• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I want to go to Bimini 2017

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want to go to Bimini in 2017, I vote we move the trip up to the Last couple of weeks in May..

Any input?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I want to go to Bimini in 2017, I vote we move the trip up to the Last couple of weeks in May..

Any input?
That might impact people that have kids in school but otherwise would probably work.

The reason the trip has been typically planned for June or July is that the Bimini Tourism group only does their guided tour in June and July, so we figured if that was a good time for them to take groups across then it would be a good time for us too.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kids will still be in school so we wouldn't be able to make it. I am upgrading to a 24 ft so I would really hate to miss it next year.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My wife and I plan to go in 2017. We don't have any kids, so we can go whenever. To work around my work schedule, after mid-May would be best.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We're in FL the 2nd and 3rd week of May. It's possible I could go then. June is no good till I retire.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing wrong with having two trips, one in May and one in June/July, especially if you have enough people.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Any input?
Are your kids out of school then?

The trip has often been moved later due to school schedules.

This year the water was pretty bad in May. That timeframe was worse than what is predicted for next week.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah my kids are out of school mid May, however are tied up all June..

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Isn't that illegal to tie kids up for that long? :smuggrin::hilarious::p

Sorry couldn't resist.
Mississippi law is over 32 days.. so June fits..

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who here is Flexible in travel times? As in could you just up and take off for a week if the weather forcast called for it?

Richard Lajoie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dates are tough for everyone, I would like to do one the last week in June. I'm a teacher and May does not work.

Last edited:

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
June has usually been preferred. One, due to school and family schedules. Also, June is better for avoiding hurricane season. If you can wait until last minute, then July is fine to find an open weather window. If you are planning 6-8 months in advance, you take the better odds and go with June.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The November to Late May ocean weather this year was brutal! Late May into June it has become a lot better in the West Palm Area.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My wife and I plan to go in 2017. We don't have any kids, so we can go whenever. To work around my work schedule, after mid-May would be best.
I would like to join yall Bill!:)

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would like to join yall Bill!:)
We'd be happy to go. The kid gets out officially on May 25th but I'm quite sure the last week of school is just cleaning up and BS anyway. We're planning on going to Bimini, flying to Atlantis for a few days, then coming back to Bimini to finish out the week before heading home.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guys, I want everyone to realize that as much fun as Bimini is, it also is an adventure and can be a dangerous one. Some of us have years of salt water boating experience that makes Bimini easy but most of us are lake boaters who will likely find the crossing to Bimini shocking. In 2014 two boats that had been preparing for months for the trip were swamped during the group crossing. Fortunately both were near Port Everglades where help was quickly available but had the swampings occurred out in the Gulf Stream little could have been done beyond transferring the people to other boats. I strongly encourage everyone who is going to Bimini in boats of our size to do so in a well organized group.

The summer traditionally has calmer water in the Gulf Stream. But there is no month or date range that guarantees good water. This year May was a particularly rough month. For some reason the summer calm has not sat in this year. Even next Monday (July 4th) is showing tightly spaced 3' seas with 15 MPH winds in the face of anyone crossing to Bimini.

There will be a planning thread for Bimini 2017 started early in 2017. My family is excited about going back for our fourth Bimini trip. @Andy S, @upperdeck and I believe four others who are no longer active on the forum(s) started this great tradition in 2011.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No wife, no kids, no problems :winkingthumbsup".

I live a couple miles from Port Everglades and can go any time. I plan on going the group for the 2017 trip or trips if there are multiple. Assuming I'm allowed to join the group considering that I'll now be a prop and no longer a jet.....;)
We had three experienced prop boats on the crossing this year. They chose not to cross with our jet boats but enjoyed the fun and discounts. We would be glad to have you.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce is right, everyone wants to go thats for sure, but it has to be organized and planned. There is little room for error in these boats out in the ocean. I am excited to go with the group next year as is my wife.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce - what site are you using for your marine forecast? I'd love to see how much it will help me locally in the Gulf.