• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ice chests

Tkerhokap

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm trying to see if anyone has a yeti, perma chill, igloo Yukon, or engel ice chest. I'm thinking of getting one if it will hold ice through the weekend plus a day or too but I'm worried I'll drop several hundos on one and my wife will get to tell me how I blew money on a heavy cooler..... Anyone got any feedback on these?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't have any of those coolers. I have an AO soft side cooler that works great. No matter what cooler I use I add a couple of frozen hot 'n cold packs that extend the life ice buy a day or so. The packs only cost about $3 which is cheaper than those extensive coolers.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have two AO Coolers (36 and 24)we use exclusively for the boat and love them.

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have just about every YETI size there is. Great ice chest and will retain ice for days in high temps, but they are very heavy and bulky and for that reason I bought a few AO coolers specifically for the boat.

Last edited:

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have AO cooler softsided black in color. Good thing is if you have to smush it down or wedge it in you can..unlike a hard cooler. Plus it has an outside pocket that's great for phones, etc. Definitely a must !!!!! And it WILL keep your drinks cold for DAYS !!!

Chris Tronzano

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a yeti it was given to me as a gift. If you are using as a day cooler it is an overpriced heavy POS, it's great if you pack it with ice and keep it shut.

If you open and close it several times a day it's no better than a cheap Coleman or igloo. For the boat I much prefer my AO or Norchill.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use AO and Norchill. Both are great, Norchill is cheaper with a two for one they occasionally have. Frozen water bottles work great too...

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I use a regular Igloo. @Chris Tronzano is right - if you're going in and out constantly thruout the day, don't waste your money.
We keep it out on the floor the entire time - easy to get to and a handy footrest.

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My two brother in laws have yeti coolers and I have one also. We all like them one is that huge size that is too heavy even when empty! We load it with ice and use it to refill the others. Yes, there is a big difference in a yeti than our blue cubes or other igloos. Are they worth the the price tag? It's really a luxury item. Mine was a gift, I'm really thankful to be on the receiving end! Also, because of the construction, we sit on them without worry of denting the top, that is a plus. Mine matches my boat! (See pic)

Venkman

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As already stated, the Yeti is great for holding ice for a longer period of time. But I think the real draw back to the Yeti is the inside space per size of the cooler. The Yeti I own can keep a 12 pack and ice cold or three days easy, but you aren't going to get much more in there and a 12 pack doesn't last me or anyone else I know for 3 days. I really think for a boat you are better off buying a coleman or igloo.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am using a AO (36) and like not having to pull the seat off to access it. This may be less of an issue with the hinged seats on the 2015 24' models, but it was a pain to access the originally provided cooler under the seat. If you left it out, it would slide around and bang up the boat. The soft-sided cooler is much better in this regard.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
But if you don't want to cut a HUGE HOLE in your boat, you can go with one of these:

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-ENGFREEZERFRIDGES?src=Y0807GL0N0N10000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CJjEhoOIosACFQypaQodwysAHw

I plan on getting one right after I install the Jacuzzi in my boat! :p
I considered getting a portable 12v refrigerator but I did not want it to be in the way. It is really nice to have a fridge full of cold drinks waiting in the boat. Getting ice and filling the ice chest was a big part of preboating routine.

I only had to cut part of a huge hole. Yamaha had already cut more than half of it.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I considered getting a portable 12v refrigerator but I did not want it to be in the way. It is really nice to have a fridge full of cold drinks waiting in the boat. Getting ice and filling the ice chest was a big part of preboating routine.

I only had to cut part of a huge hole. Yamaha had already cut more than half of it.
Like they say, a boat is just a huge hole in the water.....

:winkingthumbsup"

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another AO Cooler user here, we have the 24 and 36. Love them.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use either AO or NorChill softside coolers. We keep the coolers in the ski locker. Any cooler will hold ice much longer if you keep them out of direct sun.