switched the high/low filter that will kill your speaker really fast. Don't ask me how I know :woot:
So I had a conversation with wet sound customer service today I explained them what happened, I explained them that I purchased the boat with the amplifier & he told me that the warranty is not transferable but he told me I can send the amplifier to them and they will try to fix it, and if they will fail they will give me a new amplifier for a discounted price...
Now I'm very curious to know if there's a chance I really burnt only the speakers, and not the amplifier... problem is I already disconnected everything and put it in the Box for tomorrow....

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you saw smoke from your amp I doubt it’s the speaker.
What size fuse do you have for that amp?
Is the fuse blown?
When messing with speakers and amp did you unplug all power and cords and then attempt to plug everything back in and might have hooked up wrong?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great to hear that wetsounds is working with you. Hard to say without being there if the speakers are ok. If a voice coil created the short then of course not. If it were me I would wait until I get a amp back and make sure to tune it before hooking up the speakers. Start at a low volume with the source and see how things go.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Come to think of it. Ohm testing the speakers before hooking back up would be a good idea.

Sef123123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you saw smoke from your amp I doubt it’s the speaker.
What size fuse do you have for that amp?
Is the fuse blown?
When messing with speakers and amp did you unplug all power and cords and then attempt to plug everything back in and might have hooked up wrong?
It has 4×30 amp fuse, I did not unplug nothing I just conncted a small 6"5 speaker that was connected to the radio to see the difference between the volume of the radio and the amplifier, I couldn't hear barely nothing except some base sound, so I thought maybe I can Play with the buttons a little bit. and all I remember is moving the crossover from low to high....what a Shame...

Attachments

Last edited:

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Call wetsounds. I fried my HT-4 last year and they took it apart and determined it was faulty equipment; not anything I did. In turn they sent me the newer model HT-4X at no additional cost. All I had to do was prove I bought from a wetsounds authorized dealer.

Sef123123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok so I have an update on the wet sound amp: they told me I'm out of warranty and I can get a "stock B" witch has only 90 days warranty- pretty refurbished amplifier For $500 or good luck with a new one $1200. I'm not sure if it's worth it to take a risk and buy a used amp with limited warranty for $500 or did they cheaper but brand new with three years warranty??
What do you guys suggest me to do I'm not a sound freak, All I want is a decent volume and a reliable amplifier I have 6× 6'5 kickers. 2×8' tower kickers. & 2× 10' wet sound subwoofer. Do you think a cheap 8 Channel Rockville amplifier will handle all speakers?? If I have a $500 budget which amplifier will you guys recommend me to purchase? I can settle for an amp just for the 2 subwoofers and for the 2 Tower speakers I want to avoid having to amps on the boat for now...

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Send me the amp first. Might be able to fix it.